Can the iPhone play .mkv videos?

I

iMore Question

is iphone has the video capability of playing mkv video formats

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I know yes, but I've only tried through Safari though. I think it's only on the iPhone 4S & up also.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
is iphone has the video capability of playing mkv video formats

If you use the VLC player app, you should be able to. Playback may not be as smooth as normal because of third party video player app not getting the same access as the native one. There are also other video player apps that will allow you to play your mkv files

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
VLC app will...the iPhone will not natively.

Mine does
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398263642.382610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My 5S plays mkv files natively with safari

You're streaming an mkv file...as far as I know, there isn't much that Safari WON'T stream in that regard.

I was referencing an actual file type on the phone, which the iPhone will not play natively without an app that supports such file types.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You're streaming an mkv file...as far as I know, there isn't much that Safari WON'T stream in that regard.

I was referencing an actual file type on the phone, which the iPhone will not play natively without an app that supports such file types.

So I can stream and airplay mkv videos through safari on the iPhone but I can not play back the file itself on the device without using an app from the App Store...