Cellular Apple Watch Series 4 to the rescue!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
A while ago I asked several members how they liked their cellular Apple Watch and if they thought it was worth it prior to making a purchase of my own. Well I made the purchase around November of last year and so far I've been moderately pleased with it. I have no complaints. My use of the cellular capabilities was limited to quick store runs.

Until today...
I forgot my phone at home and I only had that initial, "Oh no, I'm naked" feeling for 5 minutes. Then I realized that I have my Watch. I can still receive any calls I may miss and respond to texts. Most importantly, when paired with my AirPods (or BeatsX) I can still listen to my music during my morning at my desk.

This ability is great. I don't feel so dependent on my phone to stay connected (or in tune). A definite upgrade from my previous Series 1 model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No doubt about it! The $10 per month fee for the cellular service is indeed worth it ‘for me’. Anyway, I’m glad you like having the cellular option and the feeling that comes with it. Take care.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Been there and done that! It is so refreshing not to have to be connected all the time. It's really amazing to realize how relaxed my fingers have become since I'm not gripping my phone all the time! :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This thread makes me want to run out and buy a Apple Watch series 4 today...LOL

I don’t have a Series 4 Watch, but I do have cellular service with my Series 3. I considered the Series 4, but decided that it wasn’t much of an upgrade from my Series 3.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a series 3 on LTE and while I've never accidentally left my phone at home, I have purposefully left it at home just to see if I'd miss it. Other than reaching for it to snap a photo......nope.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I “never” forget my phone......but I sure did both Saturday&Sunday when we went out to eat!! There’s a moment of panic but all is well with my series4

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather leave for work without my phone than without my watch! :rotfl:

Oh, boy, not me! The watch is great, but by itself to me it remains a support device for the phone. I don't even want to go on a run without the phone. I am so much more productive for everything I might need to do away from home (directions, listening to media, sending messages and emails, etc.) with a phone than with just a watch, and almost everything I can do with the watch, I can replace with the phone easier than I could replace the phone with the watch.

But, we're all different, and that's fine. You're not wrong for you, that's for sure.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, boy, not me! The watch is great, but by itself to me it remains a support device for the phone. I don't even want to go on a run without the phone. I am so much more productive for everything I might need to do away from home (directions, listening to media, sending messages and emails, etc.) with a phone than with just a watch, and almost everything I can do with the watch, I can replace with the phone easier than I could replace the phone with the watch.

But, we're all different, and that's fine. You're not wrong for you, that's for sure.

For me, I'm fine with quick runs without my phone if I have my watch. I actually do it all the time. At most, I'm listening to music, making or receiving a phone call or sending or receiving a quick text. All of that I can do easily with my watch and AirPods. For longer trips, I'd definitely rather have my phone but I'm more and more starting to realize how much I can get done on my Watch without really needing my phone.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
In reality, I would never leave home without either my phone or my watch. The only exception is that I run every morning and I don't take my phone. It's nice to know that if there is some communication that won't wait until I get back, I still get it.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather leave for work without my phone than without my watch! :rotfl:
Personally I'd rather turn around and go get my phone than go to work without my phone. The only time I would strictly depend on my watch is if my phone is broken into a million pieces, and that would only be the amount time it took me to drive to the Apple Store to get a new phone. I use my watch all the time (no pun intended) and love it dearly, but it by no means can be considered a iPhone replacement ...

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This thread is a bad influence for spending money...LOL

After finally activated my Series 4 it took the first exercise escape in the neighborhood to wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Before I activated the watch I was driving and somehow answering the call happened on the watch. It was funny to have the caller ask if I got a new car because the bluetooth mic sounded better than usual.

One thing I did realize when the phone was not near is it does pass notifications from Microsoft Teams the watch won't get by itself. I probably have to remind the c suite to text or call for a true emergency. I should also revisit mail notifications because my servers or devices down for 5 min+ alarms mostly come to email.

With the watch cellular activated I agree with any of the sentiments that Apple Watch 4 might have been the best fall 2018 release, and if anyone didn't think the watches are prime time products, they sure are now.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I concur with OP’s views. At times I just don’t wish to bring my phone out on weekend dinners and running certain errands, even when at the office. My cellular Series 4 stays connected and I still get my notifications and calls.

Besides, the battery life on cellular is much better than on my previous Series 3 LTE.

Worth the subscription.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, interesting.

When I first bought my Apple Watch Series 4, I activated the cellular service.

After about 5 days, I cancelled the service. Then, a few weeks later I received my AT&T wireless bill. To say I was perturbed, was an understatement. Do you know AT&T charge $30 to activate the service on the watch? And then, here I was having cancelled the service after 5 days.

So, in essence, I paid $30 + $2 for the service used. No, I was not happy...

Hmm.... How did you not see that in any pre-sales homework or when you activated the watch? I know Verizon best but I help our staff who have other carriers. If not during pre-sales, every time I've seen or done the activation I've seen the terms you accept.

I'm sorry that you're not happy nor found it worth keeping what I find wonderful. To me it seems like you forgot or didn't read the terms you accepted.

So far the cellular watch is a $10 bargain if I compare it to other things I spend on in a month but I realize that might not apply to everyone. I have an impossible time escaping notifications, alarms and calls so it's really sweet just leave home with shoes or a bicycle. It's really sweet to have fewer distractions but still maintain my availability for work.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
12.00 in watch
I am with Verizon. It’s 10.00 on the watch. Love my watch.

And also having unlimited data I get Apple Music free on Verizon
Nice savings. But you have to have the go beyond or higher data to get it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travishoang