Damaged digitizer; need to backup phone - computer not trusted

hurdleman48

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
My daughter dropped her 5c on the ground and the LCD and digitizer have stopped working. I purchased a Digital AV adapter and the homescreen shows on the TV, but since the digitizer isn't working, I can't click on the phone to trust the computer to which that it is connected.

We took it to do the insurance replacement but she has not backed up her phone and she would like to try and save the pictures that she has taken of my grandson. Anybody have any ideas on how to get around clicking "trust this computer"? If she would have kept the phone in the $80 Lifeproof case (that was bought FOR her), we wouldn't be having this discussion LOL.

Thank you for any/all help.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My daughter dropped her 5c on the ground and the LCD and digitizer have stopped working. I purchased a Digital AV adapter and the homescreen shows on the TV, but since the digitizer isn't working, I can't click on the phone to trust the computer to which that it is connected.

We took it to do the insurance replacement but she has not backed up her phone and she would like to try and save the pictures that she has taken of my grandson. Anybody have any ideas on how to get around clicking "trust this computer"? If she would have kept the phone in the $80 Lifeproof case (that was bought FOR her), we wouldn't be having this discussion LOL.

Thank you for any/all help.

When you hook it to iTunes you should get a message on iTunes to trust this computer vs having to do it on the phone itself

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

hurdleman48

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
When you hook it to iTunes you should get a message on iTunes to trust this computer vs having to do it on the phone itself

I get the message on the computer, but when I click continue the computer tells me "to allow access, please respond on your iPhone". Which if the LCD worked, the phone would ask me whether to "trust" or "don't trust" the computer. Thank you though

EDIT: I neglected to mention that the 5c has iOS 7.1 loaded on it. If memory serves me correct, which it may not, I believe that with iOS 6.x you only had to accept it on your computer

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I get the message on the computer, but when I click continue the computer tells me "to allow access, please respond on your iPhone". Which if the LCD worked, the phone would ask me whether to "trust" or "don't trust" the computer. Thank you though

EDIT: I neglected to mention that the 5c has iOS 7.1 loaded on it. If memory serves me correct, which it may not, I believe that with iOS 6.x you only had to accept it on your computer

Ahh I forgot about 7 adding that .. Did your daughter have iCloud setup ? Maybe she has a backup stored in the cloud ?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Even though the phone doesn't display anything, does the phone still recognize touch input? Like when you had it hooked up to your tv were you able to unlock the phone to the home screen?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Were any of the photos posted elsewhere, such as on Facebook, Instagram, Google+ or any other place where they can be recovered?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

hurdleman48

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that it took me so long to reply

Even though the phone doesn't display anything, does the phone still recognize touch input? Like when you had it hooked up to your tv were you able to unlock the phone to the home screen?
Unfortunately no. With the digital av adapter, I can see the lock screen but when I swipe in the location on the phone where the unlock function would be, I get no response.

Were any of the photos posted elsewhere, such as on Facebook, Instagram, Google+ or any other place where they can be recovered?
Some of them were, but most of the stuff she took was not. I may have to show her how to use IFTTT to automatically upload to Google Drive or Dropbox (more space than iCloud)

hurdleman48

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Mac's image capture would not let you access the device's photos? That seems weird.

I was using a Windows computer.

Unfortunately we had to turn in the phone for the replacement, so I no longer have this issue. MODs, please close/remove this thread as you see fit. Thank you all for your help

MEA5 OTHERS CD

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
To all you who are having this problem i am also so here is what i found to help me get around the "trust Computer" message 2 ways you can do it 1st way - This is a long shot but if you have a wireless keybord that was recently connected and your iphone broke when bluetooth was on you can try and connect the keybord and if it works mash enter and it will accept the trust computer on the iphone 2nd way would be to but a WIRED keybord or barrow someones it must be WIRED though and then u just mash enter and get past the "Trust computer" message. Hope this helped.

Caleeeb

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm in this exact situation - have a wired keyboard dock which I bought for the specific purpose of unlocking my iphone 4s (broken screen) and connecting to PC in order to retrieve contact info and pictures. I can enter my passcode and unlock the phone OK, but when it comes to the 'trust this computer' dialog, I can only hit the 'do not trust' option, which is highlighted by default and is what gets selected when I press enter. Any ideas how to change to the 'trust this computer' option instead? I have tried using arrow keys, tab, various command+ combinations and no luck as yet. Looking for that magic key combination that will grant me access!

Kay Powers

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried using the tab key? Let me know. I have the same problem. Phone bent when thrown against the floor and can not click trust on the phone. Looking for solutions too

bkstepan

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
this worked for me but it is still a work in progress because my hdmi cable/lightning connector keyboard cannot be used at the same time but I know someone who has an older version which did work previously....that said the magic keys that worked and I have read about....tab to the trust and "hold down (control and options) and then press (space bar). Magic.:rotfl:

lufixesthings

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
plugged in wired keyboard with passthourgh wire that goes to my pc (dont plug in yet)
held home button and told siri to "turn on voice over"
pressed home button.
plugged in passthrough to pc.
When "trust" window pops on ipad, use right arrow to move to "trust"
press Control + Alt + space to select trust

backup/synch to itunes!

voice over kb commands:
http://audiblesight.com/voiceover-gesture-keyboard-commands/

Last edited:

heymikeyc

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
what was the exact keyboard you used (brand and model)? I really want to try this but I'm having a hard time finding a wired lightening keyboard with a USB port for passthrough purposes.

plugged in wired keyboard with passthourgh wire that goes to my pc (dont plug in yet)
held home button and told siri to "turn on voice over"
pressed home button.
plugged in passthrough to pc.
When "trust" window pops on ipad, use right arrow to move to "trust"
press Control + Alt + space to select trust

backup/synch to itunes!

voice over kb commands:
VoiceOver complete listing of Gesture & Keyboard Commands | Audible Sight

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics