Contacts (Groups)

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
On my friends original 2g iphone he can organize names in the contacts app by groups, such as plumbers/carpenters/electricians, I do not have groups on my 3g am I missing something or did they eliminate this?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
His phone must be jail broken as this is not a feature of a stock iPhone (original or 3G). Is he using the built in contact app? It's possible he has one from the app store that has groups, I think there are a bunch of them.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You do not need to be jailbroken in order to group your contacts. You just must adjust your contacts via your computer and sync the contacts over to the phone. You can use outlook on a Windows machine or Mac Mail on a Mac.

(Go into your contacts on the iPhone and in the upper left hand corner you will see "Groups")

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
His is not jailbroken, nor is it a downloaded app, and I do not have groups in the upper left corner, just the + sign on the right. we both run macs and are up to date
on all software. appreciate all the response!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I gave you your answer above... you must create or edit the contact on your computer and then sync it over to the iPhone.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You can also create and add contacts to groups on the phone with a few different applications available in the app store. ABContacts, ABContacts Lite and ABGroups, the first two are developed by the same person, the third is a separate developer. I use ABContacts paid version and it works just fine.

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
BA, I did create a group on my mac then synced iphone, nothing.
Shutter I will try one of those apps.
Thanks all to who responded, I will ask the Genius guys what the think.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Works fine for me, sorry you didn't get it working. Good luck.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site

When you sync'd your phone, did you select which groups to sync on the info page? I know I had to do that when I was syncing with outlook, assume it would be the same for a mac.

JuliePGH

May 30, 2009
Visit site
You do not need to be jailbroken in order to group your contacts. You just must adjust your contacts via your computer and sync the contacts over to the phone. You can use outlook on a Windows machine or Mac Mail on a Mac.

(Go into your contacts on the iPhone and in the upper left hand corner you will see "Groups")

BA - where exactly do I locate my contacts on my computer? I just got my iphone and I have no idea where it is storing the contact information when it syncs to my Mac laptop. It's not with my Entourage, and I can not figure out where it is placing the data. I'd like to go in and type in more contacts instead of always adding them on the iPhone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
BA - where exactly do I locate my contacts on my computer? I just got my iphone and I have no idea where it is storing the contact information when it syncs to my Mac laptop. It's not with my Entourage, and I can not figure out where it is placing the data. I'd like to go in and type in more contacts instead of always adding them on the iPhone.

You tell it where to sync your contacts from via iTunes. By default on a Mac it may be your address book. But if you use Entourage you can change it to sync with that with no issues. Again plug in your iPhone and open iTunes, then look for the settings to make those changes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remona94B9