Can we expect an iPhone SE 2 in 2018

DjDrone

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
My dad has been using the original SE now for more than a year. I was wondering if there is a new SE 2 expected to be released anytime in the near future. Was wanting to give him a gift for his birthday next year.

eugarps

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, there really are rumors and they seem to rang from a refresh in February to a full on small phone for the Asian market (And for those of us who really don't like big phones.) to a brand new, small iPhone. The iPhone 8 production is being scaled back, ostensibly in favor of using those manufacturing resources to build more X's. The iPhone 8 is small-ER but but not small enough for dyed-in-the-wool small smartphone aficionados like me. That's why, in February 2016 I bought my current SE, a 5 body with 6s innards. I'd like to see and SE2 or XE with a glass front and back with the 8's innards. So far, I'm seeing a few renderings and speculative specs saying it will sport everything from Qi charging to a dual rear facing camera. Heck, I'd be over-the-moon, if the latter were true. If they need to make the case a couple of millimeters thicker, I'd still be a very happy old man.

DjDrone

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Wonder how a small SE2 version of the iPhone X will look like. I am quite excited at the thought of it. Wonder if there are any renders in the wild.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Wonder how a small SE2 version of the iPhone X will look like. I am quite excited at the thought of it. Wonder if there are any renders in the wild.

I think that’ll be super nice!
X version of SE, X version of 8 (the current X), X version of Plus.

timee80

May 30, 2015
Visit site
It’s the perfect phone in practice. A decent sized screen in a small form factor. I’d buy a seX lol

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I would want one myself even though I'm currently trying out a 8. I haven't heard any rumors so I don't know if this is actually happening at all.

Coffee4ever

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Still very happy with my 64GB model and I don't see me needing to update for another few years. Its still plenty good I think after just one year. I do hope apple keeps it around though since prices keep rising for all their products and I always lived off of their lowest price products. Even the SE was the only reason I could finally afford a iPhone due to the price. I hope apple won't forget us people who can't spend top dollar for all their products.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My dad has been using the original SE now for more than a year. I was wondering if there is a new SE 2 expected to be released anytime in the near future. Was wanting to give him a gift for his birthday next year.

I’ve been torn on this. Love my SE, but I’m currently using an 8, as I like the latest features. I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Program so after a year I’ll know what’s out and if there’s a follow on smaller form phone, would consider. Depends on the feature set.

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I phone SE my first Apple product which Is a year old and has been excellent with amazing battery life and works perfectly, would I buy a SE2 possibly but if Apple keep making the original SE I will buy another one.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so. The best you could do, with an "X" like design is about 4". The 8 is only 4.7" and that seems really constrained next to my X. I think the X design is the smallest you will see after the 2018 releases. in fact, as soon as they can control pricing a little better with the iPhone X (say $750 range) the iPhone 6/7/8 will disappear, with the Plus sizes disappearing shortly thereafter in favor of an X Plus.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

I personally hope we do see a 2nd generation of the iPhone SE. However, i feel if Apple released the same form factor in mid 2019 people wouldn't buy it simply because its the same design and would be considered 'boring'. What i would suggest is taking a page from the iPhone X and making a 4.7" version of the iPhone SE but calling it the iPhone SE Plus. This wouldnt make the phone much bigger and customers can still have that compact design that they love :)

iPhone SE+.jpg

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have my SE as my backup phone and have had it for over a year. I hope that they keep the iconic shape of the 5S and just upgrade the insides . I love the feel in my hands and portability. I am seeing that the battery isn't what it was when it was new, but that is hardly news..and PLEASE keep the headphone jack