Damaged right out of the box :(

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I got my iPhone 5 today. I open it only to find : View attachment 19130

A scratch on the mirror finish near the SIM card slot and a sort of ding in the corner. There is also another similar "ding" on another corner. (See next post for corner pics)

Wtf!?

Don't know what to do. Would you guys go in and exchange it or just keep it as its likely to get like that in a few weeks anyway. Plus I doubt that they have extra exchange units available now. If I wait a few weeks to take it in, wont they be like "you did that, so no exchange"?

What you all think?

Last edited:

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
wow that is terrible. Never had that happen in any one of my phones I ever owned. Still waiting for my 5, I'll be really damn pissed if its damaged.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If I were keeping mine in a case I would most likely not return it. However, if you are not using a case or a bumper with it, you can call up your local Apple store and see if they'll exchange it for you.

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
when i saw the sim card area scratch i thought - too picky. when i saw the corner scratch on the back i thought - thats BS. return it.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Can't hurt to check at an Apple store. It's "minor" but you want it to be perfect from the get go (I'm sure they'll understand). I doubt they'll have extras right now though.

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
no scratch is picky. when you get a new product it should be new. No marks or scratches. New as in the same one that Apple unveiled, the way Apple designed it. Unless Apple went the bookbook route and designed scratches on every phone so they don't look a like, Id return it =P

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok i checked our two phones - one black, one white. i really hadn't looked as closely as you have. both of them have minor imperfections. light scratches and the white one actually has a little nick like your sim card one. maybe a tiny bit less noticeable than yours. i think its inevitable. i still dont like the look of that one on the back of yours.

AppleFan91

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Agree with what others said. The little sim scratch is nothing...then you showed the corners. I'd keep ahold of it but call around to apple stores and see what they say in terms of return units

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh hell no
My iPhone has the same ding. I'm with Apple on hold

Apple is giving me a new iphone tomorrow
If not I have to ship it back and wait.

Last edited:

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok just got off the phone with a local Apple store. They said to bring it in tonight and they'll take care of it. Seems like they have units on hand for exchanges. That's why I love Apple! :)

khobia2

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone 5 yet (not eligible for upgrade) ...got to play with one a little bit at Sam's Club today and I got to say just doesn't look as great to me as previous models. Maybe I am being petty and not having the glass back like the iPhone 4 is best but it seems like they dropped the ball on design. Anyone else agree or am I being to petty?

Reactions: jkmasi

fernite69

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh hell no
My iPhone has the same ding. I'm with Apple on hold

Apple is giving me a new iphone tomorrow
If not I have to ship it back and wait.
I received my iPhone 5, black earlier today. I am on hold with Apple as well right now, 9/21/2012 5:58 PM Eastern prevailing. A small nick on bottom antenna, where the nicely chiseled metal meets the screen, about 7 o'clock from the home button. Everything else about the phone is beautiful, LTE speeds in the ~20 MBPS. I am also on hold for my wife's white iPhone 5 - received today as well. The LCD screen has a yellowish hue that is driving her crazy. Mine has the same hue but I am okay with it.

Matchoo

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone 5 yet (not eligible for upgrade) ...got to play with one a little bit at Sam's Club today and I got to say just doesn't look as great to me as previous models. Maybe I am being petty and not having the glass back like the iPhone 4 is best but it seems like they dropped the ball on design. Anyone else agree or am I being to petty?

I personally think the design on the 5 is much better than the 4/4S

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
The hue thing is weird. From iphone 4 up I have noticed different phones have different hues. The store I was in was surprised when I showed them on their displays. I used to be a photographic printer, and color is one of those things that is hard for me to ignore. My 5 is slightly blue, but can live with it.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
At the Apple store right now. They are replacing it. Gotta love Apple :) Now saw the black one and am having a really hard time deciding black or white. Think Im going to stay with white and see how this scratching thing plays out. Wife due for upgrade in like 3 weeks. Can always get her a black one and then swap with her as she wants the white. :)

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok just got off the phone with a local Apple store. They said to bring it in tonight and they'll take care of it. Seems like they have units on hand for exchanges. That's why I love Apple! :)

I find if you're ever unhappy about anything you purchase from Apple, you take it in and they'll set things straight. When I started having issues with my 3GS about 3 months after i purchased it, they took it back and gave me a replacement on the stop. No questions ask and no hassle.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a SUPER minor ding on mine.. like.. tiny. Kinda made me smirk, but not enough to make me return it. It is weird though.. these are supposed to be perfect out of the box.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
are these tiny nicks all in the same spot? wondering if when the assemblers are putting the sim trays in, they are being sloppy and hitting the sides of the 5 before inserting into the sim slot... ???

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR