Considering saving up for a Mac book air. Some questions though.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
To be honest with you, the only real consideration you should have between the two is whether you'll ever want to be portable with it or not...if you don't need it to be, the iMac is the better option. Which one you get, as has been covered a thousand times already, is up to what you need it to do and your budget.

It's a good thing he started another thread about iMacs. If you've noticed, he's asked about moving back to iOS, whether to get an ipad 4 in addition to a Mini (which he did on a credit card), and now this Mac stuff for which he'll supposedly save up for.

What about gaming? But honestly I don't care about gaming. But what about gaming? LOL

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a good thing he started another thread about iMacs. If you've noticed, he's asked about moving back to iOS, whether to get an ipad 4 in addition to a Mini (which he did on a credit card), and now this Mac stuff for which he'll supposedly save up for.

What about gaming? But honestly I don't care about gaming. But what about gaming? LOL

These were the kinds of thread redundancies I was trying to slow with that write up I did, but it got moved to a part of the forums that nobody is going to go to...so I guess we'll just have to deal with the same ol' thing, lol.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The reason for multiple threads is because overused message boards long enough to realize that if you need a question answered, your more likely to get a response with a new thread as opposed to posting a reply asking the e question in a read that has 36 replys in it already. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was spamming, Ijust really wanted to get feedback and responses.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
But, of I am honest with myself, I really have more pressing financial concerns than buying a new computer (like my credit debt, car repair, etc.) so this is probably a irrelevant question to ask at this time because once I am able to afford and buy the imac after those financial obligations, well be onto a whole new refresh more than likely with new and better hardware.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The reason for multiple threads is because overused message boards long enough to realize that if you need a question answered, your more likely to get a response with a new thread as opposed to posting a reply asking the e question in a read that has 36 replys in it already. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was spamming, Ijust really wanted to get feedback and responses.

Well it does come precariously close to "because MY question is special"... To address your concern about getting a response, the regulars around here DO read new questions in threads that already have 36 replies in it... the drive-by crown does not... clearly we are close to anarchy around here... and it is a truism that "when everyone thinks that they are special, no one is".

Last edited:

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well it does come precariously close to "because MY question is special"... To address your concern about getting a response, the regulars around here DO read new questions in threads that already has 36 replies in it... the drive-by crown does not... clearly we are close to anarchy around here... and it is a truism that "when everyone thinks that they are special, no one is".

Ok then, my apologies ill stick to my already made threads.

Anyway, to get back to the MacBooks, are the macbook pros really only for people doing video editing? I was mostly looking for something for my web browsing, email, iTunes management, word processing when I need it, and the different things that are more pleasant or better to do with a mouse and keyboard compared to my ipad.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok then, my apologies ill stick to my already made threads.

Anyway, to get back to the MacBooks, are the macbook pros really only for people doing video editing? I was mostly looking for something for my web browsing, email, iTunes management, word processing when I need it, and the different things that are more pleasant or better to do with a mouse and keyboard compared to my ipad.

No, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not only for people doing video editing. The lower spec'ed machines are great for simple stuff like web browsing, email, iTunes and Word Processing. As Sean and others have pointed out, the MB/MBA/MBP are primarily for mobile users - those who want to take their computers with them when they "go" - could be to the coffee shop, the school library, or just the living room to surf/compute while watching TV or doing other activities. The iMacs are more powerful, dollar for dollar, over the notebooks, and tend to be cheaper for the same power... but they are a far cry from "portable" computing... that is the key difference. And for the most part, tablets are even more mobile, but less powerful and sometimes, less convenient that a full blown computer... different tools for different jobs/situations...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not only for people doing video editing. The lower spec'ed machines are great for simple stuff like web browsing, email, iTunes and Word Processing. As Sean and others have pointed out, the MB/MBA/MBP are primarily for mobile users - those who want to take their computers with them when they "go" - could be to the coffee shop, the school library, or just the living room to surf/compute while watching TV or doing other activities. The iMacs are more powerful, dollar for dollar, over the notebooks, and tend to be cheaper for the same power... but they are a far cry from "portable" computing... that is the key difference. And for the most part, tablets are even more mobile, but less powerful and sometimes, less convenient that a full blown computer... different tools for different jobs/situations...

Honestly, all my web browsing is on phone and tablets these days.

Maybe the imac would be better for me then. I mean, if I'm going to a coffee shop or the couch to do some web browsing or whatever, I just bring my ipad.

And my school work, as of right now, doesn't require my computer to be mobile. Grant it, that may change in the foreseeable future, but right now it's not a factor really. I use my iPads and phone as mobile computers.

And I suppose if I do ever need to go mobile because I go to a dorm or need it for work or school and need that mobility, I guess I could always buy the Mac book at that time. And sell the imac if need be at that time, but I don't think I would need to.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Christ oh mighty...dude, I'm sorry but i have to just bow out with this...read the posts in here, read the threads that are on the site. We've covered every angle you could possibly think of ad nauseam. If you're having to dig this redundantly into the machines to justify purchasing one, maybe buying one isn't for you at this time.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Christ oh mighty...dude, I'm sorry but i have to just bow out with this...read the posts in here, read the threads that are on the site. We've covered every angle you could possibly think of ad nauseam. If you're having to dig this redundantly into the machines to justify purchasing one, maybe buying one isn't for you at this time.

How am I digging redundancy? I'm just trying to get a idea in my head what to put money towards. It's hard to save for some vague thing. It's often better to have a clear image of what your goal is.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
How am I digging redundancy? I'm just trying to get a idea in my head what to put money towards. It's hard to save for some vague thing. It's often better to have a clear image of what your goal is.

None of us know your goal. Sounds like you are just looking for a reason to spend money? It's simple- do you need a computer? If yes, desktop or laptop? Desktop - Mac mini or iMac. Laptop- MBP or Air. If laptop- do you need an internal DVD Rom? No- Air, Yes- MCP. If desktop - want all in one: iMac. If want separate to have a blu ray burner, external hard drives, etc: the Mac mini.

That simple.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But, of I am honest with myself, I really have more pressing financial concerns than buying a new computer (like my credit debt, car repair, etc.) so this is probably a irrelevant question to ask at this time because once I am able to afford and buy the imac after those financial obligations, well be onto a whole new refresh more than likely with new and better hardware.

American dream- buying crap with credit cards. That's the problem. People need to pay cash.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think in going with a iMac. I think I really just want a rock solid home desktop computer.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems that most people who buy a Mac book pro do it for video or photo editing. Or for extensive work. But what about the guy who just wants a computer for email, web, iTunes, music, word processing, and some potential school work I might need to do depending on the class? Then is that what the air or iMac is for?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
None of us know your goal. Sounds like you are just looking for a reason to spend money? It's simple- do you need a computer? If yes, desktop or laptop? Desktop - Mac mini or iMac. Laptop- MBP or Air. If laptop- do you need an internal DVD Rom? No- Air, Yes- MCP. If desktop - want all in one: iMac. If want separate to have a blu ray burner, external hard drives, etc: the Mac mini.

That simple.

It could be more complicated than that because while I might not need a portable computer now, I'm not sure if in the future ill need it to be portable for school or whatever.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It could be more complicated than that because while I might not need a portable computer now, I'm not sure if in the future ill need it to be portable for school or whatever.

Well that's the gamble you have to decide and take. There is nothing else that we can say to help you. People have given you advice. You take the advice and decide. The decision YOU need to make is iMac or MBA. Only you know what you might need. Me personally, when I was in school, I bought a MBP (before air was around, but I also did video and photo editing). Macs are pricey. Just cause you might not need a portable device now, it may come in handy for classes in future. I always used my laptop in class to take notes.

YOU need to make the decision. iMac for the things you need it for or MBA for the same things with the possibility for portability.

For me the decision would be MBA. Then when you're out of school, have own place and can afford it, you can get the iMac as then you might not need portability.

People are getting pissed cause you keep asking the same damn questions.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well that's the gamble you have to decide and take. There is nothing else that we can say to help you. People have given you advice. You take the advice and decide. The decision YOU need to make is iMac or MBA. Only you know what you might need. Me personally, when I was in school, I bought a MBP (before air was around, but I also did video and photo editing). Macs are pricey. Just cause you might not need a portable device now, it may come in handy for classes in future. I always used my laptop in class to take notes.

YOU need to make the decision. iMac for the things you need it for or MBA for the same things with the possibility for portability.

For me the decision would be MBA. Then when you're out of school, have own place and can afford it, you can get the iMac as then you might not need portability.

People are getting pissed cause you keep asking the same damn questions.

Yeah, your right. Sorry guys :)

I'm going to save for the air I think them when I get closer to the amount I need I'll access my needs at that time and see which suits it best.

I do have a ton of other things I need to pay and do financially before, though.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I went into a best buy to play around with the I. As and macbook. Honestly, on the iMac side, 27 inch looks to be the one I want from a performance aspect, but I think the 27 inch size might be too big for my usage.

Basically, this is going to be my main computer at home and for some light gaming so I'm wondering if the 21inch model with the GTX 650 would be enough for that?

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I went into a best buy to play around with the I. As and macbook. Honestly, on the iMac side, 27 inch looks to be the one I want from a performance aspect, but I think the 27 inch size might be too big for my usage.

Basically, this is going to be my main computer at home and for some light gaming so I'm wondering if the 21inch model with the GTX 650 would be enough for that?

How many times are you going to ask this same damn question?

Just pick the one you want

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This guy refuses to do his own homework essentially, he just wants someone to TELL him which computer to get ultimately.

RavenSword, no offense man, but just go buy whatever damn computer works best for you, lol. I've never in my life seen someone get suggestions over and over again, advice on specs and then come back and ask the same questions again and again. I'm not trying to run you off, but holy crap man, you HAVE to make some decisions yourself, and you HAVE to do some of the leg work on your own.

Would the GTX650 be enough? Go look up people's reviews of it online. It's as simple as that. I'll even give you a hotlink to Google so you don't have to type it.

People must want to strangle you when you're at a restaurant looking at the menu, lol...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox