Charging is not supported...

IMF

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I'm hoping someone on here has a suggestion for how to make this work. Here's the situation: In our two cars, we have the same setup for charging with a belkin cigarette lighter adapter and a usb charging cable plugged into the charger.

Car A has a USB extension cable added between the iPhone cable and the power adapter.
Car B only has the iPhone cable.

My black 3gs will charge correctly in both cars, while my wife's white 3gs will only charge in car B. In car A, the white iPhone reports that charging is not supported with this accessory.

Since the only difference is the extension cable, it would seem that that is the culprit. What I don't understand, however, is why the black iPhone is happy with that setup.

Both phones are running the same version of iOS (4.3.5), so there shouldn't be a difference there.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I would start with swapping the charger setups between cars and see of the problem moves with the adapters.

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have learned over the years of owning iPhone's since they first came out that each iPhone has it's own unique personality. I have had some not like a specific charger others not want to connect to a Bluetooth headset etc.

I suggest you move the extension to the other car and if it still won't charge the wife's iPhone replace the extension.

swfreeman

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how helpful this is but my iPhone gives me that warning randomly and, when I dismiss the warning, it charges and works as expected. There may be some timing issues when I plug it in and the car is turned on since the cig outlet is engine dependent.

jackson1714

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i use to the belkins because they were cheaper, but i was having the same problem, sometimes if you just reboot your iphone it will work or just take out and put it back in. i eventually went back to apple usb charger to avoid all of it.

hlresh

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have this issue with my Bose dock from time to time. I used canned air to blow out any dust from both the iphone and the plug and that seemed to fix my issue.

Reactions: tibbi64

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar sort of problem with some incompatibility between charges and my 3GS. I had to get an adapter from Cabeljive to fix it.

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how helpful this is but my iPhone gives me that warning randomly and, when I dismiss the warning, it charges and works as expected. There may be some timing issues when I plug it in and the car is turned on since the cig outlet is engine dependent.

Yep same with my 3GS. Still weird. I'd swap chargers and check. Are those the same chargers? Jailbroken phones?

IMF

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. It seems like it is really just a personality difference between the two phones. The white one is just more picky about it's cables. We are going to be upgrading to the 4s soon, and are hopeful that the problem will just go away with the new phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMF

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
A quick update if anyone is interested.....iOS 5 seems to have fixed the issue. Everything works perfectly after the update.

FrDakota

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A quick update if anyone is interested.....iOS 5 seems to have fixed the issue. Everything works perfectly after the update.

Great for you.

Since I switched to the iPhone 4 from my Edge one I had the problem with my non oem iPod car kit, I couldn't charge.

Since then I've been using Scosche's charging adapter.

Just an idea for those who still have problems.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods