Cheaper to go thru Apple or Verizon to get a new iPhone every year?

I

iMore Question

My 2 year (iPhone 5S) contract with Verizon ends in November this year. I will stay with Verizon cell service but I want to get a new iPhone every year instead of every 2 years. Better deal thru Apple or Verizon? Thanks!

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
My 2 year (iPhone 5S) contract with Verizon ends in November this year. I will stay with Verizon cell service but I want to get a new iPhone every year instead of every 2 years. Better deal thru Apple or Verizon? Thanks!

The cost should be exactly the same - Verizon's Device Payment Plan and Apple's Upgrade Program simply split up the cost of the iPhone over 24 months.

The upside of Apple's upgrade program is that you can tack on Apple Care + for $5/month. The downside of Apple's program is that you have to open a line of credit to finance the phone and requires a hard pull on your credit. If you've been a Verizon customer for a while with good payment history, they'll at most do a soft pull of your credit (if any at all) and you won't have to open a line of credit which is much more ideal.

Unless you want Apple Care and want to pay for it monthly rather than all at once, Verizon's plan is the better way to go, IMO.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Verizon may actually be cheaper, as they don't require you to have Apple Care, BUT you then don't get Apple Care. Also via Apple you are getting ab unlocked device and you are NOT locked in to Verizon (to a degree), HOWEVER with the Verizon financing you are totally locked in to Verizon.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The cost should be exactly the same - Verizon's Device Payment Plan and Apple's Upgrade Program simply split up the cost of the iPhone over 24 months.

The upside of Apple's upgrade program is that you can tack on Apple Care + for $5/month. The downside of Apple's program is that you have to open a line of credit to finance the phone and requires a hard pull on your credit. If you've been a Verizon customer for a while with good payment history, they'll at most do a soft pull of your credit (if any at all) and you won't have to open a line of credit which is much more ideal.

Unless you want Apple Care and want to pay for it monthly rather than all at once, Verizon's plan is the better way to go, IMO.

Apple Care is actually required now.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
My 7th grader's 5s is paid off and we are going to get her a iphone7. Can anyone please give the pros and cons of the apple upgrade program vs. verizon for a 7th grader. Thank you
Both myself and my wife are on the apple upgrade program.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Upgrade Program requires a credit check. Verizon's program does not. It just requires that the account be in good standing.

Apple's program rolls the cost of Apple Care + into the monthly payment (which makes the monthly payment slightly higher but spreads out the cost).
With Verizon's program, you have to pay for Apple Care + separately and all upfront.

Verizon is usually fairly generous at the release of a new iPhone with the trade in of an old iPhone.

Otherwise, they are very similar.

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My 7th grader's 5s is paid off and we are going to get her a iphone7. Can anyone please give the pros and cons of the apple upgrade program vs. verizon for a 7th grader. Thank you
Both myself and my wife are on the apple upgrade program.
Verizon in my opinion is better

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
budwhyneon.jpg

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site

They are pretty much the same price, no matter who you go through. It just depends on what you want. Nobody does contract anymore so your bill will go up a little.