Coming from Android -- Android Auto equivalent?

mzanette

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Been using Android the last 7 years or so, and I use Android Auto quite a bit while driving. There's an app that runs on your phone that will read text messages and have a simple user interface. Is there an equivalent iOS version of this that runs right on the iPhone? I realize there's CarPlay, but it has to be connected to a compatible deck -- something I don't have. Is Apple playing to make a carplay app that runs right on the phone?

Edit: thanks for the replies (not sure how to add a reply in the thread here). I was hoping Apple would make the CarPlay app able to run just on the iPhone for people that don't have a carplay enabled car, I was so used to it on Android. But that's ok, I'll try the hey Siri features and see if it does what I need.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. My truck has CarPlay and my work phone is an Android so I've used both systems and Android Auto is definitely better than CarPlay. I assume it has to be built-in since CarPlay actually uses the phone. As in, if your screen is unlocked and you change apps, they are actually changing on your phone as well.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore. I realize that this isn't the answer you were looking for, but when a text comes in while you're driving, you can say "Hey Siri, read my texts". You may want to ensure that "Hey Siri" is set up on your iPhone: go to Settings>Siri & Search>Toggle on Listen for "Hey Siri"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner