Can I restore to iOS 5 after jailbreak?

Tomtom111

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Unlocking and restoring aren't the same thing. You can get the old ipsw files for free on iclarified. This has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is related to apple signing the restore, which they won't do. Downgrading requires shsh blobs specific to your device and the iOS version. These must be acquired while apple was still signing restores of that specific iOS version. Additionally, the restoring software requires a hack of sorts to get the phone to respond to the shsh blobs. This doesn't exist for the 4s while downgrading from ios6, at least to this point.

The answer remains no. Jailbreaking is irrelevant to the question.

This has been by far the most helpful post. Thanks for explaining that, I think I'll keep away from jail breaking for now just incase anything goes wrong and I need to updating to sort the problems out, risking wifi problems.

BTW, do you know whether Apple have sorted out the wifi bugs?

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, if you restore your jailbroken phone via iTunes, you will lose your jailbreak and be updated to the latest iOS version.

Quick question noob here is there any other way to restore your phone. I traded my note 2 for iPhone 5 and he had it jailbrpken but in order to get the phone with my contacts and delete all his stuff I had to restore through iTunes which updated me to 6.1.3 but I did do a backup before so I could go back if there is another way thanks!!!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Quick question noob here is there any other way to restore your phone. I traded my note 2 for iPhone 5 and he had it jailbrpken but in order to get the phone with my contacts and delete all his stuff I had to restore through iTunes which updated me to 6.1.3 but I did do a backup before so I could go back if there is another way thanks!!!

This answer will also apply to the OP of the thread. When a new iOS is released Apple will still keep signing the old iOS for a short while afterwards. When you are restoring the iOS iTunes checks with Apple if the device is allowed to restore the iOS (signing). So in the OP's case he went from 5.1.1 to 6.0 didn't like it and used the Option+Restore method to put 5.1.1 back on luckily Apple was still signing 5.1.1. Once Apple stops signing the iOS version the only way you can restore to it is by using SHSH blobs and by pointing to the blobs instead of Apple's servers. So born2ride41 in your case unless your blobs were saved for 6.1.2 or whatever version of iOS was on the device no you can't go back. Now it probably was if the device was Jailbroken when you got it but the only way you will find out is to look up the process of downgrading and pointing to the Cydia servers for the blobs. Then you would download iOS 6, 6.1 or 6.1.2 put the device into DFU mode and do an Option+Restore(Mac)/ Shift+Restore(Windows) and point to the IPSW you downloaded. If the blobs exist your phone will be restored and you can Jailbreak it but there may be other errors that pop up etc. IMO it's not worth the headache just wait until a JB is available for 6.1.3 or iOS 7 I know it might seem like a long time but most iPhone 5 users waited for months for a JB.

born2ride41

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This answer will also apply to the OP of the thread. When a new iOS is released Apple will still keep signing the old iOS for a short while afterwards. When you are restoring the iOS iTunes checks with Apple if the device is allowed to restore the iOS (signing). So in the OP's case he went from 5.1.1 to 6.0 didn't like it and used the Option+Restore method to put 5.1.1 back on luckily Apple was still signing 5.1.1. Once Apple stops signing the iOS version the only way you can restore to it is by using SHSH blobs and by pointing to the blobs instead of Apple's servers. So born2ride41 in your case unless your blobs were saved for 6.1.2 or whatever version of iOS was on the device no you can't go back. Now it probably was if the device was Jailbroken when you got it but the only way you will find out is to look up the process of downgrading and pointing to the Cydia servers for the blobs. Then you would download iOS 6, 6.1 or 6.1.2 put the device into DFU mode and do an Option+Restore(Mac)/ Shift+Restore(Windows) and point to the IPSW you downloaded. If the blobs exist your phone will be restored and you can Jailbreak it but there may be other errors that pop up etc. IMO it's not worth the headache just wait until a JB is available for 6.1.3 or iOS 7 I know it might seem like a long time but most iPhone 5 users waited for months for a JB.

Ok fair enough sounds like I will wait because it don't sound like its worth the headache either lol thanks...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4