Can I use at&t iphone 4s on Verizon?

jfio91

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My friend has an upgrade and won't use it. So if i use his upgrade on at&t for a verizon iphone 4s can I unlock it or use it for Verizon???!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
From everything I understand, the US carriers will not allow something like that to happen - and will only allow the "other side" of the phone to unlock for international use only - so an AT&T phone can not be unlocked to work on a US CDMA carrier.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things -

An AT&T iPhone doesn't have CDMA which is what it would need to even work on Verizon. Also, Verizon will not activate any device that is not specifically for Verizon. So even if you had a Sprint iPhone with CDMA, Verizon still would not allow it.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things -

An AT&T iPhone doesn't have CDMA which is what it would need to even work on Verizon. Also, Verizon will not activate any device that is not specifically for Verizon. So even if you had a Sprint iPhone with CDMA, Verizon still would not allow it.

The 4S is dual CDMA/GSM. It's the first iPhone of it's kind, everyone is using the same model. Theoretically it could work, the carriers just won't allow it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
On the inside, all the parts are there... my guess is there's some bits of carrier specific software that has to be present to turn on or off certain parts, enabling or disabling functionality.

Speedriff1

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
If you bought the phone outright you can use it on whatever carrier you like. If you got it subsidized then no, you can't. And by that I mean if you paid $750 for it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you bought the phone outright you can use it on whatever carrier you like. If you got it subsidized then no, you can't. And by that I mean if you paid $750 for it.

I think even if you bought it out right (unlocked) Verizon and or sprint won't activate the esn on there network but the gsm part would work for anything

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Unlocked iPhone 4S's from Apple can only be used on GSM carriers. The CDMA radio is only "on" for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

I think the only way to get a true unlocked one would be if you got a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S and jailbroke/unlocked it to use on any GSM carrier. If that is possible.

Edit - Not sure what the guy is talking about in the story linked above. It says right on Apple's website that the unlocked iPhone 4S will not work on a CDMA network. And paying full price for a phone from any carrier (in the US) has never meant you were getting an unlocked one; just that you don't have to sign a contract.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked iPhone 4S's from Apple can only be used on GSM carriers. The CDMA radio is only "on" for CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

I think the only way to get a true unlocked one would be if you got a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S and jailbroke/unlocked it to use on any GSM carrier. If that is possible.

Edit - Not sure what the guy is talking about in the story linked above. It says right on Apple's website that the unlocked iPhone 4S will not work on a CDMA network. And paying full price for a phone from any carrier (in the US) has never meant you were getting an unlocked one; just that you don't have to sign a contract.

I have to agree with Sting as it DOES say right on Apple's website... If you buy an unlocked phone from Aplle it is GSM only and all other 4S phones are carrier specific unlocked-jailbroken or not, they can only be used on the carrier from where you bought it.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It's really a shame that there isn't some type of unlocking mechanism for when you have completed your obligation. Would be nice to take your phone to the carrier of your choice.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The 4S is dual CDMA/GSM. It's the first iPhone of it's kind, everyone is using the same model. Theoretically it could work, the carriers just won't allow it.

It's got a dual radio in it for overseas travel. It'll work on a GSM carrier in Europe for instance but it won't work on American GSM carriers. My Storm2 was dual GSM/CDMA and could only be unlocked to work on foreign GSM carriers.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It's got a dual radio in it for overseas travel. It'll work on a GSM carrier in Europe for instance but it won't work on American GSM carriers. My Storm2 was dual GSM/CDMA and could only be unlocked to work on foreign GSM carriers.

Your right about the iPhone but wrong about the BlackBerry, I had a Storm and Storm 2 and I unlocked them both and used them on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox