• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Charge iphone using ipad power brick?

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I recently got the ipad2. With it came a more powerful brick. I notice when charging my ipad using my iphone power brick it takes FOREVER to charge. When using the ipad one, it goes much faster. I only like to have 1 of these around since I can interchangably charge either device which needs charging at the time. Question is, would it be ok for me to use the ipad charger which has a higher output to charge my iphone, or will it damage the battery?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I recently got the ipad2. With it came a more powerful brick. I notice when charging my ipad using my iphone power brick it takes FOREVER to charge. When using the ipad one, it goes much faster. I only like to have 1 of these around since I can interchangably charge either device which needs charging at the time. Question is, would it be ok for me to use the ipad charger which has a higher output to charge my iphone, or will it damage the battery?

I believe the iPhone charger is only 5W and some number of amps, while the iPad charger is 10W. So when you charge the iPad with the iPhone charger, it's way slower. And if you plug it into the USB on the computer, it doesn't charge at all unless the screen is off.

Now for the reverse, I do charger my iPhone all the time with the iPad charger and it seems to work perfectly fine. I heard that the iPhone will only draw what it needs.

EDIT: Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

It says : "It also charges iPhone and all iPod models with a dock connector."

Bryk

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
it will in a long run, it will not affect your iPhone as of now, but after a while you WILL start to notice decrease in battery usage, there is a reason they make separate bricks for each iDevice..all iPhones do eventually need a battery swap, your just speeding up the process

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
it will in a long run, it will not affect your iPhone as of now, but after a while you WILL start to notice decrease in battery usage, there is a reason they make separate bricks for each iDevice..all iPhones do eventually need a battery swap, your just speeding up the process

apple does post on their site that the 10w ipad charger IS compatible with the iphone. it will be fine.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomoreimore