Considering on picking up a MBP. Any recommendations on RAM?

itsjose

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Might pick up the 15.4" MacBook Pro model with 4 GB Memory.
Figured I would just upgrade the RAM myself. but I've never really messed with replacing parts on a computer before.
The process seems to be pretty simple but don't know if I should worry bout brands and such.

any recommendations?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Figured I would just upgrade the RAM myself. but I've never really messed with replacing parts on a computer before.
The process seems to be pretty simple but don't know if I should worry bout brands and such.

any recommendations?

RAM is cheap and very easy to install... as long as it’s not soldered in place (this is only done on the MacBook Airs and the Retina models of the MBP). Basically, remove the 10 screws on the back (bottom) of the MPB, disconnect/remove the battery (so nothing gets shorted out by changing the RAM with battery power applied), and add/replace RAM in the available sockets. Then reverse the steps to reassemble.

Buy the 4GB version and upgrade it yourself.

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2011 RAM - iFixit

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

any recommendations?

Yep. Just get ram yourself and save a few hundred bucks off the Apple premium price. I would max out the processor as fast as you can afford, those things tend to get outdated quicker than anything.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

itsjose

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
RAM is cheap and very easy to install... as long as it’s not soldered in place (this is only done on the MacBook Airs and the Retina models of the MBP). Basically, remove the 10 screws on the back (bottom) of the MPB, disconnect/remove the battery (so nothing gets shorted out by changing the RAM with battery power applied), and add/replace RAM in the available sockets. Then reverse the steps to reassemble.

Buy the 4GB version and upgrade it yourself.

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2011 RAM - iFixit

I appreciate the link!
Would the RAM brand have anything to do with it? or are is it all more or less the same?
Apple's website states that it only supports up to 8GB of RAM. Would I be okay if go up to 16GB?

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of vids on YouTube that show you how to replace the ram in a MBP. It's a pretty simple process. Just make sure you have the correct screwdriver (Phillips 00 I believe) to remove the bottom plate.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless you are doing graphics intensive projects or gaming, 8GB of RAM will be sufficient for just about any other user.

Replacing RAM is one of the easiest upgrades there are for these machines.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the link!
Would the RAM brand have anything to do with it? or are is it all more or less the same?
Apple's website states that it only supports up to 8GB of RAM. Would I be okay if go up to 16GB?

Any quality brand RAM is fine. Crucial, OWC... I?ve had good luck with Corsair, too. The key is to match the specs... and if you?re getting a 4GB machine, you?re gonna have to toss out 2 sticks of 2GB RAM... so just get 4 matching sticks... (correction) get 2 sticks of 8GB RAM for 16 total.

As for the 8GB max, what year is the MPB? You should be able to go to 16GB with no problem.

Last edited:

itsjose

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Any quality brand RAM is fine. Crucial, OWC... I’ve had good luck with Corsair, too. The key is to match the specs... and if you’re getting a 4GB machine, you’re gonna have to toss out 2 sticks of 2GB RAM... so just get 4 matching sticks...

As for the 8GB max, what year is the MPB? You should be able to go to 16GB with no problem.

I'm sure its the 2012 model.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...uId%3D3827152%23tab%3Doverview&token=IsSM2UXU

I appreciate all the help so far everybody! thank you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo