Camera opinion on 6s

Leslie Hatcher

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Before I go and buy the 6s, I need opinions on the 6s camera quality. I am not a fanboy(girl) of any OS or phone maker, but I know hands down, my galaxy s6 blows my iPhone 6 out of the water, with picture quality. The camera is one of the most important features on a phone for me.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
The 6s and 6s Plus have best in class cameras (the 6s Plus slightly better with the addition of OIS), and I cannot imagine anyone other than maybe a true professional photographer being disappointed in any way with the picture quality from either of these smartphones.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
From personal experience, my 6s takes better video than all my Samsung Notes (I haven't owned the Note 5)
All the new Samsung's take better pictures and they are in 16x9.
A few downsides of the iPhones, they only shoot still shots in 4x3 ratio and no stereo sound when recording video.
Anyhow, my opinion and experience, Samsung's for still shots and iPhone 6s for video.
Cheers
Davyo

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't comment on how the 6S compares with the GS6 that you currently have, but I'm not disappointed in the 6S camera quality at all. It takes great photos in most every situation except low light, and even there it is passable (most every phone struggles in low light anyway). I'm also very satisfied of the video quality, although I don't really use that much.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in again since I just noticed that the OP Leslie already owns a Galaxy S6.
While the 6s camera for still shots is a big improvement over the 6, in my side by side comparisons of my 6s vs the S6 and Note 5, I would say just stick with your Galaxy S6 for still shots.
Yes, my 6s takes really good pictures but for pictures only, not video, the S6 is the better camera all around.
Cheers
Davyo

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll chime in again since I just noticed that the OP Leslie already owns a Galaxy S6.
While the 6s camera for still shots is a big improvement over the 6, in my side by side comparisons of my 6s vs the S6 and Note 5, I would say just stick with your Galaxy S6 for still shots.
Yes, my 6s takes really good pictures but for pictures only, not video, the S6 is the better camera all around.
Cheers
Davyo

I have my 6s Plus set to 1080p @ 60fps and the video quality is ridiculously good.

rendermario

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'am pretty sure iphone camera is the best, it's not about how many megapixels it has, it's about quality and the iphone got that. And the video... Slow mo is incredible

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'am pretty sure iphone camera is the best, it's not about how many megapixels it has, it's about quality and the iphone got that. And the video... Slow mo is incredible

I don't look at megapixel count at all, they are meaningless.

But just about every YouTube hands on review would disagree with your "pretty sure the iPhone is the better camera" opinion.

In my side by side hands on testing of my iPhone 6s vs the Galaxy S6 and Note 5 the Samsung's were the clear winner for still shots, but the video from my iPhone 6s beat the Samsung's, and Yes, the slo-mo is also way way better on the 6s than the Samsung's, the Samsung's slo-mo video is not so good.

For still shots only though, the Samsung's win for best camera and image quality, the iPhone 6s doesn't take bad pictures at all, just don't ever compare the still shots from the Samsung's to the 6s, you will be a bit disappointed with the 6s if you do so.

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited:

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I am very happy with the results of the camera on the 6S. I don't really use the live picture feature but perfectly satisfied with everything else.

Sorry wrong picture was attached. This picture is terrible.

Attachments

• 2015-11-04 01.20.16.png
    2015-11-04 01.20.16.png
    704.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Leslie Hatcher

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I really don't use much video, just for the fact that I am too hyper to sit still and video! Lol! I am really struggling to decide one way or the other, because I am so tired of using 2 different phones. I am just looking for my perfect phone and trying to be educated in my decision.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Most better smartphone cameras work fine these days. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The 6s and 6s Plus make great photos for a phone.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
There is no perfect smartphone. If there was I'd have an iPhone 6s with the battery life of the 6 Plus, a Nokia Lumia 1520 camera and the customisation options of Android. Perfect for me anyway

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well an update to my comments on this thread.

I went to a concert Saturday night with friends at a big venue, great stage lighting with the venue pretty well lit,,, I was taking some pictures with my 6S while one of my friends was taking pictures with his S6 Edge, same lighting with both of our phones in Auto camera mode.

When we compared pictures the difference was night and day and not in favor of my iPhone 6s, with my friends S6 the pictures were simply amazing, with my 6s all my pictures had a thin smoke like haze and the picture quality was actually embarrassing.

Anyhow, because of that experience, yesterday I traded in my iPhone 6s and got the Note 5 (same camera as the S6),,,, I will miss the tad bit better video quality of the 6s and definitely miss the awesome Slo Mo of the 6s but for me the still picture quality is what is most important so I'm back to rockin a Samsung Note,,, next year I'll check out the iPhone 7 and see if they caught up to Samsung yet.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Funny, but I'll still be around, I own and love my iPad Air 2, my iPad mini and I'll be purchasing the iPad pro sometime this month.

When it comes to tablets the iPad rules, Android tablets are not so good, I have 2 Galaxy Tablets and they pretty much sit around my house collecting dust.

For phones though, the Note 5 rules.

I'm not a fanboy of just one platform, I judge and use whichever device I feel is the best device, be it Android or iOS.

But I honestly did have a good laugh over your "11 months of peace" comment, very very funny, thank you for the chuckle ;)

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited by a moderator:

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Before I go and buy the 6s, I need opinions on the 6s camera quality. I am not a fanboy(girl) of any OS or phone maker, but I know hands down, my galaxy s6 blows my iPhone 6 out of the water, with picture quality. The camera is one of the most important features on a phone for me.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

This video should give j00 the best comparison:

https://youtu.be/b_1Bgfl6qvk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All the top smartphones make great photos now. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but have improved a lot. I'm happy with my 6s Plus camera. My son is happy with his Note 5 camera.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen