Contact Names being shared

rich319

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

My wife has me saved as “Harvey” in her contacts on her iPhone, despite that not being my name. My Mum just tried to forward an email on to me and my contact came up as “Harvey”. My wife texts my mum but hasn’t shared contacts etc. anyone got any ideas how I’m “Harvey” on my Mum’s iPad?

I’ve experienced a similar thing with my daughter’s iPhone. When my wife now calls me, the contact shows as “Mummy” which is how my daughter has her number stored. I’d assumed this was down to a family sharing setting which my mum is not part of. Any one got any ideas?!

We’re all using iOS14.

Thanks!

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to pinpoint my questions :)

My wife has me saved as “Harvey” in her contacts on her iPhone, despite that not being my name. My Mum just tried to forward an email on to me and my contact came up as “Harvey”. My wife texts my mum but hasn’t shared contacts etc. anyone got any ideas how I’m “Harvey” on my Mum’s iPad?
Is this as viewed by your mother's or your wife's device?

I’ve experienced a similar thing with my daughter’s iPhone. When my wife now calls me, the contact shows as “Mummy” which is how my daughter has her number stored. I’d assumed this was down to a family sharing setting which my mum is not part of. Any one got any ideas?!
This is where I involved account sharing? Does any of these devices share an account :)

rich319

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Ah, I see. It’s as viewed by my Mum’s iPad. My wife’s iPhone has the contact stored as “Harvey” but when my Mum tries to share an email on her own iPad, she also sees “Harvey” for my contact.

As for daughters iPhone, there is no account sharing, apart from being part of the same Family Sharing” group.

Thank you for your help.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. It’s as viewed by my Mum’s iPad. My wife’s iPhone has the contact stored as “Harvey” but when my Mum tries to share an email on her own iPad, she also sees “Harvey” for my contact.

As for daughters iPhone, there is no account sharing, apart from being part of the same Family Sharing” group.

Thank you for your help.
I'm really lost on ideas now. I spent the time to look up what Family Sharing syncs together, and contacts does not seem to be one of those items.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

rich319

Oct 2, 2021
Visit site
Many thanks for your help with this. I may book an appointment at the Genius Bar. If I get to the bottom of it, I’ll post here. Thanks again for your time.