Changing my battery for the first time on Friday at the genius bar

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
But I have no idea about pricing or such. I live in Singapore and was wondering if the pricing will be consistent throughout (29 dollars US) or there will be price differences. Just wondering about this before I head down I guess.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It is and I am thinking that Apple really makes a loss on everyone of these.

I highly doubt that. Batteries aren’t the most expensive part of mobile devices. Apple may not earn as much as before on battery replacement but they’re definitely not losing money. Their profit is just considerably lower.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I highly doubt this.
56096519bd86ef1c008bd76c-1136-852.png

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
For a battery that likely costs them $3?

Well, there is also the cost of the labor to do the install. Plus, Apple warrants the battery for a while, I believe, so there is the possible future cost of more batteries and labor in an admittedly small number of cases.

30 minutes to 1 hour of a technician to do the install, plus the cost of the machine that they use for this. Probably more than $25 for all of that per battery install, though maybe that's right on. They are probably doing this at their cost.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well, there is also the cost of the labor to do the install. Plus, Apple warrants the battery for a while, I believe, so there is the possible future cost of more batteries and labor in an admittedly small number of cases.

30 minutes to 1 hour of a technician to do the install, plus the cost of the machine that they use for this. Probably more than $25 for all of that per battery install, though maybe that's right on. They are probably doing this at their cost.

I get that. But I’m talking about just the cost of the battery itself. Apple can do these fir $29 and stay at cost of below with labor. They should not be making a profit on these. Somebody about mentioned they though $79 was cheap. I just disagree with that statement. It should just be $29 all the time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I get that. But I’m talking about just the cost of the battery itself. Apple can do these fir $29 and stay at cost of below with labor. They should not be making a profit on these. Somebody about mentioned they though $79 was cheap. I just disagree with that statement. It should just be $29 all the time.

You never pay what you should pay, you always pay more because other people also got to eat. It’s called doing business.
Only when you pay double or even ten times more, it’s called capitalism.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You never pay what you should pay, you always pay more because other people also got to eat. It’s called doing business.
Only when you pay double or even ten times more, it’s called capitalism.

Let’s be real here. Do you think Apple is starving? Considering your iPhone can’t get full processor power if you want to avoid shut downs. Should Apple being marking up battery replacement? No. That’s a service they should be doing at cost which is probably the $29 they are charging. Since Apple couldn’t figure out how to avoid this, $29 should be a permanent pricing. Not a temporary thing. Leave the profits to sales. Not a required servicing of a slow iPhone after its 1 year old.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Let’s be real here. Do you think Apple is starving? Considering your iPhone can’t get full processor power if you want to avoid shut downs. Should Apple being marking up battery replacement? No. That’s a service they should be doing at cost which is probably the $29 they are charging. Since Apple couldn’t figure out how to avoid this, $29 should be a permanent pricing. Not a temporary thing. Leave the profits to sales. Not a required servicing of a slow iPhone after its 1 year old.

Wowsersssss..
Apple’s service is already beyond and above. And it is a know fact that batteries deplete over time. Offering to change them is a service in itself, asking a certain price for that service is their prerogative.

For example: your car dealer charges you money for new tires every few years, doesn’t it? For a price? I rest my case.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I won't be surprised if Apple continues the $29 (or at least lower cost) battery replacement program after 2018. And I won't be surprised if it just goes back to $79. I think it could go either way.

Every battery replacement not only has a cost in labor, it has an opportunity cost that keeps the Genius Bar so busy that customers have to wait a few days for a appointment (I just checked my local store; the earliest appointment is in two days; back in March, it was four days. This is one of the reasons why I always keep my old phone when I upgrade, so at least I have something if my phone fails). Keeping the price higher will reduce service calls so that the GB can continue to provide service for other important issues. If Apple returns to doing a battery service only if your battery fails diagnostics, even for lower cost, maybe that will be a good compromise going forward?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

And also that explains why they are only doing it till the end of the year, or so I heard.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I won't be surprised if Apple continues the $29 (or at least lower cost) battery replacement program after 2018. And I won't be surprised if it just goes back to $79. I think it could go either way.

Every battery replacement not only has a cost in labor, it has an opportunity cost that keeps the Genius Bar so busy that customers have to wait a few days for a appointment (I just checked my local store; the earliest appointment is in two days; back in March, it was four days. This is one of the reasons why I always keep my old phone when I upgrade, so at least I have something if my phone fails). Keeping the price higher will reduce service calls so that the GB can continue to provide service for other important issues. If Apple returns to doing a battery service only if your battery fails diagnostics, even for lower cost, maybe that will be a good compromise going forward?

Lets hope they keep these battery replacements, but I'm speaking from the consumer side. If Apple is "going over backwards" for these replacements, selling them at cost, then I can certainly understand if they won't be doing it long term. And it looks like they won't.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR