Dark Sky has disappeared from the App Store ahead of 2023 shutdown

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This irks me because the native weather app won’t even render the radar map to show precipitation in my area on a consistent basis. Even now with a hurricane odes the coast of Florida, I have to use a 3rd party weather app to see precipitation. Granted I am using iOS 16.1 Developer Beta 3.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I’m sad to see Dark Sky go but I’m done with the inaccuracy for my area which was happening before it was bought out by Apple. The native weather app is not up to snuff for me so I’ve moved on to three other third party weather apps that I’m still testing out to see what I’ll ultimately stick with as my go-to weather app. I wish Apple would get it together and make use of what was once a great weather app by Dark Sky.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Dark Sky was my go to for alerts etc, which were always pretty good for my area. Yeah sometimes they were off, but let’s face it, even the weather people on tv get it wrong too. The only other weather app I’ve used in the past is BeWeather which IMO has gone downhill-I can’t rely on it for alerts either

22f95eb4f0676d7fc891ff2e9ab5e7ef.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have found that I get the "best/accurate" notifications from a local tv station's App. I was looking at Apple's "Stock" weather app, and it seems that there have been a lot of really nice improvements.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I used October 1 to finally move Dark Sky into my folder of weather apps and put Apple default in my Home Screen. I am also trying a small stack with 3 weather app widgets in it. The long press and finger motions in default weather app get you what drew me to Dark Sky but not as simply and right there. My use was Dark Sky for short-term weather matters and often Foreca for a longer range view.

FYI or PSA, the Forecast Advisor site finally became mobile friendly. It is a good tool to know the accuracy of different apps and data sources.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have added Apple's Stock Weather App as one of the complications on my Watch. I was using Carrott, but it never updated automatically.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I used October 1 to finally move Dark Sky into my folder of weather apps and put Apple default in my Home Screen. I am also trying a small stack with 3 weather app widgets in it. The long press and finger motions in default weather app get you what drew me to Dark Sky but not as simply and right there. My use was Dark Sky for short-term weather matters and often Foreca for a longer range view.

FYI or PSA, the Forecast Advisor site finally became mobile friendly. It is a good tool to know the accuracy of different apps and data sources.

I stumbled across Forecast Advisor online a few months ago and found the top three most accurate weather sources in my area. So far they’ve been more accurate than Dark Sky this year but I’m still testing them all out to determine which one or ones are best for me. Thumbs up for Forecast Advisor

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have added Apple's Stock Weather App as one of the complications on my Watch. I was using Carrott, but it never updated automatically.

Good point on noticing the stock weather app updates. Even Dark Sky will lag with others when the stock app does not. Being selective with what I load on the watch also aids battery life.

Closer to topic I'm forcing the reality of this change and SwiftKey. Purposely using native app I better see what is/was Dark Sky. I'm reaching some inner peace LOL. On the SwiftKey death, I'm also getting fond of Typefinity where the quick swipe up on ? key Easter egg was a watershed moment discovery. Still, I'm not typing as fast but nothing in several keyboard apps had same fast typing accuracy as SwiftKey.

Foreca might satisfy those pretty upset with death of Dark Sky but I'm not convinced it as the super fast hyper local aspect.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73