Curse you Best Buy!

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
This doesn’t look like an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

9107c56801701f3d0cfb3a572060dedc.jpg

I ordered my new phone yesterday (10/1/19) and paid for overnight shipping since I’m leaving out of town tomorrow morning. Big brown arrived this evening and when I opened the box this is what I was greeted with. I called Best Buy and told them what happened. The call taker I spoke with said someone would call me in 2 to 3 days to discuss what they could do. Really?? 2 to 3 days! There was no paperwork in the box either. Everything I’ve ever ordered from them has always had an invoice inside the box.

The best part is the guy I talked to on the phone asked me if I wanted to just keep the headphones in exchange for the phone and they would refund the difference. WTF! Seriously! I need a drink.

Sorry for the rant. This was the first time I’ve ordered a phone from Best Buy and that was only because they were the only ones to have the space gray 256gb in stock. This will probably be the last time I order a phone from them. Hopefully they will make this right.

26dcb1dc67dc8c65ccff85e9abb3f2ef.jpg

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WOW, I literally spit my coffee (didn't mean to laugh). Did you go into a BestBuy store and see if a Pro Max SG 256gb was available? In some instances when something drastic like this happens, BB will have another BB deliver to your BB store if it's in stock somewhere else.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh dang. That’s messed up. I’d be visiting a Best Buy Store and speaking with a manager about this matter in addition to calling their customer service line EVERY DAY until the issue was resolved.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
WOW, I literally spit my coffee (didn't mean to laugh). Did you go into a BestBuy store and see if a Pro Max SG 256gb was available? In some instances when something drastic like this happens, BB will have another BB deliver to your BB store if it's in stock somewhere else.

Glad I could give you a good laugh!

I actually went into the local store first hoping they would have one and could take care of this right there. The manager did come out after the girl at the customer service counter picked her jaw up off the floor when I told her what happened. The manager was actually the one who told me to call in the first place. She was shocked to and super apologetic. She said none of the stores in the area have any phones in stock and they didn’t know when they would have it in stock. If they had it in stock they would have just done the exchange. Unfortunately she said they never know when the warehouse will send them the phone.

We’ll see if they contact me today. If not I’ll head back into the store when I get home this evening and talk to the manager again to see if she can help speed things up a bit.

Stay tuned....

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm simply flabbergasted! I wonder who got your phone? WOW! They should let you keep the headphones!

Last edited:

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
1++++1I'm simply flabbergasted! I wonder who got your phone? WOW! They should let you keep the headphones!

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a warehouse employee doing the ol switcheroo. My understanding is phones like the iPhone are more of a controlled item to keep theft low. They would also explain why there was no invoice if there was no packaging accident. It could have been just an accident but I doubt it since you can sell a new iPhone right now for a premium.

I could really care less about the headphones. I already have the wired version and power beats pro.

First world problems.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Sounds pretty typical with Best Buy. When problems arise they don't know what to do and it takes days and/or weeks. I don't do any business with them unless I can pick it up in the store, with the exception of some low value items.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I called Best Buy back this morning hoping I could bypass the wait time to speak with the escalation department. The Best Buy call center didn’t even have a phone number for them and suggested I go to a store and see if they have the number. Drove to the local store where I’m at today and spoke with the general manager. He didn’t have the number either. Are you fracking kidding me!!! I’m thinking I’ll just cancel the order at this point. Talk about crappy customer service. If I handled a complaint this poorly I would be out of a job!

I called the corporate office and the gal I spoke with was able to help a lot more than anyone else. She said they would send me another phone with free overnight shipping along with AM service but it wouldn’t be available until October 28th! I told her that on their own website it shows I could have one delivered by the 11th. She said the order times are different for the different departments. I thought “You’re kidding me right??” At that point I realized the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing and asked to cancel the order which she was able to do.

The manager I spoke with this morning said he could help with ordering a new phone and have it delivered to the store but after this debacle I was hesitant to do so. I figured I would check the Apple store app and see if the store near meme had any and to my surprise they actually had it in stock! I’ll be heading to the Apple Store shortly to pick up my new phone.

The moral of this story... I should have stuck with my gut and felt with Apple directly like I always have.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Sounds pretty typical with Best Buy. When problems arise they don't know what to do and it takes days and/or weeks. I don't do any business with them unless I can pick it up in the store, with the exception of some low value items.

I’ve always had good luck with them up until this debacle. I ordered a new graphics card for my gaming rig (NVIDIA Founders Edition RTX 2080 super) since they were the only place to have one in stock and it arrived without any issues. I hoped this would be the same experience. It will be the last. But on the plus side of things it looks like I gained a free pair of headphones.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am so glad you had this issue resolved so quick. It could have lasted much longer if they accused you of doing the switcheroo yourself. Believe me, that happens too.
Enjoy your phone.

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad you had this issue resolved so quick. It could have lasted much longer if they accused you of doing the switcheroo yourself. Believe me, that happens too.
Enjoy your phone.

I was worried about that too. Interestingly enough though the last gal I spoke with said this was quite the problem right now and there have been a lot of people complaining about receiving the wrong item.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Well I called Best Buy back this morning hoping I could bypass the wait time to speak with the escalation department. The Best Buy call center didn’t even have a phone number for them and suggested I go to a store and see if they have the number. Drove to the local store where I’m at today and spoke with the general manager. He didn’t have the number either. Are you fracking kidding me!!! I’m thinking I’ll just cancel the order at this point. Talk about crappy customer service. If I handled a complaint this poorly I would be out of a job!

I called the corporate office and the gal I spoke with was able to help a lot more than anyone else. She said they would send me another phone with free overnight shipping along with AM service but it wouldn’t be available until October 28th! I told her that on their own website it shows I could have one delivered by the 11th. She said the order times are different for the different departments. I thought “You’re kidding me right??” At that point I realized the right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing and asked to cancel the order which she was able to do.

The manager I spoke with this morning said he could help with ordering a new phone and have it delivered to the store but after this debacle I was hesitant to do so. I figured I would check the Apple store app and see if the store near meme had any and to my surprise they actually had it in stock! I’ll be heading to the Apple Store shortly to pick up my new phone.

The moral of this story... I should have stuck with my gut and felt with Apple directly like I always have.

Double check your carrier app. If anything like my issue when your order is cancelled sometimes Best Buy forgets to notify tryout carrier and reverse your upgraded contract which block you from getting another device. Regardless, sorry about your situation, glad it seems resolved but I’d double check about contract issues unless of course you are paying full retail.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I’ve always had good luck with them up until this debacle. I ordered a new graphics card for my gaming rig (NVIDIA Founders Edition RTX 2080 super) since they were the only place to have one in stock and it arrived without any issues. I hoped this would be the same experience. It will be the last. But on the plus side of things it looks like I gained a free pair of headphones.

Nice GPU! I’m not yet ready to give up my 1070

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Double check your carrier app. If anything like my issue when your order is cancelled sometimes Best Buy forgets to notify tryout carrier and reverse your upgraded contract which block you from getting another device. Regardless, sorry about your situation, glad it seems resolved but I’d double check about contract issues unless of course you are paying full retail.

Paid in full. Just have to deal with the refund for the Apple Care now since it’s a different division.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Umm wow. This was entertaining to read ..... but I feel terrible that you had to go through it. Glad Apple came to the rescue.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Makes me nervous to order anything with BB unless in store. I got an iPad there but never a phone. Usually deal with Verizon

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW