5 iPhones
3 iPads
Set up this way

And it works perfect

TeamCrews

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I'm glad I ran across this post.
My wife and I use the same Apple ID for all. Now I see that our contacts are mingled together. I was afraid that I was going to have to do a restore to one or both of our phones.
Now it appears that all I need to do is switch to her phone to her Apple ID under Mail, Contacts & FaceTime. This post was very timely. Thank you!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm glad I ran across this post.
My wife and I use the same Apple ID for all. Now I see that our contacts are mingled together. I was afraid that I was going to have to do a restore to one or both of our phones.
Now it appears that all I need to do is switch to her phone to her Apple ID under Mail, Contacts & FaceTime. This post was very timely. Thank you!

One of you is going to have to add contacts back one at a time thou because if they sync to iCloud once you remove the address they sync too the contacts go too and since the new address won't have any they need to be added

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Peligro911 and all...
Yes, it works very well, it does help to plan things out a bit

My setup is probably more complicated than most...
Master Apple ID = 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini, 4 iPod Touch's, 2 MacBooks, iMac, Mac Mini, iTunes on 1 PC
Each family member uses their own Apple ID for iCloud on their iOS device, some Mac computers have multiple users and each user uses their own Apple ID when logged in to a computer (mostly and shared Mac Mini) for iCloud

I use the most devices and so my own ID is used on an iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, iTouch, Macbook, iMac and Mac Mini, so all of these devices have iCloud data in sync all the time and I can use messaging across devices. To add to this, but works just as well, my wife and I use Google to sync our contacts and calendars (multiple including work) AND I sync and Android phone and tablet to the contacts and calendars. All these devices stay in sync with no extra software and with relatively few problems although I do back up every now and then just in case. The only difficulty can be if I am using my iPad to read and I get an iMessage and I have my phone with me and both are making noises and popping up with messages, then I need to decide which one to use to reply or can switch back and forth as everything gets duplicated on each....

There are a couple good articles I had found online that do a good job of explaining how it works and how to do it if you want some extra guidance, as well as a chart that can be helpful in planning out how to use each Apple ID and so you can remember who is using what and which one.

How to configure iCloud if you share an Apple ID | Macworld

iOS 5 & iCloud Tips: Sharing an Apple ID With Your Family

Attachments

• Family Apple ID.pdf
    488.1 KB · Views: 11

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Peligro911 and all...
Yes, it works very well, it does help to plan things out a bit

My setup is probably more complicated than most...
Master Apple ID = 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 iPad Mini, 4 iPod Touch's, 2 MacBooks, iMac, Mac Mini, iTunes on 1 PC
Each family member uses their own Apple ID for iCloud on their iOS device, some Mac computers have multiple users and each user uses their own Apple ID when logged in to a computer (mostly and shared Mac Mini) for iCloud

I use the most devices and so my own ID is used on an iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, iTouch, Macbook, iMac and Mac Mini, so all of these devices have iCloud data in sync all the time and I can use messaging across devices. To add to this, but works just as well, my wife and I use Google to sync our contacts and calendars (multiple including work) AND I sync and Android phone and tablet to the contacts and calendars. All these devices stay in sync with no extra software and with relatively few problems although I do back up every now and then just in case. The only difficulty can be if I am using my iPad to read and I get an iMessage and I have my phone with me and both are making noises and popping up with messages, then I need to decide which one to use to reply or can switch back and forth as everything gets duplicated on each....

There are a couple good articles I had found online that do a good job of explaining how it works and how to do it if you want some extra guidance, as well as a chart that can be helpful in planning out how to use each Apple ID and so you can remember who is using what and which one.

How to configure iCloud if you share an Apple ID | Macworld

iOS 5 & iCloud Tips: Sharing an Apple ID With Your Family

Looks like you got it solid ... iMessage does duplicate so you can go from device to device ... I guess simplest thing to remember is just use one apple I'd to handle purchases and iTunes and have separate apple I'd for other people device unless its yours and your I'd is the master purchase I'd

TeamCrews

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Depending on how many contacts there are, the acct with the contacts could share the contacts via iMessage or email. Them all you have to do is click in the vCard that is sent and flow the prompt to add the contact.

Isn't there an App to transfer contact info? I think there was Bump to transfer my own contact info.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
mrnserv & Peligro911, thanks! iPhone 5 is my first apple product, but I want to expand with an iPad/Mini and MacBook as some point. Great info to know!
I was setting up my sister's kids iPod touches so that their iMessage and Facetime would be separate but still use the same iTunes store login as hers. now I know what I need to adjust so its done properly like you guys stated.

Just to be clear, in settings under messages & facetime, that's where I use my own personal apple ID? And then under "iTunes & App Store", that's where I login with the shared Apple ID?
Think I got it now!

If you set the phone up the first time(when you first power it on and first log in with an Apple ID) with the individual ID(user A)and not the shared ID(family ID for purchases), then FaceTime, Game Center, iMessage, etc will all be attached to user A's ID. When you log into iTunes for the first time you log in with the group account. That is it and the device will be set up and remember the separate ID's.

Sent from my iPhone 5

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am using three different Apple ID's for my phone and my 2 kids ipods. The reason being, when I was using only one and would connect to itunes manually the phone or ipod would start downloading my sons apps to my phone. Any way around that because I'd love to only have one ID but don't want my kids apps?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am using three different Apple ID's for my phone and my 2 kids ipods. The reason being, when I was using only one and would connect to itunes manually the phone or ipod would start downloading my sons apps to my phone. Any way around that because I'd love to only have one ID but don't want my kids apps?

Turn off app syncing in iTunes for your iphone

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just be aware that when you share your Apple ID for iTunes your kids and others will be able to buy apps and media using your account if you do not restrict that through parental restrictions. For us that is fine with younger kids we can control what they buy and how much they spend. Older kids may not like that, or may decide they want their own account, which in my situation, when they decide that, they will have to pay for their own apps and media.

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have 3 IDs. one we share and one each we don't share. The one we share is mainly so we don't have to pay twice for apps we both like.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR