Can you use Siri without using the remote?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that probably sounds a little odd but what I mean is can you do it the same way you can use a Google Home for example to play things on a chromecast. So like if I had my phone near me can I use the "hey siri" ability to tell her to play something on the Apple TV? I ask because I've added the ATV to my Harmony remote so I don't have to have extra remotes laying around. It's no problem just using the remote for everything but if there's a way to still use voice commands that would be great as well.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of.

That's what I figured. Too bad since you can airplay stuff to it etc. it would be nice if you could use Siri from phones/tablets or even a Homepod to do something like that. Although, I never actually did it very often with the Chromecast and our Google Home either so I guess it's more kind of a novelty thing of "hey look what we can do".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I figured. Too bad since you can airplay stuff to it etc. it would be nice if you could use Siri from phones/tablets or even a Homepod to do something like that. Although, I never actually did it very often with the Chromecast and our Google Home either so I guess it's more kind of a novelty thing of "hey look what we can do".

I’m sure at some point in the very near future, that capability will be available...

Graham Crackers

Jan 6, 2018
Visit site
There is the ability now to create a Siri Shortcut to turn the Apple TV and connected display on through CEC. It works really well. You can also add home scenes to the same shortcut to invoke multiple strings. ITs a start!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
There is the ability now to create a Siri Shortcut to turn the Apple TV and connected display on through CEC. It works really well. You can also add home scenes to the same shortcut to invoke multiple strings. ITs a start!

Nice, I don't use CEC though. I have everything running through my receiver and use a Logitech 950 Harmony remote to turn everything on/etc.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Download the Apple TV remote app to your phone. This will allow you to use your Apple TV Siri. Unfortunately your Phone’s Siri isn’t fully integrated with Siri on your Apple TV, so you will need to use the Apple TV remote app.

I realize the original post is a little old, though I added this reply, in case it may help anyone else reading later.