Data use increase since iphone

mwohrlin

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a Blackberry Storm2 and my average data use was about 200MB/month. Ever since I got the iphone, my average data use has jumped to about 1GB/month. I feel I have been using the iphone about the same as I used the Blackberry. Both phones had wifi and I utilized it the same for both phones. Granted, I do download apps and such. But 800MB worth a month? Doesn't sound right. Has anyone else experienced this?

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have. I used about 600MB per month on my old Storm2. I used FB, RSS, Twitter, and Pandora (a lot) and still use it all on my iPhone. Now my usage has ballooned to 3.6GB (yeah, I said gigs). I am now getting throttled by Big Red and I am not liking it.

Anyone wanna trade? iP4 for a 9930/9850?

EDIT: Now I know why these things brought AT&Ts network to its knees.

Last edited:

Corey

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If I remember my Blackberry knowledge correctly, doesn't the data that comes to your phone through a BIS plan get compressed? I believe that's what happens. You may be using the phone in a similar fashion, but without the server side compression, you're using using more data to accomplish similar functions.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If I remember my Blackberry knowledge correctly, doesn't the data that comes to your phone through a BIS plan get compressed? I believe that's what happens. You may be using the phone in a similar fashion, but without the server side compression, you're using using more data to accomplish similar functions.
You are correct, Corey. All data on a Blackberry device is processed through RIM servers. iPhone data is not compressed and therefore will use more data than a Blackberry would use.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have. I used about 600MB per month on my old Storm2. I used FB, RSS, Twitter, and Pandora (a lot) and still use it all on my iPhone. Now my usage has ballooned to 3.6GB (yeah, I said gigs). I am now getting throttled by Big Red and I am not liking it.

yes iPhones are data hogs. At&t was not prepared for the iPhone the first couple of years. Much better these days.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
yes iPhones are data hogs. At&t was not prepared for the iPhone the first couple of years. Much better these days.

I think one of the main reason why it has been better on AT&T recently has to do with Verizon getting the iPhone, which cleared up some of the congestion on AT&T's servers. I would expect things to get even better once Sprint and possibly T-Mobile get the iPhone as well. :)

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

Do you know for sure that you are getting throttled, and if so, how?

mwohrlin

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

Well that's a bummer. I didn't know that. +1 for RIM on that note. But not enough for me to switch back.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.731216,-92.474852

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon begins throttling iPhone unlimited 3G customers who use 2GB/month | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I suspected and called them and they told me I was "unusually high" with my data usage. To which I respond, "yeah, that's why I pay for unlimited data." But unlimited becomes very limited when you are forced to trickling data speeds.

I smell a class action suit before too long for anyone on a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Cheggy

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
iPhone data DOES get compressed if you use an app called ONAVO. It's free at the minute and I save around 1 gig a month

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I suspected and called them and they told me I was "unusually high" with my data usage. To which I respond, "yeah, that's why I pay for unlimited data." But unlimited becomes very limited when you are forced to trickling data speeds.

I smell a class action suit before too long for anyone on a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Being limited after only 2GB of data usage does seem like it defeats the whole purpose of having an unlimited plan. I use a little more than that on AT&T but so far they haven't said or done anything about it.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a Blackberry Storm2 and my average data use was about 200MB/month. Ever since I got the iphone, my average data use has jumped to about 1GB/month. I feel I have been using the iphone about the same as I used the Blackberry. Both phones had wifi and I utilized it the same for both phones. Granted, I do download apps and such. But 800MB worth a month? Doesn't sound right. Has anyone else experienced this?

For some odd reason, when I first got my iPhone I jumped from 500MB to about 3GB in just two weeks. I just think that the iPhone uses more data than a Blackberry, not exactly sure why tho.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I would say that if you are doing a lot of web surfing, iPhone will use more data than a BB per se, as it gives you a richer, fuller web browsing experience.

anon(5298)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will not AUTOMATICALLY throttle your data when you surpass 2GB of data each month... Besides the 3G and "Unlimited" data factor (Which obviously applies to iPhone users who don't have 4G), they will only throttle you if you are on a tower that is heavily congested at that moment.

It is not as if as soon as you hit the 2GB mark you will be throttled for the rest of the billing period... Only if you are tying up the network for everybody else.

You always have to give up something to get something in this world and smartphone data falls under the same analogy..

gkl

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will not AUTOMATICALLY throttle your data when you surpass 2GB of data each month... Besides the 3G and "Unlimited" data factor (Which obviously applies to iPhone users who don't have 4G), they will only throttle you if you are on a tower that is heavily congested at that moment.

It is not as if as soon as you hit the 2GB mark you will be throttled for the rest of the billing period... Only if you are tying up the network for everybody else.

You always have to give up something to get something in this world and smartphone data falls under the same analogy..

True statement. Doesn't happen all the time. But when I was at the ASU game I was stuck with no data for the ENTIRE GAME! Really pissed me off.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I used 200-300 MB a month in data on my old BB Storm but on the iphone I use about 800 MB a month and this month for the first time I'm going over 1 Gig. I find that I'm most definitely using the phone differently than I used the storm, because web browsing was very unpleasant on the BB, but is just the opposite on the iphone. So i do the same things I did on the BB, but more of it.

As my usage is about 25% higher than usual this month, I wonder if some game i recently downloaded is hogging lots of data in the background. I don't have any pandora type app, and i rarely if ever stream audio over 3G.