Change notification sounds for any app on your iPhone or iPad with PushTone

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site

As of iOS 5, Apple allows you to change the default notification tones for stock apps such as Mail, Calendar, Reminders, SMS, Twitter, and a few others. If you're jailbroken, PushTone follows the trend by allowing you to change notification tones for all your third party apps as well.

How-to-change-notifications-for-3rd-party-apps-with-pushtone.jpg

Once you install PushTone there's nothing to configure. Just pop straight into Notifications from your Settings app. Pick the app you'd like to change the notification for and scroll all the way to the bottom of your notification preferences for that specific application. You'll now see a new option called Push Tone. Tap into it and you can choose from any tone you have installed on your device.

I particularly like this feature because some of the 3rd party applications I have installed have rather lame tones or the developer just chose to use the default tri-tone sound. There are too many iOS devices floating around that use tri-tone and I like my sounds to be unique. I don't like to use the same tone for two apps so then I know without even being near my iPhone or iPad what app is pushing me a notification.

Sure you can always change notification tones by SSH'ing into your device and replacing them yourself but this will be a much easier way for many users. Plus you can change them on the go and don't have to rely on being near a computer in order to SSH and change them.

I've found a few other apps that include this feature but they tend to be bogged down or have other features I just don't need or won't ever use. So if you're looking for a simple application that'll give you complete control over your push notification sounds, PushTone is all you'll need.

It's compatible with both iPhone and iPad but you'll need to be running iOS 5 or higher.

$1.99 - Cydia Search Link

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just a note: Once this is installed it works. But for some reason it kept my messages alert silent and I had to manually change the tone for messages in notification center with PushTone. Didn't have to do that for any of the other stock apps as they just remained the same as they were already set before PushTone.

Edit: The update to this app fixed this problem.

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
SInce the update today, it isn't working. Anyone else having this problem?

i haven't had any notifications to test this out yet, amazingly enough. however, IF this is true it's **** like this that drives me crazy!

can you email the Dev and see if this is indeed a known issue?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
is there anyway I can downgrade to older version? 1.1.2?

you'd have to find the .deb file somewhere and load properly onto your device after removing the existing one

probably easier to just troubleshoot the original issue: remove & reinstall, reboot etc..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2