Charging up!!

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What's everybodys preference as to when they charge the battery? I myself try to drain it fully every time and then give it a full charge but lately my battery is dying pretty quick.

d8b5cd4b.jpg

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be great.
I'm on a 4s too.

cschmach

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just charge mine nightly (average 6 hrs on charger). Unplugging at 0445 hrs with a lot of daily texting puts me at around 45% battery when I plug back in at 2100 hrs. The only time I have battery issues is when I am on an extended network signal. I also do a complete drain once a month and use the Boost Magic app.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I do the same just charge nightly I normally get like 5 hours usage the less usage the longer my standby time

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
from my understanding you only need to run it completely down once a month - let it die completely, then recharge.

But I too recharge every night. Doing quick top-offs is ok..

so.long.pre

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a charger at home amd one at work. I have Siri remind me once a month to let my battery drain ( I heard from a thread that you were supposed to do that)

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What's everybodys preference as to when they charge the battery? I myself try to drain it fully every time and then give it a full charge but lately my battery is dying pretty quick.
Fully draining lithium cells isn't good for them. Top off as needed and fully drain once a month. You want to strike a balance and that's why Apple makes the recommendation below.

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be great.
Here's what Apple says (easy found by Googling):

Apple - Batteries - iPhone
Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it?s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I just charge mine while I sleep. I work 5 pm to 2 am so sometimes I'll plug it in on the way to work if needed.

Sent from my iPhone

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It's not bad for the battery to be discharged completely before charging, but it will shorten its life. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they die. Charging nightly is best. Letting your battery fully discharge once a month should keep your "fuel gauge" (battery stats) accurate.

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan OV CM7.2 using Tapatalk.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
thanks everyone, I'm now going to change the way i charge up. whats the average lowest percent before charging up everyone lets it get to?

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This is a summary of the best practices for charging, from Battery University:

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i wake up and head to the gym at 4 am...this is when my phone gets plugged in. I officially leave my house for work at 8 am in the morning, and by then my battery is fully charged (with the plug icon). I occasionally charge mine overnight aswell.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I generally charge overnight with my 4 powered down. I power on between 5:45 and 6:00 and let it go through my work day which is normally 9-10 hours or more. Regardless of percentage (anywhere from 50-70+) I let it charge in my truck on the way home.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not bad for the battery to be discharged completely before charging, but it will shorten its life. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they die. Charging nightly is best. Letting your battery fully discharge once a month should keep your "fuel gauge" (battery stats) accurate.

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan OV CM7.2 using Tapatalk.

Didn't you just contradict yourself? It's not bad but it will shorten its life? Shortening the life sounds bad to me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Didn't you just contradict yourself? It's not bad but it will shorten its life? Shortening the life sounds bad to me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yeah but look at a laptop that you never unplug. After a couple months maybe even a year it can't even keep a charge. Which is why they recommend discharging it once a month.
It might shorten the batteries life, but it'll keep it running better the time you have it

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading here how everyone charges up over night. Which is what I used to be able to do when I had my BB9810. However, I'm definitely using my iphone 4s more often than I used to use the BB. I charged while I sleep (during the day/work overnights). But I find myself "panicy" if I get under 30%. So I will end up doing a charge at that point which is usually 2 more times whether at night while at work or evening time. Most times I let it charge fully other times I can't and only charge to about 80%. I am constantly on my ip 4s (slight addiction here ;-/ ). I'm curious to know those of you only having to charge once overnight, are you a heavy user or what? I also like to do a total drain until shut down about once a month as well. Just trying to compare and see, first: how often the need for others second: any other people addicted and use their iphones allll day long?! Do I need counseling on this subject or what? LOL...help me out people. :p

xkon

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from my BlackBerry, which I'd charge overnight and run it. I'm finding the 4S battery very good - comparable to my best 3G BlackBerry. Combined with the tomtom mount to juice it on long trips I rarely run it down.. I too like to run it dead now and again to remind it of its full capacity... It really did help on my BlackBerrys but I think it's just an old habit for me now. I'll do it with laptops as well, once a month.