Can I restore an iPhone X backup to an iPhone 7?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I had a 7p, and bought a X.

I restored my X from the last backup of that 7p.

I now want to activate that 7p as a second att line.

Can I plug the 7p to iTunes, find the most recent X backup, and ‘restore from backup’ the X library to the 7p, so I have two phones with identical content?

If so, how do I do it? I assume if I plug in the 7p, iTunes will recognize it and load the last library; but of course I want to find the most recent X library.

Can someone tell me how to do this if possible?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Not so weird question...

Just restore against your latest X backup then go to Settings—>General—>About and rename your 7p something different...unless I’ve missed something.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Not so weird question...

Do you have a backup of your 7P on iCloud?

If you do, then restore your 7+ and then use the 7+ backup.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Not so weird question...

I have a 7 Plus and X and I restored my 7 Plus to my X now both are identical. So whatever latest backup you have even if it's from the X it can be restored to another device.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all.
I goofed up. I returned my 7p.
The one I’d like to restore to my X library is my friend’s 7p. Should I try it as is? Or should I erase all content and settings and restore from backup after that?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all.
The one I’d like to restore to my X library is my friend’s 7p. Should I try it as is? Or should I erase all content and settings and restore from backup after that?

I don't advise doing that. Your friend would have to share your Apple ID and log in to your iCloud. That can cause several issues, like he might can see your text messages and you would share the same free 5 gb of iCloud storage. And your friend could make purchases in iTunes that you might have to pay for. What is the purpose of him having your back up?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all.

Don’t do that. So many things could go wrong doing that. Why not just use one of your backups or set up as new?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. I never saw the last two quotes before going for it. My friend’s 7p is a spare she gave to me.

So I erased all content and settings, tapped restore from iTunes after it rebooted, and restored the X backup. All ok, but apps stuck in ‘waiting’. I tapped them all and changed them to ‘loading’. Still stuck. Tapped them all and changed them to ‘paused’. Then tapped one to ‘loading’ but no progress. I rebooted the phone, then reset network settings, and repeated the above but even one app alone won’t load. I went to the App Store for that app and tapped the cloud and it just removed it from my home screen and dropped it as new on the second page and still says waiting.

This happened when I restored my 7p when I first got it and my X, but pausing all and resuming allowed them to load.

I’ve seen the topic discussed here and Apple and other fora, but no solutions.

Any suggestions?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry. I never saw the last two quotes before going for it. My friend’s 7p is a spare she gave to me.

So I erased all content and settings, tapped restore from iTunes after it rebooted, and restored the X backup. All ok, but apps stuck in ‘waiting’. I tapped them all and changed them to ‘loading’. Still stuck. Tapped them all and changed them to ‘paused’. Then tapped one to ‘loading’ but no progress. I rebooted the phone, then reset network settings, and repeated the above but even one app alone won’t load. I went to the App Store for that app and tapped the cloud and it just removed it from my home screen and dropped it as new on the second page and still says waiting.

This happened when I restored my 7p when I first got it and my X, but pausing all and resuming allowed them to load.

I’ve seen the topic discussed here and Apple and other fora, but no solutions.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue with the apps. If it says loading they will load but it’ll take a minute. The process is going to be slow. When I activated my knew 8plus everything restored perfectly but the downloading of apps took forever. I basically just left my iPhone on the charger for a few hours until it downloaded.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with the apps. If it says loading they will load but it’ll take a minute. The process is going to be slow. When I activated my knew 8plus everything restored perfectly but the downloading of apps took forever. I basically just left my iPhone on the charger for a few hours until it downloaded.

Thanks. I thought that at first but it’s been over night with all paused but one and that one didn’t load.

So I tried again connecting to iTunes, connecting the laptop and the 7p to WiFi, and opened the phone and they were all there with only a few loading. I think they were on the phone but the location of them on my phone in the cloud wasn’t verifying for some reason. Because they all appeared to quickly to have actually downloaded. I’ve heard that in another thread for this topic. Who knows.