Data issues with Sprint iPhone 5

Jammer2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the site. I appreciate all the information here, thank you.
I got my 5 from a Sprint store in October and immediately had data download problems from the very outset. Thought maybe it was the phone, returned to the store and they "tweaked" it. The download problems returned with a couple of hours.
Started looking at different blogs on the issue and it seems it is something known to Sprint and Apple both. Different blogs have different fixes including a soft and hard reset.
I thought the new update would fix the problem but it seems to not even remotely address it. Specifically the problem is this; I can make and receive calls, texts, emails, etc. while on wifi. Most of the time in 3G areas with at least three bars I cannot download simple data like current location weather, update sports apps with scores etc. Very frustrating. Never had these issues with my 4S.
I have tried every known fix that Sprint has recommended. And, the problem doesn't occur ALL the time, just most of the time. I travel around the country frequently so it is major pain!
If this is old news to most, I apologize. Just trying to get to the bottom of it. Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading more and more about the iPhone 5's delay in data sending when the phone is attempting to connect to LTE but having to fall back to 3G/4G...do you have LTE activated? Have you tried turning this off to see how your data performs on the phone? Are you having any issues making phone calls or having calls drop?

As far as the Spring store "tweaking" your phone, that literally makes no sense...they are about as legitimately rated to work on your iPhone as the guy asking for change outside of the local grocery store, so besides physically looking at it and going "TWEAKED!", if i were you and wanted service on my iPhone, i would go to an Apple store or have it shipped to and from one.

Jammer2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading more and more about the iPhone 5's delay in data sending when the phone is attempting to connect to LTE but having to fall back to 3G/4G...do you have LTE activated? Have you tried turning this off to see how your data performs on the phone? Are you having any issues making phone calls or having calls drop?

As far as the Spring store "tweaking" your phone, that literally makes no sense...they are about as legitimately rated to work on your iPhone as the guy asking for change outside of the local grocery store, so besides physically looking at it and going "TWEAKED!", if i were you and wanted service on my iPhone, i would go to an Apple store or have it shipped to and from one.

Thanks for the reply Sean, one of the "tweaks" I am referring to is the Sprint "certified repair" (as some stores are not, but I get your drift) store turned off the LTE function as I'm not in an LTE area normally. Same issue.
As I said in my original post, no problems with calls. Emails and texts may come in delayed, but I'd eventually get them. Most likely from using wifi. Problem is over Sprint 3G network. According to other blogs, it seems like its a nationwide problem that neither Sprint or Apple is addressing.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I have noticed is that the speed is worse then EDGE coverage. it takes like 5 min to download an email. But it's intermittent. Doesn't happen all the time. (but a lot)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Sean, one of the "tweaks" I am referring to is the Sprint "certified repair" (as some stores are not, but I get your drift) store turned off the LTE function as I'm not in an LTE area normally. Same issue.
As I said in my original post, no problems with calls. Emails and texts may come in delayed, but I'd eventually get them. Most likely from using wifi. Problem is over Sprint 3G network. According to other blogs, it seems like its a nationwide problem that neither Sprint or Apple is addressing.

Not to say your problem totally rests with Sprint...but when they announced they were getting the iPhone, i had a feeling they were going to have problems with it, and there's no shortage of people complaining about service problems with the iPhone and Sprint. Coincidence? I tend to think not.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Jammer, I have sprint as well. Are you getting the issues in certain places I.e. in your home? You may want to give sprint tech support a call and make sure there aren't any outtages in your area. The 3G sucks anyway but something may be out where you live.

Jammer2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Not to say your problem totally rests with Sprint...but when they announced they were getting the iPhone, i had a feeling they were going to have problems with it, and there's no shortage of people complaining about service problems with the iPhone and Sprint. Coincidence? I tend to think not.

I had the 4S with Sprint with no issues. None that I knew of. Then when I got the 5, download issues almost from the start. The phone goes into the "circle of death" or "O" (not 3G, roaming, extended, etc.) signal mode and will not download anything. If I didn't get a huge business discount, I'd switch carriers. I guess you get what you pay for.

Jammer2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Jammer, I have sprint as well. Are you getting the issues in certain places I.e. in your home? You may want to give sprint tech support a call and make sure there aren't any outtages in your area. The 3G sucks anyway but something may be out where you live.

I have the issue in almost every city I travel too. All over the US and Hawaii. Funny, when I called Sprint in the beginning, that's exactly what the told me, "there's maintenance on a cell tower in my area". Honestly I wouldn't mind operable 3G, considering Sprints lack of LTE currently, but its gotta work as good or better than my 4S. Right?!

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you, Jammer. I had no problems with data on my 4S with sprint. But when it comes to data on my 5, it is barely usable. Simple things like the weather app do not load, at all! I always got the "o" too. I have done a restore through iTunes 3 times now hoping it would help, in which it has, but just a tiny bit better. This is only with 3G as sprint doesn't have LTE in my area.

I truly don't enjoy my iPhone 5 unless I am on wifi. How sad.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That really sucks...hopefully if it IS a problem with the iPhone 5 on that particular network they get it squared away. I've had better performance out of my iPhone 5 than i did with the 4S, and that should be the case with everyone on any network.

It really makes me curious if the antenna type on the iPhone 5 is better for certain networks than others...

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to bad mouth sprint but me and my girl have iPhone 5 on AT&T, I now have lte in my area it's blazing I'm so stoked,anyways my mom has iPhone 5 on Verizon also fast, att seems a little more solid but both fast my sister has a iphone5 on sprint and has tons of problems including the data weather app and simple things that should work, again when she blames her phone I just laugh knowing that hers is the only one I'm assuming its sprint

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So last night there was an exit on the freeway blocked because of downed power lines. I tried to google (using safari) a route around. I had full bars and the 3G showing but it would sit there until it would go to sleep and not show any results. I borrowed my daughters iPhone 4 (AT&T) and it loaded the results and 3 other paged before mine even gave me the search results. I am just going to chalk it up to a busy night and not feel that I am getting ripped off by sprint service.

Let's hope Sprint gets whatever the issue is resolved in a timely manner.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Tin foil hat theory from my buddy, but he seems to think the carriers are starting to put restraints on 3G/4G networks in order to get people to upgrade phones and use more data over LTE...not my stance, but i wouldn't put it past these companies to go that direction to make money.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I remember last year when my friend got a 4S on Sprint. It was his first Apple
device and I was helping him set it up. That day we were driving all over the
place doing other things. But, I was helping set up his phone in the meantime.
I got very frustrated trying to download apps and such for him using Sprint's
CDMA 3G. It was terrible. It reminded me of my EDGE days on AT&T. I just
couldn't believe people were seeing this as usable. At the time, I had an iPhone
4 on AT&T jailbroken and I just ended up tethering my phone to his to do all
the downloading.

Now that you're saying that you're getting bad download speeds when you fall
back to 3G doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm sorry, but it's the carrier. And
I don't like to get into carrier bashing. To each his own. But, Sprint has some
terrible CDMA 3G data.

Jammer2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts, info, and opinions, I appreciate them very much. I'm just hoping Sprint/Apple will put together a fix for the issue, if there is one, instead of just waiting for the LTE/4G Sprint System to catch up. Could be a very long wait.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Your problem is Sprint, hands down. I know there are a few people that get good service and good for them but the large majority of subscribers do not. Despite having unlimited data I am on wifi at home, at friends and anywhere else that offers wifi and I need to use my phone. It is the same experience with my mini. There will be more issues if you're in a area with a light lte signal because I don't know what other way to describe it as fighting with the 3G signal because you don't have a strong lte connection so it's looks for some other kind of data connection. If you're someone with 1 line cancel and go elsewhere or stay on wifi and don't use your phone for data unless necessary when you're out lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox