DCIM sub-folders on my iPhone 7 or any model iPhone,,, so many sub-folders ??????

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If I want to transfer pictures or videos from my Galaxy S7 I just plug my S7 into my PC via USB and ALL my pictures and videos show from my S7 on my PC and I can pick and choose what to move from my S7 to my PC,, easy !!!

When I plug my iPhone 7 (and all my other past iPhones) into my PC, open my iPhone DCIM I always have about 30 or 40 sub-folders,, I then have to search thru all those sub-folders to find any pictures or videos I just took and wish to transfer yo my PC.

What am I doing wrong ?
What is the fix that would enable me to just be able to view my pictures or videos without having to search thru 30 or 40 sub-folders ?

If I only had to look thru 2 or 3 sub-folders on my iPhone to view my thumbnails that would be no big deal,,, but having to search thru so many folders is really not fun.

Thanks much in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers
Davyo

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone has NEVER been engineered or designed for file-level access. Yes you can get to the pictures folder structure fairly easy but Apple has chosen to focus on cloud services to move files (pics) around. iCloud Photo Library works great for me (although it really needs a Mac to go with the iPhone), but I also use Google Photos and Amazon Photos (and sometimes Dropbox and OneDrive) for moving and saving pics

Last edited:

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I should explain my situation better to clarify.

I shoot a lot of HD videos in 1080p or 4K with my iPhone 7,,,, I wish to move those videos onto my 13" iPad Pro to edit with iMovie.
I have ALL the wifi transfer apps that transfer between my iPad and iPhone but they take forever to transfer big video files and sometimes won't even transfer the files, I also have Dropbox but that takes forever as well.
To combat this I hook my iPhone to my PC, transfer the video files to my PC, then put those video files on an SD card, then I use my lighting SD card reader to hook to my iPad Pro to put the larger video files into my iPad Pro to edit in iMovie,,,, that all works perfectly !!!!!

The problem is finding those video files on my iPhone when I hook my iphone up to my PC,,, I have to search thru 30 to 40 sub-folders on my iphone just to find the videos I just shot.
Some sub-folders will have 3 or 4 pictures while other sub-folders will have a few hundred pictures and some videos mixed in,,,, opening and searching thru each sub-folder one at a time is a complete nightmare.

Hopefully that explains my issue better.

Davyo

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
DCIM sub-folders on my iPhone 7 or any model iPhone,,, so many sub-folders ??...

Use iCloud.

Any video recorded on the iPhone is directly accessible on the iPad. and vice versa. Would be unnecessary to have the PC in your workflow.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: DCIM sub-folders on my iPhone 7 or any model iPhone,,, so many sub-folders ??...

Use iCloud.

Any video recorded on the iPhone is directly accessible on the iPad. and vice versa. Would be unnecessary to have the PC in your workflow.

True, I have photo stream turned on with all my iPads and iPhone,,, it just takes a really really long time for photo stream to put those big 1080p or 4K video files on my iPads,,, and I do have a super fast wifi home connection.

When transferring via my lighting cable and SD card those large video file can be transferred in minutes,,,,,, photo stream by comparison is unbearably slow.

Davyo

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
And what if you are in the bush shoot some video then at night in a tent want to work those files? Internet connection not accessible to use cloud...so bad 💡

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
when i had a pc i found it super annoying too. now I'm on mac its a lot easier since you use their photo app to manage/import photos.

haven't come across a solution. just a terrible experience for pc users.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
DCIM sub-folders on my iPhone 7 or any model iPhone,,, so many sub-folders ??...

True, I have photo stream turned on with all my iPads and iPhone,,, it just takes a really really long time for photo stream to put those big 1080p or 4K video files on my iPads,,, and I do have a super fast wifi home connection.

When transferring via my lighting cable and SD card those large video file can be transferred in minutes,,,,,, photo stream by comparison is unbearably slow.

Davyo

Would using iTunes on your PC provide any benefits to the workflow? Via USB, sync iPhone to iTunes, then sync iPad to iTunes. Probably faster than the clouds, but not speedy in any since.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Why not for documents?

You can add documents and you can remove documents via iTunes and sync to your iPhone. Under apps in iTunes when your phone is connected, you can scroll to the bottom. From there you can see which apps you can add docs too, like Excel, Word, PDF, Mobi, ePub, etc.. it's quite easy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro