Can I use a universal remote with the Apple TV?

I

iMore Question

I have lost my Apple TV remote, my daughter did actually, and before I go buy one, can I use a Universal remote on it?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the remote but I have seen people use Harmony remotes. You can get the previous version remote at the Apple Store for $20. No Siri and no swipe but you can use the d-pad. I just picked one up for "public use" as I'm worried the kids will lose/break the Siri controller. That will be for the parents :)

oldmantick

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
We used to use a Harmony Remote but we got the Harmony Hub to replace the Harmony Remote my daughter broke.
Awesome move as it has a smartphone app so everyone's smartphone is now a remote for Everything.
We have an ATV3 which it connects via our network but it's also using the IR Blaster function to control stereo TV etc.
So I can control the stereo volume from the kitchen.

The only challenge is depending on the device sometimes the function you want is several pages in, like the volume control on my Onkyo receiver. I have to confess once I got it working (easy online interface) I haven't touched it and it does provide custom 'Activities' which would bring my stereo volume to the first page so that's my fault.

I got a bundle with a keyboard as I thought that would be useful with the ATV but the smartphone app is so handy I haven't touched it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I still use harmony remote. Haven't touched the Siri remote. Might put it in a drawer and forget about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MannyVelez1