Cheapest site for lightning cables for iphone5?

Pocobear

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Until Apple allows 3rd parties to make and sell Lightning products under licence, buy only from Apple. Otherwise you will just loose your money and possibly damage your iDevice.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Need a couple of cables. Any reccomendations?

Going cheap on cables is like buying used, bald, junkyard tires for your car.

OEM or licensed is the way to go unless you're able to pony up full retail for a phone at will when a bad cable burns up your phone...

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware that apple wasn't allowing 3rd parties to make the cables yet.

Guess i will have to go with an apple one.

I have a palm pre usb charger. Can I plug the lightning cable into there or will that fry the phone?

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't aware that apple wasn't allowing 3rd parties to make the cables yet.

Guess i will have to go with an apple one.

I have a palm pre usb charger. Can I plug the lightning cable into there or will that fry the phone?

Read around and you'll find these cables are far more complex than the previous cables. The third party cables that are out there were still $15 last time I checked (which was a few weeks ago). So it's best to spend a few extra bucks on something you know will work. The days of $2 cables where you could afford to chuck the ones that don't work are probably behind us. :(

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Www.sunsky-online.com. You can get them from 5-15 bucks depending on which one you buy. I ordered one a while back but it should be arriving soon. If it works out il let you know about it :)

... and you will soon be putting your device at risk... unlicensed, cheap Chinese knockoffs so far have been exposed a shoddy wanna-bes, and most definitely put your expensive device at risk... a crap shoot at best...

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
LOL where do you think apple products are made? China. What difference does it make whether they come from Foxconn or another Chinese factory? The iPhone 4 and 4S had millions of unlicensed products and they did pretty good in the market and didn't halt problems with accessory makers. This is just another way for apple to make profits off of us consumers.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
LOL where do you think apple products are made? China. What difference does it make whether they come from Foxconn or another Chinese factory? The iPhone 4 and 4S had millions of unlicensed products and they did pretty good in the market and didn't halt problems with accessory makers. This is just another way for apple to make profits off of us consumers.

No, the difference is the quality standards. Do you think the $19 cable price is all profit? The knockoffs lack the circuitry that bring the cables up to Apple's design standard. But it’s your iPhone/iPod/iPad. If you want to fry it to save a few bucks, go for it. You own it, treat it however you want. I’m just saying that I wouldn’t risk it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Will let you know if its fried don't worry. We'll see if circuitry is missing or if its just a 20 buck difference in price.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

Use at your own risk, but that is a nice quality charger with the same voltage rating so theoretically you should be fine. I personally use the Palm Pre car charger with the apple lightning cable with no problems.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The cable on the right is the 3rd party cable.

ubegudyn.jpg

SUNSKY - Lightning 8 Pin USB Sync Data / Charging Cable for iPhone 5, iPad mini, iTouch 5, Length: 1m This is the cable I bought and It works for me. Other users have commented it as working on the website (scroll down and read them). I tried this cable and it works with charging and syncing.

Just goes to show you that not everything Apple tells you about their products is true. The "security" features were put in place so that apple had control over which accessories were made for thie product (and so that they can collect money form accessory makers).

"No, the difference is the quality standards. Do you think the $19 cable price is all profit? The knockoffs lack the circuitry that bring the cables up to Apple's design standard."

As long as the cable uses the same voltage as a receiver it will work. It takes about $185 to build an iphone 5 from scratch and the Chinese get very low wages. Why do you think Apple never has a problem replacing or repairing devices? Its because they are made dirt cheap and have huge profit margins, more than any other electronic on the market. If you don't believe me, research it. There are already unlicensed dock accessories for the iphone that if you look around, you will find them, As long as my power source has a surge protector, nothing can happen to it, but then again I am not forcing anyone to buy the cable, just simply showing them that not everything a company says about a product is true.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to use Cheap 3rd party cables... If It Does Fry your phone act like an idiot at the Apple store saying you don't know what happened. These cheap cables aren't tested so if you happen to burn down a residence or something because they aren't tested feel free... It's your risk... hate to say it but some people are just plain Cheap... is it really worth the potential risk... Whatever.... I'm bored with this already.... Yawn....

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Feel free to use Cheap 3rd party cables... If It Does Fry your phone act like an idiot at the Apple store saying you don't know what happened. These cheap cables aren't tested so if you happen to burn down a residence or something because they aren't tested feel free... It's your risk... hate to say it but some people are just plain Cheap... is it really worth the potential risk... Whatever.... I'm bored with this already.... Yawn....

Yes I am cheap. Thank you. I save money where I can and if you give me a choice between a cable that charges my phone I will save my money. I don't have a huge trust fund I can dip into, my apologies if you do.

By the way, this topic is about getting cheap lightning cables for the iPhone 5 and if I am telling the OP where he can get them and telling him that it works for me then I don't see any reason as to why you're commenting about my spending habits.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Highly recommended to stick with OEM, for only 10 dollars less it's not really worth the potential issues

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The big difference between the Lightning situation and the previous cables for the 4S and below is that the complexity of the chip makes it harder to knock off at a super-cheap price. Check out this article for an eye-opening look at the build construction: China Finally Cracks Apple's Secret iPhone 5 Cable: Here Come the Cheap Clones and note that some of the knock-off cables are literally held together with masking tape.

original.jpg

It goes on to mention that Apple could (in theory; I seriously doubt it would happen) stop the knock-offs from working by issuing a software update. Does all this mean you'll fry your phone? Probably not. I've used third party cables before without issue, but for now I'm sticking with Apple cables for my iPhone 5--for the few I need, the savings wouldn't be enough to tempt me. I'm sure that down the line I'll grab one or two for traveling.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen