Cord Cutters where are you in deciding what do to with the new TV?

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I am very interested in the Apple TV but I'm sure my situation is not unique by any means. I live within the viewing market of my favorite sports teams, even while not actually living in their location. So I can't use MLB.TV or like services to stream my teams. And thus I pay $100/month to DirecTV for essentially two channels.

But there's one more thing. No Amazon Instant Video (Prime) and no Spotify means no consideration for me. That's not Apple's fault, I get that. But until those two things are on the AppleTV, I'm not going to try to figure out how to view my sports teams* and cut cable.

What about other would-be cord cutters? Where are you at with in deciding what to do with the new AppleTV?

*-I've tried before using Amazon Web Services and a proxy server to spoof my location but the process was way too involved to do every single game. So even if Amazon and Spotify come to AppleTV, there simply may be nothing I can do about the sports streaming blackouts...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As a "cord cutter", I've decided to get the new TV, and I will probably get it within the next week or two. I'm not really in a rush because my current 3rd generation TV is sufficient.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am very interested in the Apple TV but I'm sure my situation is not unique by any means. I live within the viewing market of my favorite sports teams, even while not actually living in their location. So I can't use MLB.TV or like services to stream my teams. And thus I pay $100/month to DirecTV for essentially two channels.

But there's one more thing. No Amazon Instant Video (Prime) and no Spotify means no consideration for me. That's not Apple's fault, I get that. But until those two things are on the AppleTV, I'm not going to try to figure out how to view my sports teams* and cut cable.

What about other would-be cord cutters? Where are you at with in deciding what to do with the new AppleTV?

*-I've tried before using Amazon Web Services and a proxy server to spoof my location but the process was way too involved to do every single game. So even if Amazon and Spotify come to AppleTV, there simply may be nothing I can do about the sports streaming blackouts...

I think I remember reading that mlb was going to do away with black out restrictions.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have three TVs in my home and also subscribe to DirecTV. Much like you, TV doesn't yet offer everything I need to finally cut the cord. Be patient though, I think Apple has some tricks up its sleeve to help our cause, hopefully in early to mid 2016.
As far as Amazon, I just downloaded the app to my iPhone and use AirPlay to stream to my TV. Works perfectly. I'm sure you can do the same with Spotify. I'm not holding my breath for a true Amazon Instant Video app on TvOS. They're an TV competitor.

Patti Harris

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi beingbenjamin, I wanted to let you know what we do. We have been cord cutters for the past year and a half. We love saving that 100.00 per month! Our biggest problem has been not being able to get sports. We have an antenna, Netflix, and Amazon. We have the second generation Apple TV. We have ordered the new 4th generation. We can get Amazon thru our blue ray player and tv so that isn't an issue for us. My husband is watching sports thru slingtv this year. It has been wonderful! ESPN 1 and 2 and SEC channel. The good thing about slingtv is you can cancel anytime. So once football season is over, we can cancel and pick back up next year. I hope this helps you. We HATE spending 100.00 a month for just a few channels. It's true that the picture isn't as good but worth the sacrifice for us.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've cut the cord (well the proverbial cord - was using Dish Network)... there's channels/programs I miss for sure (F1, super/motocross, etc.) but for the most part, I don't miss paying $100/month for about 6 channels I watched... Been cord free for about 4 months now...

For anyone thinking about cord cutting... there's definitely a hump to get over... if you can get past the 2-3 month window, you'll be fine. Don't get me wrong, it's tough, but for me, the exhorbitant amount for very little value was enough a deterrent to me to stay cord free.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Already use an Apple TV, will upgrade eventually. I have jumped ship from Amazon, so lack of support there is a nonissue. Sports are my main downfall but for now I usually watch football at my dad's and he pays for red zone. For baseball, MLB.tv has me covered. And soccer is just bleh, I wouldn't watch premier even if I paid for it because I'm at work when it's on.

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Been a cord cutter for five years. I have five Apple TVs and the 64 new Apple TV. I use them to watch streaming movies, Netflix, Hulu, music, games and the news apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods