Coming from Android, but nervous!!!

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you new to iOS7 from Android? Im considering the jump.. But honestly I'm very nervous about the change... I've been on android for 5yrs... What can i expect? Are you happy with the change? What do like and don't u like about ios? Talk me! Before iJump!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using iMore Forums mobile app

snookasnoo

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had both for years. iOS 7 is far superior to any version of Android including the latest, the iPhone build quality and Apple service and support are also far superior. lots of people come over from android and hardly anyone goes to android from iPhone which should tell you something.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you new to iOS7 from Android?
No, but I'm really enjoying iOS 7 on my iPhone 5.
Im considering the jump.. But honestly I'm very nervous about the change...
Why are you nervous? What about iOS 7 that is making YOU want to switch to using an iPhone? I mean, something had to have attracted your attention.
I've been on android for 5yrs... What can i expect?
You can expect a well-built, easy-to-use, but powerful device that's well supported with tons of available apps. Furthermore, you can expect to find knowledgeable and helpful people here at iMore willing to lend a hand, if necessary.
Are you happy with the change?
I'm quite content with the iPhone, iOS 7 and with Apple, in general.
What do like and don't u like about ios? Talk me! Before iJump!!.

What I don't like are things that do not diminish my user experience, but could improve it a bit. For example, I dislike not having the tap to tweet widget, not being able to attach a document from within the mail app although I can send a document from basically anywhere else to the mail app to be attached. Other than stuff like that, I have no REAL complaints about the iPhone or with iOS 7.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you new to iOS7 from Android? Im considering the jump.. But honestly I'm very nervous about the change... I've been on android for 5yrs... What can i expect? Are you happy with the change? What do like and don't u like about ios? Talk me! Before iJump!!

I'm not new, but I owned an Android (two, actually!) for a couple of years, and so I've gone back and forth.

You can expect:
1. A more stable O/S.
2. A more responsive touchscreen.
3. An operating system that is harder to junk up and kill battery life on.

Those are the good parts.

If you like to fiddle with it, you'll like it less.

If you want to put the non-iTunes music you own onto it, you'll either have to sync your music library with your computer, or pay $25/year for iTunes Match for your library to go across the system via the cloud, or use an app like gMusic to stream music from your cloud-based Google Play Music library.

(Me, I have mainly iTunes music, but also use gMusic to stream extra stuff. I don't like having my iPhone synced with any computer.)

Apple has a locked down system because that makes it more secure and stable. This _works_, but it can be a little annoying.

Before iOS 5, with iCloud, I thought it was too annoying to stay with. Post-iOS 5, and now especially with iOS 7, I think it's great. It's a set of trade-offs I'm very willing to make.

(Also, I love being able to go to the Apple Store to get my phone or tablet fixed at cost. If I drop my phone in the lake, I can get it replaced for cost (~250); or for the AppleCare+ deductible (used to be $49, now is $79), if I pay $99 up front. (I do. Some don't like to.))

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Are there any things in particular that you're nervous about? I am not a huge Android user so I'm sure others will answer you eventually. Just though maybe throwing out specific things you are wondering about might help you get more specific answers.

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
To a couple of you who asked what am i nervous about.... Its the control thing... I love how ios works.. It just works.. But I'm use to having complete control on my phone.. Music, email attachments, and more....

After asking around.. I think I've kinda figured out how to separate an android user from ios..

On iphones and any "high end" android anyone can do the basics.. Call txt, email, browse... The question I'm learning is.. what kinda tinking around do u like to do? I'd best most techy people on ios will at some point be on their computer most days of the week.. So things itunes And having to sending attachments on you desktop don't bother u one bit...

Android users who are techy don't want to touch their desktop unless they have to. So having that access is a must... Interesting!!...

I'm really hung up here.. Thanks guys!!

Correct me if I'm wrong..

the1m.polo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had both for years. iOS 7 is far superior to any version of Android including the latest, the iPhone build quality and Apple service and support are also far superior. lots of people come over from android and hardly anyone goes to android from iPhone which should tell you something.

Honestly man... I think the OSs overall are close.. Depending on how you use your phone... Build quality yea.. I'd only compare the Htc one... But still give it apple iPhone.... I see many first time android users who just got tired of ios coming over and say they're never going back ... And i see some on Android say they're going back to ios... Soooo... Its really on the user... I use to hate apple and look I'm considering an iphone... Thats a big deal... People's needs and taste Change

karmamule

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from an HTC One, which I loved. Why switch if I loved it? Because I'm a gadget-junkie and find something to really admire about all iOS, Android, and WindowsPhone. Plus, now that T-Mo's JUMP program let's me feed my addiction I didn't hesitate to try out Apple's latest and greatest to see how life is on the iOS side of things. So far I'm loving my new iPhone 5s and iOS 7.

Things I really miss:
  • Widgets. It saves a lot of app hopping to have a good set of widgets
  • Custom keyboards. Swype and Swiftkey are both great, and the iPhone's keyboard is primitive in comparison
  • Larger screen size. Browsing just feels a bit too cramped on this screen

Things I really like:
  • The fingerprint sensor. It works great and is convenient!
  • Phone build quality and dimensions: I may not like the smaller screen, but the upside is how small and light the phone is, and even compared to the HTC One build quality is just a notch above
  • iO7 is elegant. It may skimp on a few features here and there, but I love the new graphic look and feel. The use of transparencies and always knowing what context you're working within is wonderfully designed.
  • Speed: The HTC One is a very fast phone with no lag, but the new 5s is a touch faster
  • Camera. Simply beautiful. If you want the best shots with the least effort it's still better than any Android phone's camera that I've ever used or seen results from.

There are lots of other little positives and negatives in making the move, but overall I'm very happy with it and no regrets!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To a couple of you who asked what am i nervous about.... Its the control thing... I love how ios works.. It just works.. But I'm use to having complete control on my phone.. Music, email attachments, and more....

After asking around.. I think I've kinda figured out how to separate an android user from ios..

On iphones and any "high end" android anyone can do the basics.. Call txt, email, browse... The question I'm learning is.. what kinda tinking around do u like to do? I'd best most techy people on ios will at some point be on their computer most days of the week.. So things itunes And having to sending attachments on you desktop don't bother u one bit...

Android users who are techy don't want to touch their desktop unless they have to. So having that access is a must... Interesting!!...

I ha d a couple of Android devices a few years back and I was big into rooting and flashing custom roms. I flashed all that were available at the time because I was curious, I enjoyed it, and I was always searching for the perfect setup. I customized it so much to where I got tired. I found that I was never satisfied and I was flashing and customizing more than I was actually using the device. I decided to go to the iPhone 4S. I did have apprehensions but they were quickly eliminated. I've never looked back and I have no intentions whatsoever in changing from the iPhone anytime soon, and I've yet to jailbreak it. I'm at peace with the iPhone and I now use it productively as-is and with selective third party apps.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I think that is a fair assessment given my time on both platforms. IOS not having a true accessable file system can be a headache for those who are used to using one. Granted there are a lot of ways around this, but it can be tempermental trying to undo habits you have built over 5 years.

I mentioned in a different reply to you how I handle all of my music needs via spotify. But where I might be similar to you is with my desire for control over my photos and videos. I have over 9,000 pics and vids on my phone. I hate using cloud storage so it is all local on my phone. It sucks because I cannot truly move pics from my camera roll to other albums the way I could with android. This used to really bother me, a lot. Having to depend on my computer and itunes to truly put all of my pics and videos in the folders I wanted. But then it occurred to me, that unlike android, once I have all of my pics where I want them....via Itunes I am truly synced between my computer and phone. This is important to me because if my phone ever takes a dump....I don't want those pics and videos going with it. I love the ease itunes provides, when I choose to use it.

The pros and cons of both platforms is a long list my friend. But I have found that there really is little that I could do on Android that I cannot do on IOS.....just perhaps in a different way. But like you said, i do have constant access to my computer when needed. I'm limited on some of the customization, but in the end I just found myself trying to make my android resemble my iphone anyways. And, I do appreciate that many of my go-to apps are much better quality on ios than on android. That is no lie.

Take advantage of that 14-day return window. Go grab a 5 or 5S/5C and give it an honest whirl over those two weeks. We are here to help answer any questions along the way!!

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Attachments aren't bad. You have to share them from the app you're sending them from, but it's well-integrated now.

Music is just one of those things. Pay Apple $25 for iTunes Match, sync to home computer, or stream from gMusic. Pick your poison.

tater0388

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've gone from being in love with my blackberry to making the switch to android with the droid 1 and on to iPhone back to android and back to an iPhone.

When I had my blackberry I loved it. It did everything I needed it to do and just worked and come on they have the best physical keyboard hands down.

Then I made the switch to vzw and didn't want a storm and I had the tour with sprint. Didn't want to downgrade to a curve so I decided to go with the droid. It was my first touch screen and I fell in love. There were issues and things I had to change to get it to do some of the things my blackberry did out of the box. But it was an amazing device. That had loads of potential but was lacking.

Then verizon finally got the iPhone. After 2 years of android and loads force closes and lack of apps not to mention being behind 2 Versions of the latest software for android I made the jump. It was love at first touch. The phone did everything I needed it to do out of the box. No rooting or jail breaking required. Apple releases a os update and bam I had it. No waiting. No issues. No force closes. It just worked how and when I wanted.

Then came the galaxy s3. I had to have it. That screen. The features (more like gimmicks) it was a beauty. I had that phone for an hour and hated it. I kept it a week and hated it. Just hits the market and not even running the latest software and no one knows when it's coming. The os was buggy and lagged. I had to download a ton of apps just to get what I needed done done. And I was lucky if they didn't force close when I was using them. Needless to say I took it back and got a brand new iPhone 5. And with a few clicks and a restore from iCloud I had all my apps back and just where I had them placed.

I couldn't be happier with my iPhone. And the reason for this long a** post it's just to say to each their own. You know what you like and what works for you. If you try an iPhone you may love it you may hate it. It's what works best for you. As for me it's my shiny new iPhone 5s!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 7 and I jumped from an HTC One before getting my iPhone.

1) On my HTC One, I was continually trying to calm wakelocks. I got terrible idle battery drain and terrible battery drain while the screen was on. I was always trying a different ROM to contain them; to make my battery life better. While the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery, you simple do not need it in my experience. Everything is contained and nothing is allowed to run without your expressed approval.

2) Using Siri will not drain your battery, even when not using it like Google Now.

3) You will get top notch hardware support at any Apple Store unlike Android.

4) You do not have widgets so if you can't live without them, don't switch.

5) The quality of the apps is greater than Android.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So I'm gathering you have decided to make the change by the title of this thread compared to your previous thread. As someone pointed out, you get to have a couple weeks before committing. Let's say you are still undecided after 14 days but make the decision to stay with iOS. Well you can always sell your phone for a decent amount of money and either go back to your old Android device or use the money to buy a new one. Worst case scenario is you have to wait till your contract is up and switch back which isn't a huge deal in the spectrum of life. Of course I am assuming you are in the US with the last point and that assumption can be wrong in this forum.

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Go on Craigslist and buy a used 5 or 4s and run it for a month. If you like it and want to switch sell it and buy a new 5s. If not sell it and switch back to your current Android. Or buy a 5 and run it and if you like it wait until the 6 is released and buy that one new. It's not a big deal to find a used one and give it a test run.

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
  • Widgets. It saves a lot of app hopping to have a good set of widgets
  • Custom keyboards. Swype and Swiftkey are both great, and the iPhone's keyboard is primitive in comparison
  • Larger screen size. Browsing just feels a bit too cramped on this screen

Widgets? They're a mixed bag for me.
When I have an iPhone, I look at widgets and think they're so cool and want them. When I have an Android phone, it's like widget binge in the beginning. With the S3, it was like 8 pages of widgets- it was so cool! I loved organizing the widgets and icons on the wallpaper. Why couldn't Apple think of this? Then after awhile it got a bit old for me. I went the other way- I pared my homescreens down to 4 and even then most of the widgets I don't really use. There was a time where I just pared it down to 1 homescreen with the date real big and the icons on the bottom row.

Really the two greatest widgets are 1) the flashlight widget- great to have a button to turn on/off the light and 2) the calendar widget- it's great to have one homepage with everything on there. But even then, it's too small to see and you end up having to go into the calendar app to see things in the afternoon. I can see the utility in them and it can jazz up the OS look... but at the same time I feel like it's more a design touch than anything really useful. Now... widgets on tablets are another story- the large screen can make things useful.

Swype is a lifesaver. I love it.

Larger screen size? I can live without widgets, I can do without swype- I might grumble a bit, but I'm cool- the screen size is what bothers me the most. I've got a 4.8" screen and really that's the killer feature for me. But then again, it is a big phone. The iPhone looks so svelte in comparison.

Even then, it just all comes down to personal preference

Iceycold

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I ha d a couple of Android devices a few years back and I was big into rooting and flashing custom roms. I flashed all that were available at the time because I was curious, I enjoyed it, and I was always searching for the perfect setup. I customized it so much to where I got tired. I found that I was never satisfied and I was flashing and customizing more than I was actually using the device. I decided to go to the iPhone 4S. I did have apprehensions but they were quickly eliminated. I've never looked back and I have no intentions whatsoever in changing from the iPhone anytime soon, and I've yet to jailbreak it. I'm at peace with the iPhone and I now use it productively as-is and with selective third party apps.

Same exact story with me. I'm really content with ios and iPhone overall, coming from a Galaxy Nexus and longtime Android user.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen