Converted Iphone 4S & Not Happy - Can I Buy New Iphone 5 and Do a Restore ???

eaglebqh

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Against my better judgement I downloaded IOS 7 and converted my Iphone 4S which (for me) proved to be a mistake. I know you can't "go back" once you convert - but can I go to Best Buy - get their deal on an Iphone 5 (not 5S, C, etc) - activate it and do an Itunes restore from a backup of the Iphone 4S???

Thnx

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sure. When setting up the new 5, either in iTunes or via iCloud - select the last back-up available of the 4S... which you should make just prior to buying the 5...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
IF Apple is still signing 6.1.3 you can go back but that time is short

and yes you can load your 4S backup to your 5

eaglebqh

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much! But now another (hopefully) quick question ... Whenever I connect my 4S to Itunes (which is frequently) it backs up and then syncs the Iphone. It then dutifully shows me "Latest Backup was today at xx:xx to this computer". It also indicates the appropriate msg when I've done a manual backup.

Just in case, today in Itunes I selected "Restore Backup" and it showed backups from months ago and not the one I just did. I tried scrolling the window to get to a recent b/u and it didn't budge!

I'm obviously missing something here but don't know what ...!

PS: I also thought I read somewhere where "you can't restore a Ver 6 Iphone from a Ver 7 backup". The last b/u I did - which is prior to buying the 5 - is from the Ver 7 on the 4S. Really not trying to make things difficult and sincerely appreciate the help !!!

eaglebqh

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Well looks as though I better learn to live with my decision to implement IOS 7. While interrogating Itunes to restore from a backup prior to my implementation of IOS 7 today it says my most recent b/u was at 5:29 today, which is true (Ver 7). In the drop-down window in Itunes where you select the b/u file you want to use, the most recent file being shown immediately prior to today at 5:29 was May 21! Even though I did a synch / bu this morning, a manual b/u immediately prior to implementing Ver 7, and two b/u's since then!

Applecare says that even though Itunes may indicate a back up is being done, it may in fact NOT be, especially if nothing's changed. Hard to believe "nothing changed" from Ver 6 to Ver 7 implementation today, never mind the b/u's I THOUGHT were taking place for the past 4 months! It is what it is I guess - so away we go ...!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
keep in mind these "backups" are only for apps, settings, etc. and NOT the Operating System... The Restore From Backup simply restores your settings, apps, etc but does nothing to restore a previous Operating system...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73