Confused about iPhone/iPad

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping someone can explain because I would like to buy an iPhone!

I have had an iPad for months. I have downloaded apps and apart from the fact that I am not great on a virtual keyboard, I have no problems downloading apps. I transfers photos from my PC to the ipad wirelessly.

The big thing I just cannot figure out is - what the heck is iTunes for if you don't want to get music on your ipad? I have had zero to do with iTunes BUT my son says that if I get an iPhone and I don't want the iPhone connected to the ipad, I have to do something or other I iTunes so I can control the two manually.

I want the phone to back up. I don't necessarily want all the photos on my ipad to appear on the iPhone. I want to be able to delete stuff from the phone or the ipad, without the same "stuff" vanishing from the other device. I have bought some apps. I assume if I don't connect the two devices, I will have to pay for the same apps again on the iPhone.

Can someone please explain, hopefully in a way someone a confused as me can understand, how I separate the two devices but have access to some paid apps? Is iTunes going to be involved? I have never connected the iPad to my computer. I have never downloaded iTunes on my computer.

I find it all so confusing that I think it would be easier to get a totally different account on the phone and just pay for the apps again!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping someone can explain because I would like to buy an iPhone!
I will try my best.

I have had an iPad for months. I have downloaded apps and apart from the fact that I am not great on a virtual keyboard, I have no problems downloading apps. I transfers photos from my PC to the ipad wirelessly.
Okay

The big thing I just cannot figure out is - what the heck is iTunes for if you don't want to get music on your ipad?
You can use iTunes for purchases, whether apps, music, video, tv shows and more importantly, you can use iTunes to backup, restore, update and troubleshoot your i-device(s).
I have had zero to do with iTunes BUT my son says that if I get an iPhone and I don't want the iPhone connected to the ipad, I have to do something or other I iTunes so I can control the two manually.
What do you mean "want the iPhone connected to the iPad?"

I want the phone to back up. I don't necessarily want all the photos on my ipad to appear on the iPhone. I want to be able to delete stuff from the phone or the ipad, without the same "stuff" vanishing from the other device. I have bought some apps. I assume if I don't connect the two devices, I will have to pay for the same apps again on the iPhone.

Can someone please explain, hopefully in a way someone a confused as me can understand, how I separate the two devices but have access to some paid apps? Is iTunes going to be involved? I have never connected the iPad to my computer. I have never downloaded iTunes on my computer.

I find it all so confusing that I think it would be easier to get a totally different account on the phone and just pay for the apps again!!!
Many people have several Apple devices in their home, and I'm one of them. Many of us use ONE Apple ID for purchases only and separate Apple IDs for everything else (email, ams/imessages/facetime, etcetera). By doing so, the family does not have to pay for an app to be used on each device and the backups for each device will be separate because they will be backed up using a separate Apple ID as mentioned above. If you delete an app on one device, it will not delete on another. In the Settings, under iTunes & App Store, there is a setting for "Automatic Downloads". You might not want this enabled because whatever one device purchases and downloads using the shared Apple ID, it will auto-download to all the other devices. As for backing up different devices on one computer, check out the information via the following link.

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer

​Hopefully, I was helpful.

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It does help some.

I never knew that my PC had any connection with the iPad. The only time I use the PC is when I want to transfer photos or videos from my PC to the iPad. I do this using Simple Transfer, an app that I downloaded on the iPad. I suppose in the iPad box in the closet, there might be some kind of a cable that I can use to connect the iPad to my PC. But as I have never wanted to do that, I haven't even checked if I have such a thing!

I got the iPad. I checked out the app store icon. I had no idea that it was anything to do with iTunes!! I did find an app with a music note on it. I had stuck it in a folder I made for things I don't use!!! Lo and behold it says "Itunes" on it. I had forgotten it was there!!

I have never had any Apple products before. I had been told that if I get an iPhone, it would be automatically connected to my iPad, and then if I had photos on my iPhone and I deleted them, the photos would be automatically deleted from my iPad. And I did not want that. I guess if I never enter my iPad ID on the iPhone, then maybe that will work until I figure things out better.

I will check that link you sent me. I knew that the iPad backed up to iCloud. But I didn't realize that if you had a problem, you had to use iTunes to fix things.

Anyway, thanks a lot. All this Apple stuff is very unfamiliar to me and most of the information I already had was passed along by people who had a bad experience with something Apple!!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. It does help some.
You're welcome.

...(snipped)...
I had been told that if I get an iPhone, it would be automatically connected to my iPad, and then if I had photos on my iPhone and I deleted them, the photos would be automatically deleted from my iPad. And I did not want that.
This is in relation to Photostream. If Photostream is turned on and both devices are configured with the same Apple ID then what you stated above is indeed true. However, to prevent that from happening, simply go to Setting>iCloud and turn OFF Photostream. Problem solved!...(snipped)

Last edited:

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I think I misunderstood you. I went on the Ipad in Settings and Icloud - and I went to Photostream and slid it to "off" - it then said if I did that it would delete all the photos from my Ipad. So I quickly said "cancel"!! I am assuming that perhaps I have to do that on the iPhone, do I? Do I have to do that on the phone before I put any photos on it?

Is that what I have to do.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I misunderstood you. I went on the Ipad in Settings and Icloud - and I went to Photostream and slid it to "off" - it then said if I did that it would delete all the photos from my Ipad. So I quickly said "cancel"!! I am assuming that perhaps I have to do that on the iPhone, do I? Do I have to do that on the phone before I put any photos on it?

Is that what I have to do.

With Photostream turned ON, you should have a Photostream folder as well as your camera roll. The photos that you take are sent to your camera roll along with a copy to your Photostream. The copied photos sent to your Photostream are only used to synced those photos to your other devices. When you turn OFF Photostream, only the photos in your Photostream are deleted. The photos in your camera roll are not affected and will not be deleted.

Update: check out the information via the following link:

http://www.imore.com/sync-stream-photos-wirelessly-icloud-photo-stream

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for your help. I am going to copy all my photos to my P C and then try that. Might sound like too much trouble, but I'd rather Nescaf? than sorry!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW