Calling All Cross-Platform Guru's!! | Android Rooting/Hacking to iPhone Jailbreaking

biggjoe

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'm still pretty new to TiPb and I wasn't sure if I am posting this in the correct category...so please bare with me.

I've done the equivalent of iOS Jailbreaking on the following Mobile OS Platforms:

1. - Android (Rooting/Hacking/Custom Recovery, Kernals, Nandroids, Custom ROMs, etc.)

2. - Palm/HP WebOS (Developer Mode/WOSQI/PreWare/Custom Kernals/Patching/Themes, etc.)

3. - Blackberry (BBSAK/Vendor-Independent Custom OS/CODs/Themes, etc.)

...now, I need to ramp-up and get up-to-speed with iPhone Jailbreaking.

I just purchased a Sprint iPhone 4 running iOS 5 (Not the iPhone 4s).

After a lot of reading and researching, I was able to Jailbreak the Sprint iPhone 4 running iOS v.5.0 with the following tool: redsn0w_0.9.9b7 which is only a 'Teathered-Jailbreak' (The newest term I have learned in the past few days...hehe).

Actually, for some reason, RedSn0w was having problems fetching the correct info from the Apple Servers. So as the fix, I had to download the IPSW file for my Sprint iPhone 4 (iOS 5), then from within 'RedSn0w' under 'Extras'...I had to manually 'select' the IPSW that I downloaded on my computer...but whatever, it worked.

From there it worked flawlessly.

My Request:

For those of you who know all about 'Rooting Androids'...can you help me transition to the iPhone scene and let me know what kind of hacks/mods can and cannot be done on the iPhone, compared to Android. I'm referring to items such as:

1. - Installing a Custom Recovery App or it's equivalent

2. - Creating a Nandroid Dump or 'Image Snapshot' or it's equivalent

3. - Running Custom ROMs & Kernels, etc.

4. - Overclocking

5. - OS Backup / App Backup / App-Data Backup (iCloud seems really cool, even though the Palm/HP WebOS had been doing it long before with the 'Palm Profile' feature via the Cloud).

6. - Techie Apps (SSH Terminal, HotSpot functionality, Packet Sniffing Apps, SMB Browsing through WiFi, Built-in FTP/FTPS Server, etc.)

Thank you so much in advance!!!!!!

B1ggJoe

:cool:

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my DX and then I jumped when Verizon got the ip4. I'm not to sure but I think there is no custom roms like "liberty". There are themes that change the look. I also don't believe there is "overclocking" either.

biggjoe

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Aw, you crossposted...I responded to this over at the Jailbreak and Unlock Forum. :)

Most of these don't really have equivalents on iPhone - you don't need recovery apps, image snapshots, or custom ROMs. All modifications are done "piece by piece" via installing things from Cydia, instead of by installing completely new ROMs.

You can look at PkgBackup as a type of backup solution. There isn't really such thing as overclocking an iPhone.

For techie packages, check out iFile (file browser with Dropbox integration), OpenSSH (SSH and SFTP, and see "Root Password How-To" on the Cydia homepage for advice on a terminal app), TetherMe (hotspot), Pirni Pro (packet sniffing), and other stuff in the Featured lists.

I realize that it's been a VERY LONG TIME since this initial post...however I am curious to know of some of the big changes that have taken place and also what else is new and recommended?

I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4s running iOS v6.0.1. I have been having all sorts of 'buggy' issues, so I was going to do a Firmware Restore...then re-jailbreak. Then I thought...perhaps I should just upgrade to iOS v6.1.2...since v6.1.3 doesn't have an option to Jailbreak.

Is there any way to upgrade specifically to v6.1.2? iTunes is only showing v6.1.3 unfortunately.

Also, I have heard some cool things about a utility called iLEX R.A.T. However, I'm not sure if it's the older version of iLEX RESTORE...or if the two are completely separate utilities.

I am looking for a way to do the following:

1. - Backup all of my Cydia Apps, Custom REPOS and Settings

2. - Backup all of my regularly installed Apps and Settings

3. - Do a complete Firmware Restore

4. - Then Restore my Cydia Backup (Apps/Repos/Settings)

5. - Restore all of my regular Apps & Settings.

Thank you all in advance!!

BJ

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are apps in Cydia that will do cloud based back-ups... but make sure they're actually using a cloud... iTunes will give you your #2 wish... and #3 as well... you'd want to do #5 next... then jailbreak and only after your jailbreak is complete do step #4.

biggjoe

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
There are apps in Cydia that will do cloud based back-ups... but make sure they're actually using a cloud... iTunes will give you your #2 wish... and #3 as well... you'd want to do #5 next... then jailbreak and only after your jailbreak is complete do step #4.

kch50428,

Thank you! As far as Cydia Cloud-based apps, are there any that you recommend or use in particular? Also, if I understand you correctly, the following is the appropriate order of backing up and restoring my iPhone 4s:

1. - Backup all of my Cydia Apps, Custom REPOS and Settings (Cloud-based App)

2. - Backup all of my regularly installed Apps and Settings (iTunes)

3. - Do a complete Firmware Restore (iTunes)

4. - Restore all of my regular Apps & Settings (iTunes)

5. - Jailbreak

6. - Then Restore my Cydia Backup (Apps/Repos/Settings)

???

Thanks,

BJ

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Please stop giving jailbreaking advice Keith.

If he does #3, he won't be able to do #4. There's no way to downgrade the 4s.

If he wants something similar to a restore, he has two general options: semi-restore or ilex rat. He cannot touch iTunes. If he followed your advice, you've managed to successfully prevent another user from maintaining the jailbreak they want.

biggjoe

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Please stop giving jailbreaking advice Keith.

If he does #3, he won't be able to do #4. There's no way to downgrade the 4s.

If he wants something similar to a restore, he has two general options: semi-restore or ilex rat. He cannot touch iTunes. If he followed your advice, you've managed to successfully prevent another user from maintaining the jailbreak they want.

natasftw,

Is there a difference what-so-ever between iLEX RAT vs. iLEX Restore?

They both claim to restore Cydia Apps/Settings in their description...however I don't see this as an option on either.

Any other recommendations/suggestions that you have, based on what I want to do?

Thank you!!

BJ

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
natasftw,

Is there a difference what-so-ever between iLEX RAT vs. iLEX Restore?

They both claim to restore Cydia Apps/Settings in their description...however I don't see this as an option on either.

Any other recommendations/suggestions that you have, based on what I want to do?

Thank you!!

BJ

I've never used either. I've been pretty lucky with the evasi0n jailbreak so far. Users have had pretty mixed reviews with the semi-restore option.

There's one here that swears by ilex rat. I'd play around with that one to figure it out.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen