couldn't be more disapointed.....

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Since owning the iphone4 since it's release date. I couldn't be more disapointed. When comparing the service bars side by side with my old 3g i get better service (with the 3g). When I pick up the iphone 4 in one hand and the 3g in the other, i get worse service with the iphone4. Will I be wasting my time by going to an Apple store and complaining? Or will they just give me the stupid run around, and tell me what mr. jobs said. I think it's disapoining that you can truly tell that the iphone 4 has worst reception. And will a bumper or case really help the situation at all? thanks for any help in advance.~Chris

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Those are bars though.
Reports show that the iPhone can get reception where previous iPhones couldn't, and can maintain that reception where previous versions would drop it.

Try real-life testing. Not just looking at bars.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Those are bars though.
Reports show that the iPhone can get reception where previous iPhones couldn't, and can maintain that reception where previous versions would drop it.

Try real-life testing. Not just looking at bars.

I agree 100%, we've gotten so use to thinking that the bars actually represent real reception when in reality they don't in most cases. We also now know based on Apple recent admission that the iPhones have never really shown accurate bars.

Just use the phone and don't worry about the bars. If you can't make calls or receive calls on your iPhone 4 vs your iPhone 3GS that would be an accurate test. But looking at bars doesn't tell you anything.

I have found that my iPhone 4 holds the signals that it gets pretty solidly compared to the 3GS. I also find that often times I have signal when it appears that I have none. I just dial and it goes through and I am sitting there with hardly anything showing. Long as the phone is working, I don't care about the bars. Eventually there will be an update to address this, at least according to Apple.

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Do you get worse service or fewer bars? According to what I've read and my own personal experience, the bars mean squat. All I know is what I've experienced and so far I have WAY better reception with my iPhone 4. But if you're that disappointed, then you're probably in the return period so it shouldn't affect you financially. Life is too short for thinsgs like cell phone reception to ruin your day :)

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I forgot to put that during real life testing I have considerably more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than my 3G. So are you guys trying to say that the "death grip" is a myth. And not worry about it. I love the phone itself. But the reception I get in places I used to be able to make and receive calls is rediculous.

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I forgot to put that during real life testing I have considerably more dropped calls with the iPhone 4 than my 3G. So are you guys trying to say that the "death grip" is a myth. And not worry about it. I love the phone itself. But the reception I get in places I used to be able to make and receive calls is rediculous.

Not saying the "death grip" is a myth, but I'm saying that even with the drop in signal I get from touching the band, my iPhone 4 is still more reliable than my 3G. Your mileage may vary of course.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

The "death grip" is real there is no doubt about it. However, depending on how you hold your phone and/or rather you have a case on it impacts this. I always use a case, so the "death grip" has no impact on my phone use. I have better reception in that it seems to hold calls better even though the signal indicator may show I only have one bar of signal.

If you are having a ton of drop calls, it is likely because of the "death grip" issue and unless you are willing to use a case or bumper, then this will continue to be a problem. I don't think Apple is going to be able to fix this with a software update. So, I agree with some of the others maybe you need to consider returning it. I am keeping mine because my case has resolved my issues period!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not saying the "death grip" is a myth, but I'm saying that even with the drop in signal I get from touching the band, my iPhone 4 is still more reliable than my 3G. Your mileage may vary of course.

That would only be true if you are in an area where you have a pretty darn decent signal. If you already in a fringe area then the "death grip" is the different between dropping a call or not. As you say you mileage may vary! True That!

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Since owning the iphone4 since it's release date. I couldn't be more disapointed. When comparing the service bars side by side with my old 3g i get better service (with the 3g). When I pick up the iphone 4 in one hand and the 3g in the other, i get worse service with the iphone4. Will I be wasting my time by going to an Apple store and complaining? Or will they just give me the stupid run around, and tell me what mr. jobs said. I think it's disapoining that you can truly tell that the iphone 4 has worst reception. And will a bumper or case really help the situation at all? thanks for any help in advance.~Chris

I will give you my 3gs and some cash for that iphone 4............lol

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
seem to get better signal and pick up more wifi than i ever did with my 3G. the death grip if you will is real but if there is strong signal it doesnt affect the phone. i walked around the mall where the apple store is here and couldnt lose a single bar in the entire mall. i love the iphone 4 and could never get rid of it...well until iphone 5 comes out lol.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the Dallas area, and I have strong reception except when I hold the phone in the "death grip", then the bars drop and data transfer stops until I release the death grip. I haven't dropped a call, but the data transfer stoppage bugs me. Otherwise, I love the iPhone 4, and whether I keep this one or return it for a replacement, my phone is going to be an iP4: I'll work around it with a changed grip or a case. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile in returning mine for a replacement? It seems to me that, even though some aren't able to replicate the issue with their phone in their area, any phone that I'd get and use in my area and with my particulars would likely have the issue as well. I'd hate to return mine and get another with the same, and potentially more, issues.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will probably just buy a bumper from the apple store while I'm there. If they have any and then I'll go from there. I'll keep everyone posted. Like I said i love the phone itself. Just the reception issue bugs me. But I'll probably be able to overlook it. :)

zacharace

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Not saying the "death grip" is a myth, but I'm saying that even with the drop in signal I get from touching the band, my iPhone 4 is still more reliable than my 3G.

I agree. Overall, I think, the "Death Grip" saga has been a bit overblown; in everyday situations (for me, too), my iP4 is a whole lot better at getting and holding reception ("real" or not :rolleyes:) than my 3G was. Plus, the Grip has never caused a call to drop or an email to not be sent.

But,
your mileage may vary of course.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Try a bumper and see if that helps. If it's truly a "death grip" issue, your problem solved. I personally have gotten better service. I live in a lousy service area, but it's been better w/ the 4. I dont know why, just know it's been clearer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods