Couple of questions regarding the iPad

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
What is Apple's return policy going to be on the iPad?

Also, how likely do you think the eBay price of the iPad will go up higher than te retail price?

I want to see if I can get two (since that is the limit) and sell one for a little profit. But if it doesn't sell, I'd like to be able to return one of them.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
1. Here is the current text for Apple's returns policy taken from the Apple website:

Return and Refund Policy

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA).

For iPhone returns, please refer to the iPhone Return Policy section below. For eligible Mac, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. Personalized iPods (e.g., engraved or customized in any way) may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products). If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that shipped with the product. Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, Apple may ask you to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) so Apple can assess the 10% restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Personalized iPods
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic Software Downloads
Software Up-to-Date Program Products (i.e., software upgrade subscription product)
Apple Gift Cards
Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

Note: Apple recommends that you (1) use a carrier that offers shipment tracking for all returns and (2) either insure your package for safe return to Apple or declare the full value of the shipment so that you are completely protected if the shipment is lost or damaged in transit. If you choose not to (1) use a carrier that offers tracking or (2) insure or declare the full value of the product, you will be responsible for any loss or damage to the product during shipping.

iPhone Return Policy
If you are not satisfied with your iPhone purchase, please visit online Order Status or call 1-800-676-2775 to request a return. The iPhone must be returned to our warehouse within 30 calendar days from shipment to avoid an $175 early termination fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation.

Apple will assess a 10% restocking fee on any opened iPhone. Shipping fees are not refundable.

Note: iPhones must be returned to the original point of purchase (e.g., Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Store, AT&T, Apple Authorized Reseller) with a proof of purchase (e.g., Shipment Notification, Invoice Receipt).

Although there isn't a specific clause covering the iPad, I would expect it to fall under similar terms of either the iPod or the iPhone (my guess is the iPod).

2. It is very likely that the eBay price of the iPad will go up past retail if you are lucky enough to get one on eBay before they are available in large quantities. But that window of opportunity will likely be small, and it's always a gamble with eBay. Nevertheless, you might want to consider that Apple forbids resale of their products when purchased as a consumer. Would they do anything about it? Probably not, but then they just might. Of course, I'm sure there will be plenty of iPads on eBay in the first few weeks.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't do it .... Since the iPad isn't subsidized and it is likely that they will get more stock quickly I can't see it truly being worth it to purchase an extra iPad for profit. I truly expected the reservation link to be disabled this morning, however it is still there ... They may have plenty of supply.

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't do it .... Since the iPad isn't subsidized and it is likely that they will get more stock quickly I can't see it truly being worth it to purchase an extra iPad for profit. I truly expected the reservation link to be disabled this morning, however it is still there ... They may have plenty of supply.

Maybe this is a means of gauging how much to produce? ;)

That said, trying to buy and resell is a dicey proposition in this case. I wouldn't do it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I would actually say if you plan to buy and sell for a profit, which is up to you, this is the time to do it. The best time is always when the item is hot, new and everyone wants one. If you wait until there are tons of them avaiable, and people have already used it you will lose out. So it's a very slippery slope you have to navigate.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro