Can 16GB of storage really cut it in today's smartphone world?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's terrible for me, cause I have to spend more money because the base SKU is still stuck in 2011 storage-wise. How is having to spend more money not a terrible thing?

Like I said, it's great for Apple, and horrible for us. All of us.

I'm not sure how any other logical person could disagree.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

It's not horrible for me, it's irrelevant for me because I won't be using the 32GB model just like I didn't use the 16GB model. I disagree with you that it's a terrible thing because it's not a terrible thing...it's simply a business move that doesn't really hurt or help the consumer because nobody is FORCED to buy the device.

A logical person can present what I just said towards your rant and say that you're simply taking Apple's business decisions personally, and applying overly dramatic words to them like "terrible". Businesses aren't here to make everything fair for the consumer, nor are they out there to make sure your money is stretched as far as it possibly can go relevant to what you're buying...no, they are trying to make a profit, and Apple did that in spades with the 16GB model, just like they will with the 32GB model (only a little lesser now because it'll cost them more to produce it by comparison).

James See

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Think it goes both ways. Countless times I am helping out a family member who has the lower storage size and they didn't they would use all the space at first, but then wham...

But I have also seen some who have never downloaded a single thing nor use it for pictures. etc......

I agree with this:D

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on how you use your smartphone.

My 5S (16GB) is a work device. I have mostly work related apps on it, and any pictures I take are downloaded to the work server and deleted off the phone every few days. For how I use it, 16GB enough.

My personal Nexus 5 (32GB) and Z10 (16GB + 16GB micro SD) are both running near capacity. I run more apps, a few games, and keep more media on device. 16GB wouldn't be near enough in this case.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I could not manage with 16G because I keep my music and movies locally and take a million pictures.
Even of an adorable golden retriever puppy waiting for puppy class.
b55f986404e3d8da342d0e800112858d.jpg

Or riding in the car.
a22a12b226f5761fceedbbb0331d216e.jpg

Or looking at the next door cat.
6987a7079d8fd2fe7ccf9ae05c5e3876.jpg

Silly illustration of why it wouldn't work for me. I take a bizillion pictures. I also keep the Downton Abbey seasons on my device to watch on the train. Or whatever new movie I buy. I don't stream because I want to watch these while underground. Or listen to music underground.

So no it wouldn't work for me. But obviously he strategy is working for Apple.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Nicholas1986

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
At the moment I'm using an Android phone with 16 GB storage space. The storage space that I can use is not more than 14 GB. A couple of days ago after sightseeing on the beach and seashore, I took nearly 400 photos there. I installed 120+ apps in my phone in total and last night I downloaded some YouTube videos, it only has 7 GB space now. Well, not to mention that I just downloaded two songs in my phone from the beginning, so 16 GB is not enough for many many many people.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
16 GB is useless, for me. My work and personal lives take a lot of room, lol. Also I hate to stress over something as mundane as storage so I always get the maximum I can get, period. So is my 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus a luxury?
... You bet, it is. And I'm totally worth it, ha!
Could I get by with 32 or 64?
32 doubtful, 64 probably. But I'd be stressing over storage and I don't like to do that.
It's just a matter of where you want to spend your money:
I don't give a fig about dining out, my favorite way to travel is camping or backpacking, my car was bought used with a million miles and paid for cash and I have zero interest in designer clothing or jewelry. My house is the size of a shoebox.
But my phone and tablet are where I will splurge shamelessly.
I love the ease and convenience.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
16 GB is useless, for me. My work and personal lives take a lot of room, lol. Also I hate to stress over something as mundane as storage so I always get the maximum I can get, period. So is my 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus a luxury?
... You bet, it is. And I'm totally worth it, ha!
Could I get by with 32 or 64?
32 doubtful, 64 probably. But I'd be stressing over storage and I don't like to do that.
It's just a matter of where you want to spend your money:
I don't give a fig about dining out, my favorite way to travel is camping or backpacking, my car was bought used with a million miles and paid for cash and I have zero interest in designer clothing or jewelry. My house is the size of a shoebox.
But my phone and tablet are where I will splurge shamelessly.
I love the ease and convenience.

I think we might be related!!!. Although I do eat out A LOT.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I think we might be related!!!. Although I do eat out A LOT.

Husband and I just love to cook together, so we have a lot more fun goofing around at home preparing meals than having to behave like adults in restaurants, lol.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have 6 GB left out of the 12 GB or so that came with the 16 GB iPhone 6.
Similar here, I have 7 GB left on my 16 GB iPhone 6. Not too many songs though. 500 photos. Couple games.

But... Only after doing a Reset and Restore. Before the Reset I had only 18% free space. After the Reset and Restore it went up to about 58% free. Not sure why such a huge difference.

codyoehl

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I personally really liked the iPhone 6, but I must say the lack of storage was a huge drawback
I have music, photos, games, videos, and all sorts of things
And I personally don't like apple icloud, it seems like a good idea and while it worked, it was more like a half solution for the lack of storage
If the new iPhone 6s has 16 GB base storage, I will not get it
I am not dishing out an extra $100 on top of a $650 phone to get an extra bit of storage that costs apple like $7 or something

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro