Can you jailbreak an iphone 4s that is Sprint to use with TMobile?

I

iMore Question

Can you Jailbreak a Sprint Iphone 4s to use with any network?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The 4S can have its sim slot unlocked for international use outside of the USA. If it's a Sprint phone, they can do that - whether they will or not is another story...

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you Jailbreak a Sprint Iphone 4s to use with any network?

I'm not sure if a jailbreak will accomplish this with a Sprint iPhone 4S because of it being a CDMA device. I think you would have to use a SIM interposer to accomplish this but it would still only work for GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile and I believe you would need to be jailbroken as well in order to use a product like this.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Jailbreaking an iphone doesn't mean it is also unlocked. There are so many factors for the 4S your better off getting sprint to unlock your 4S to use it with a different carrier.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreak has nothing to do with this but no, you can not have a sprint iPhone unlocked and used on T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers and they're not compatible with GSM carriers, i.e. T-Mobile & AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Jailbreak has nothing to do with this but no, you can not have a sprint iPhone unlocked and used on T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers and they're not compatible with GSM carriers, i.e. T-Mobile & AT&T.

The CDMA model has GSM support for international use. There was only one 4s model, so it'd be pretty strange if it couldn't support the same bands as the at&t model.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The CDMA model has GSM support for international use. There was only one 4s model, so it'd be pretty strange if it couldn't support the same bands as the at&t model.

I don't recall the CDMA iPhone 4S having a SIM card slot.

chrisahx

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Both the Sprint and Verizon iphone 4S phones (16G, 32G and 64G) most DEFINITELY had a sim card slot! Apple also released the (iPhone 4 8GB model) phone for $99 but that particular 8GB iPhone on Sprint or Verizon DID NOT come with a sim card slot. Maybe thats the phone you're thinking because I am 100% positive that both the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S did have a sim card slot.
I don't recall the CDMA iPhone 4S having a SIM card slot.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Both the Sprint and Verizon iphone 4S phones (16G, 32G and 64G) most DEFINITELY had a sim card slot! Apple also released the (iPhone 4 8GB model) phone for $99 but that particular 8GB iPhone on Sprint or Verizon DID NOT come with a sim card slot. Maybe thats the phone you're thinking because I am 100% positive that both the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S did have a sim card slot.

So why don't all of you explain to me how you can jailbreak a CDMA iPhone and use it on T-Mobile, as OP asks..... And you don't have to cap your words at me, I can read just fine.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So why don't all of you explain to me how you can jailbreak a CDMA iPhone and use it on T-Mobile, as OP asks..... And you don't have to cap your words at me, I can read just fine.

You don't "jailbreak" it in order to use it on TMobile. You UNLOCK it. Two very, very different things.

You cannot, however, jailbreak or unlock a CDMA phone to work on a GSM network. But that's not what the OP asked. The OP asked about the iPhone 4s which is a world phone. And thus, the GSM side can be unlocked. However, as noted in the first response, getting Sprint to unlock it may or may not happen.

Sprint clarifies iPhone 4S unlocking policy | Macworld

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't "jailbreak" it in order to use it on TMobile. You UNLOCK it. Two very, very different things.

You cannot, however, jailbreak or unlock a CDMA phone to work on a GSM network. But that's not what the OP asked. The OP asked about the iPhone 4s which is a world phone. And thus, the GSM side can be unlocked. However, as noted in the first response, getting Sprint to unlock it may or may not happen.

Sprint clarifies iPhone 4S unlocking policy | Macworld

Thank you for clarifying what I originally said. Everyone seemed to want to talk about the sim slot instead of what OP asked. However, OP didn't mention international use at all. They asked about Sprint to T-Mobile USA.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

The OP is trying to learn about a process they don't understand. As such, they used the wrong word. Many associate jailbreaking with unlocking simply because they haven't spent much time doing either.

They would require an unlock. If they could successfully pull this off, the phone would work as desired.

You want to harp on the OP using "jailbreak" instead of "unlock." That's fine. But, your incorrect advice was no worse than their mistake. When it's pointed out the phone isn't purely CDMA, there's no need to throw your attitude. They simply need to seek an unlocking service. Although, they're probably better off selling the phone and buying an unlocked phone or an AT&T locked as unlocking services for AT&T are generally much cheaper.

Why don't you explain to me why throwing a tantrum over the word "jailbreak" is anything approaching productive in this conversation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2