can the wife and I both use the same apple ID

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are getting our iphones tomorrow and I am getting her a iPad mini for Christmas. My question is can she and I both use the same apple ID on our devices? If so what are the pros and cons and using the same or having separate ID's?

Thanks

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can use the same one although I'd recommend that you have two or three.

Use a shared id for iTunes and AppStore purchases. Also use the shared one for Find My iPhone.

Then use separate ones for mail, iMessages, and FaceTime.

That's what I do also shared for iTunes purchases but a different one for each other person unless it a second device that's someone's like a iPad ..
This way everything is separate and you can still only pay for a app once or a movie once and use it on any device

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is really easy. Every person has their own Apple ID to set up the phone. This will attach FaceTime, iMessage, etc to the one user and one phone number. Then in the iTunes Store log out and log into the store only with the shared Apple ID. This way you only pay for everything once and it can be used on all of your families Apple devices. And each user has their own ID so if they have an iPad also it is easy to set up for FaceTime, iMessage, etc.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
On the iPhone iMessage works via your phone #
On other devices it works via apple ID/email address

On iPhones it can work with both and now with iOS 6 other devices actually can receive messages to your phone number also

Like my iPad gets all my messages that go to my number and my email

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Use 1 Apple ID for iTunes purchases of Apps, Music, Movies, etc. and have each family member have a separate Apple ID for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage, etc. That way you can share app and media purchases without buying the same items more than once and you can each have own identity and backups, etc. for your own devices.

We have probably 8 iOS devices plus a couple Apple TVs that use the same Apple ID for iTunes but each family member has a unique Apple ID used for iCloud. So for example, I use SHARED_APPLE_ID on my iPhone, my iPad, my iPod and on a Mac in iTunes to make purchases and share music, my family members use the same on their devices as well for music and apps. THen I use MY_APPLE_ID on each my own iOS device to be able to use FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud. So I can access the same iMessage account on my phone, iPad and Mac for myself and family members have their own. If I lose or replace a device I can easily restore it with my unique Apple ID and so could any family member, but I am not paying 4 times for the same app we are all using, only paying once.

The only downside is we all share playlists, but you can simply name them for each member or use a unique name or number for each family member to keep playlists separate and individual on each device and just sync the selected playlist for each person to their device.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my wife and I use the same apple ID, so its not an issue. The one thing I would suggest is using the same ID for things like iTunes and App Store and separate accounts for iCloud so that your iMessages dont conflict with each other. For example, my wife and I shared the same account for both. I was using my iPad one day to iMessage a friend of mine because the battery in my phone had died. All of a sudden, all of our iMessages were showing up on my wifes phone. Not that I have anything to hide, but it was just an inconvenience. All you have to do is go under settings and enter the corresponding accounts to each section. (i.e. settings->iTunes & app store=enter joint ID / settings->iCloud=enter separate ID. Also add your separate iCloud account to your "receive at" address for your iMessage account in settings.) Hope this helps!

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Use 1 Apple ID for iTunes purchases of Apps, Music, Movies, etc. and have each family member have a separate Apple ID for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage, etc. That way you can share app and media purchases without buying the same items more than once and you can each have own identity and backups, etc. for your own devices.

We have probably 8 iOS devices plus a couple Apple TVs that use the same Apple ID for iTunes but each family member has a unique Apple ID used for iCloud. So for example, I use SHARED_APPLE_ID on my iPhone, my iPad, my iPod and on a Mac in iTunes to make purchases and share music, my family members use the same on their devices as well for music and apps. THen I use MY_APPLE_ID on each my own iOS device to be able to use FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud. So I can access the same iMessage account on my phone, iPad and Mac for myself and family members have their own. If I lose or replace a device I can easily restore it with my unique Apple ID and so could any family member, but I am not paying 4 times for the same app we are all using, only paying once.

The only downside is we all share playlists, but you can simply name them for each member or use a unique name or number for each family member to keep playlists separate and individual on each device and just sync the selected playlist for each person to their device.

Wow I never knew this, great info. just to be clear, you cannot be logged into SHARED_APPLE_ID & MY_APPLE_ID at the same time? So if another family member tells you they bought a song/game/movie, you have to logout of MY and login with SHARED to obtain that purchase?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow I never knew this, great info. just to be clear, you cannot be logged into SHARED_APPLE_ID & MY_APPLE_ID at the same time? So if another family member tells you they bought a song/game/movie, you have to logout of MY and login with SHARED to obtain that purchase?

No both use shared and stay logged in all the time put just under iTunes Store on the device

If the shared is actually your I'd then that can be completely yours

On let's say wife's device
Use the shared I'd in iTunes Store but on iCloud or everything else use her own

Ie

My phone

Robert@email.com is my I'd for icloud and is also the I'd I use for purchases

Wife phone

Robert@email.com is only signed in under iTunes Store in settings

iCloud iMessage FaceTime etc use her I'd
Wife@email.com

You never have to log out or in

mrnserv

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you can both be logged in to shared iTunes and logged in to separate iCloud/Apple IDs these are used in different places. My wife and I are and kids are too, just that they are not allowed to purchase due to restrictions I put on them. You can even be logged into multiple devices with same iCloud account at same time. I use the same iCloud account on my iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook and iMac. Can get and respond to iMessage from any of these devices, can access documents from any and can share other iCloud data. Everything stays in sync from device to device, that's the beauty of the iCloud ID. By using the same iCloud ID I can be using iMessage on my iPhone to my wife on the computer at home and she is using iMessage on the computer, I can arrive at work and continue iMessage on MacBook, she can leave home and use iPhone to message me and I can go to lunch and use my iPhone to message her on her iPhone and then come back home and use my iPad to continue our iMessage conversation. It follows me with my Apple ID. You get the idea. And my music and apps are on my devices using the shared Apple ID I use for iTunes. I could use this as my own Apple ID for iCloud too but the separate shared ID keeps things more separate and I get a separate photo stream, etc of my own.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
mrnserv & Peligro911, thanks! iPhone 5 is my first apple product, but I want to expand with an iPad/Mini and MacBook as some point. Great info to know!
I was setting up my sister's kids iPod touches so that their iMessage and Facetime would be separate but still use the same iTunes store login as hers. now I know what I need to adjust so its done properly like you guys stated.

Just to be clear, in settings under messages & facetime, that's where I use my own personal apple ID? And then under "iTunes & App Store", that's where I login with the shared Apple ID?
Think I got it now!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
mrnserv & Peligro911, thanks! iPhone 5 is my first apple product, but I want to expand with an iPad/Mini and MacBook as some point. Great info to know!
I was setting up my sister's kids iPod touches so that their iMessage and Facetime would be separate but still use the same iTunes store login as hers. now I know what I need to adjust so its done properly like you guys stated.

Just to be clear, in settings under messages & facetime, that's where I use my own personal apple ID? And then under "iTunes & App Store", that's where I login with the shared Apple ID?
Think I got it now!

Yup you got it

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal