data plan swap

srkdoc

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 with unlimited ATT data plan. My wife has an iPad three with a 3gb ATT data plan. It turns out that most of my usage is on wifi (I checked my usage and consume less than 1gb/month of cellular data) and most usage for my wife is via cellular data (often exceeding 3gb/mo.) We would like to swap plans so that her iPad gets the unlimited data plan. We thought about swapping ipads, but we each use some different apps. If we need to exchange sims then won't we wind up with each others apps/accounts/itunes? How can we exchange data plans across these 2 iPads?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 with unlimited ATT data plan. My wife has an iPad three with a 3gb ATT data plan. It turns out that most of my usage is on wifi (I checked my usage and consume less than 1gb/month of cellular data) and most usage for my wife is via cellular data (often exceeding 3gb/mo.) We would like to swap plans so that her iPad gets the unlimited data plan. We thought about swapping ipads, but we each use some different apps. If we need to exchange sims then won't we wind up with each others apps/accounts/itunes? How can we exchange data plans across these 2 iPads?

I have Verizon so my answer may be off a bit. Anyway, wouldn't it be easier for both of you to backup your devices via iCloud and/or iTunes? Afterwards, swap SIM cards and then restore your devices. After that, restore from the backup you made.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The AppleIDs are separate from the SIM/AT&T accounts/plans... I'm a Verizon person too... but I believe all you need to do is swap sims and all will be well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The AppleIDs are separate from the SIM/AT&T accounts/plans... I'm a Verizon person too... but I believe all you need to do is swap sims and all will be well.

No need to restore. Just swap SIM cards and done.

If they just swap their SIMS, wouldn't their iCloud, other mail accounts, apps & photos remain of the devices they are already on? Wouldn't they have to at least logout of iTunes, iCloud, etcetera and then logback in with their own Apple IDs? I honestly don't know. The last SIM card device that I owned was a Blackberry BOLD.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
They shouldn't need to do anything other than swap sims... They still want to use the same AppleID, etc. on the same iPads - no change needed.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If they just swap their SIMS, wouldn't their iCloud, other mail accounts, apps & photos remain of the devices they are already on? Wouldn't they have to at least logout of iTunes, iCloud, etcetera and then logback in with their own Apple IDs? I honestly don't know. The last SIM card device that I owned was a Blackberry BOLD.

That's not tied to the sim. Only the number and plan is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ddearman0113