• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Can I delete photos from my iPad without deleting them from my iPhone?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tend to use my phone more than my iPad. I have a lot of pictures on my phone. I don’t want them on my iPad. Is there a way to delete pictures without them being deleted from your phone? Do I have to sign out of my iCloud account on my iPad to do that or is there a workaround?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Disable iCloud photos on your iPad and remove them, but know that if you enable that option, the photos in iCloud will sync to your iPad.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have never used iCloud for photos and my iPad and iPhone photo libraries are completely discrete, but I don’t take many photos and tend to delete them when their purpose is done,so this might not suit most people.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never used iCloud for photos and my iPad and iPhone photo libraries are completely discrete, but I don’t take many photos and tend to delete them when their purpose is done,so this might not suit most people.

Like you, I don’t take or maintain a lot of photos and videos on my devices. After a while, I’ll offload then to OneDrive and my external hard drive and then delete them from iCloud. The few that remain on my iPhone are of my kids and grandson for the most part.

haleszarz

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Yes, it is possible. You need to delete the photos directly from the gallery of your iPad, not from the iCloud account. I have made such a mistake with my wedding photos. I used some wedding photo retouching services, and I wanted to delete the old photos that weren't edited from my iPad. I accidentally deleted the photos from my iCloud account directly, and I lost them. It was unfortunate, but at least I had the newly edited photos. This was like a lesson to me, so now I am more attentive when deleting important photos on my devices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman