Can't Download Movie Because iTunes Thinks it's Already Downloaded

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got the "X-Men Experience" at iTunes and I was planning on watching the movies on a airplane next week. In the video app, the movies all show a cloud icon. I don't want to download the HD versions, since they're over 4GB each and the iPhone 5S isn't HD anyway. I went to the iTunes Store like I usually do to download the SD version, but it only has a button for "watch" not the cloud for download. How can I download these movies ahead of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The 5S will actually play the video in HD.

Go into your settings-itunes and app store and set "Videos" to off under the "Show all" category. You'll notice that when you go into the videos app now that the movie won't be listed. Now go to the iTunes store and try to download. Download whichever version you'd like. And remember you can only download movies on the device itself when connected to WiFi.

Even better, in the iTunes store, instead of searching for the movie itself just go straight to your "Purchased" category which you'll find in the "More" tab at the far right on the bottom.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The 5S will actually play the video in HD.

Go into your settings-itunes and app store and set "Videos" to off under the "Show all" category. You'll notice that when you go into the videos app now that the movie won't be listed. Now go to the iTunes store and try to download. Download whichever version you'd like. And remember you can only download movies on the device itself when connected to WiFi.

Even better, in the iTunes store, instead of searching for the movie itself just go straight to your "Purchased" category which you'll find in the "More" tab at the far right on the bottom.

Ok, tried that, but it still only offers "Watch" not the download cloud. In fact, what is interesting is that when I press the "not on this iPhone" tab, many of my movies disappear. It appears that the problem is my iPhone thinks it has about a dozen more movies on it than it actually does. I have no idea what to do about that!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Did you purchase the HD version? That may be why it won't let you download the SD and only gives you the option to watch them. I'm not sure but that could possibly be it

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you purchase the HD version? That may be why it won't let you download the SD and only gives you the option to watch them. I'm not sure but that could possibly be it

Yes, but it allows me to download either to my iPad.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Restart didn't work. I may have to restore from iCloud, but I can't do that at the moment. Too busy.

Okay. I just had the same problem you did. Keep "Show All" for videos set to on. When you tap the "WATCH" it'll take you to the video app and you'll see the cloud icon in the top right corner.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I just had the same problem you did. Keep "Show All" for videos set to on. When you tap the "WATCH" it'll take you to the video app and you'll see the cloud icon in the top right corner.

I got that, but I still can't download the SD version. I'm trying an experiment. I'm downloading the HD version directly from the video app. When it's done, I'll delete it. Then I'll see if iTunes Store will let me download the SD version or if it still says "watch." I'll let you know what happens.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I got that, but I still can't download the SD version. I'm trying an experiment. I'm downloading the HD version directly from the video app. When it's done, I'll delete it. Then I'll see if iTunes Store will let me download the SD version or if it still says "watch." I'll let you know what happens.

Okay. I got it.

Search for the movie instead in the iTunes store. When you find it scroll down to "Information" and you'll see an arrow directing you to tap it. You'll get taken to a screen where at the bottom it says it's also available in SD. You can toggle between SD and HD. Tap that to where it says "Also available in HD", and then download.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay. I got it.

Search for the movie instead in the iTunes store. When you find it scroll down to "Information" and you'll see an arrow directing you to tap it. You'll get taken to a screen where at the bottom it says it's also available in SD. You can toggle between SD and HD. Tap that to where it says "Also available in HD", and then download.

I know, but even when I tap on the SD toggle, I only get the option to "watch" not to download. To see what I mean, look up something in the iTunes Store that is already downloaded to your phone. You'll see "watch" instead of the cloud with an arrow. That's what I'm getting on about a dozen movies that I do not have downloaded to my phone.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, no luck there. I downloaded the HD movie, then deleted it. Nevertheless, I still only get the option to "watch" not download from the iTunes Store. It looks like I can only download it in HD from the video app. Nuisance, but not the end of the world. Thanks for trying...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know, but even when I tap on the SD toggle, I only get the option to "watch" not to download. To see what I mean, look up something in the iTunes Store that is already downloaded to your phone. You'll see "watch" instead of the cloud with an arrow. That's what I'm getting on about a dozen movies that I do not have downloaded to my phone.

When you tap watch it takes you to the movie in the video app and if it hasn't been downloaded to your phone you will see the cloud icon in the top right corner. That's what I was talking about in post #8. Toggle it to SD and then tap watch. Make sure Videos are set to on under the "show all" option in settings - iTunes and app store.

View attachment 59097

Last edited:

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
When you tap watch it takes you to the movie in the video app and if it hasn't been downloaded to your phone you will see the cloud icon in the top right corner.

View attachment 59097

I know, but that downloads the HD version. I usually go to the iTunes Store to download the SD version, since it's less than 1/4 the file size and the iPhone 5S can't display 1080 p anyway. I can't find any other way to download the SD version.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know, but that downloads the HD version. I usually go to the iTunes Store to download the SD version, since it's less than 1/4 the file size and the iPhone 5S can't display 1080 p anyway. I can't find any other way to download the SD version.

Toggle between the two in the iTunes store. I just downloaded the SD version of the movie I showed you in the example. And the 5S plays the video in 720p when you download in HD.

And if the results show up already with a cloud icon just scroll to the bottom and you'll find the toggle there too.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Toggle between the two in the iTunes store. I just downloaded the SD version of the movie I showed you in the example. And the 5S plays the video in 720p when you download in HD.

And if the results show up already with a cloud icon just scroll to the bottom and you'll find the toggle there too.

I toggle between the two in the store, but both versions show "watch" not the cloud.
yhe8yteb.jpg
(HD Toggle)

eze6u8ut.jpg
(SD Toggle)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because when you tap watch it takes you to the video app to download. Look at the last screenshot you quoted of mine. That screen isn't from the iTunes store.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Because when you tap watch it takes you to the video app to download. Look at the last screenshot you quoted of mine. That screen isn't from the iTunes store.

Oh, I know. But if I tap "watch" on the SD version in the store, it takes me to the HD version in the video app. If I tap the cloud. I still get the 3.5 GB version of the movie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh