Can I get virus/malware from connecting to unsecured Wi-Fi

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had to connect to a major hospital's public Wi-Fi to send updates on my brother's surgery today (absolutely no cell signal). All I accessed was email and text messages. Is there a chance that my iPhone Xs Max would get infected with malware/virus?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had to connect to a major hospital's public Wi-Fi to send updates on my brother's surgery today (absolutely no cell signal). All I accessed was email and text messages. Is there a chance that my iPhone Xs Max would get infected with malware/virus?

Thanks!

Anything’s possible, but probably unlikely under the circumstances you mentioned. Still, I will always recommend using a reputable VPN service when connecting to an unsecured Wi-Fi network.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have any suggestions on a VPN service?

Currently, I use NordVPN and I like it a lot, but I’ve also used OpenVPN as well as VPN Unlimited and found them to be just as reliable and therefore, I would recommend any of those three.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I currently use OpenVPN to connect back to my Ubiquity router at home. Works great, keeps me secure, let's me access my file server and doesn't cost a dime to use.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Private Tunnel based on OpenVPN is a good option for someone who's not too technical and wants the advantages or reasons some like OpenVPN.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Private Tunnel based on OpenVPN is a good option for someone who's not too technical and wants the advantages or reasons some like OpenVPN.

Agreed. I’ve also used Private Tunnel in the past and found it to be good also.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm running Norton 360 on my iMac and MacBook Pros and found out that it includes Secure VPN and now have downloaded to my iPhones.

Anyone have any experience with Secure VPN? Seems easy and straight forward.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW