Buying an Apple watch series 2, need suggestions

maverick786us

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I skipped the entire first generation apple watch, and patiently waited for the second generation, because I didn't want to be the early adopter, I wasn't placed with the processor (until watch OS3 showed up which brought some improvement) and the battery life, because in case of a smartphone charging everyday or every alternate day is fine, but not with the case of a wrist watch, even if its the worlds best smartwatch.

Now I have decided that I will but series 2 apple watch, I will go for the stainless steel version, because i want something that you wear in parties, i don't want the sports version. But before making a purchase, I need this suggestion. Smartphones is something that you upgrade every year or every 2 years. Wrist watch is not something that I would upgrade that frequently. I will not upgrade my apple watch for another 4 years. Yes unless apple brings something ground breaking in its smartwatch within 2,3,4 years, like...

1) Making it slim and yet have a superb battery life.
2) Implementing something like tough solar, where the battery automatically charges using natural source of light (something we see in Casio watches).
3) Greatly improved battery life that would last for a week or more.

Then I might consider upgrading my watch within 2-3 years. But do you think the extra premium is worth, when its inevitable that upcoming generations could make todays adopters regret the premium they paid for the stainless steel version?

If I explain in simple words, imagine, "one of your spend your entire one month salary for a stainless steel version of apple watch series 2, and within 2-3 years you noticed, that next 2 generation apple watch was so ground breaking, that you are tempted to buy it, but then you realised, oh crap!!! why did i pay that extra premium for stainless steel version when I had to purchase again within 2 years, i should have saved the money and should have gone for the aluminium version"

Hope you got my point

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you want suggestions or want to prove a point? If you want suggestions, I suggest you disregard your point and make the purchase. The Watch is a watch that is very good at notifications, certain health aspects, replying, and a few other things. I have the first generation aluminum Watch Sport and I've worn it every single day since getting it a year and four months ago. I have no plans whatsoever in replacing it with a series 2 unless it somehow breaks.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally I purchased the sport version because it's ultimately a tech product that at some point will be replaced with a new tech product that I will want.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
TLDR ....

Do you have a question?

Actually, I did read it but it was way too long and rambling and still .....

Do you have a question?

Do we think that the "premium" is worth it for the stainless steel version? Is that your only question out of all of that? Only you can answer that question for yourself.

I skipped the entire first generation apple watch, and patiently waited for the second generation, because I didn't want to be the early adopter, I wasn't placed with the processor (until watch OS3 showed up which brought some improvement) and the battery life, because in case of a smartphone charging everyday or every alternate day is fine, but not with the case of a wrist watch, even if its the worlds best smartwatch.

Now I have decided that I will but series 2 apple watch, I will go for the stainless steel version, because i want something that you wear in parties, i don't want the sports version. But before making a purchase, I need this suggestion. Smartphones is something that you upgrade every year or every 2 years. Wrist watch is not something that I would upgrade that frequently. I will not upgrade my apple watch for another 4 years. Yes unless apple brings something ground breaking in its smartwatch within 2,3,4 years, like...

1) Making it slim and yet have a superb battery life.
2) Implementing something like tough solar, where the battery automatically charges using natural source of light (something we see in Casio watches).
3) Greatly improved battery life that would last for a week or more.

Then I might consider upgrading my watch within 2-3 years. But do you think the extra premium is worth, when its inevitable that upcoming generations could make todays adopters regret the premium they paid for the stainless steel version?

If I explain in simple words, imagine, "one of your spend your entire one month salary for a stainless steel version of apple watch series 2, and within 2-3 years you noticed, that next 2 generation apple watch was so ground breaking, that you are tempted to buy it, but then you realised, oh crap!!! why did i pay that extra premium for stainless steel version when I had to purchase again within 2 years, i should have saved the money and should have gone for the aluminium version"

Hope you got my point

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I bought Version 1 sport watch last year and then bought the SS version about 6 months later. A year later I purchased the SS Space Black version. Today, is the first day with the new watch so, its hard to tell but, has left me wondering if the upgrade makes sense. Feels like the same watch. The display is more or less the same. The speed is better but with the OS3, my old one sped up.

I am used to upgrading my smartwatches frequently My first one was the Samsung Galaxy Gear. Then I bought Gear 2 and then Gear S. In the middle of all of that, I also bought the Moto 360, LG Urbane and the Asus Zenwatch.

Prior to all of that, I had a Citizen EcoDrive which I owned for 5 years and before that I had a Swiss Army watch that I wore for 10 years. So wrist watches, I agree, you won't see the need to buy a new watch that often.

With Smartwatches though, that is another story. With each iteration of Android Wear and Samsung Time the need to upgrade was more imminent than with the Apple. The Apple watch is more about longevity and keeping it for a longer period of time. It is also much more expensive than the Samsung and/or Android Wear.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I didn't read the post, but merely suggest buying the one you want, test it for a few days. If you don't like it, for whatever reason, return it ;)

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to get the stainless steel one but I saw a lot of pictures with scratches on it so I got the sports instead. I love it so far... It looks super classy with the leather bands. I went to the apple store to really compare it with the stainless steel one but I ended up liking more the sports because it can be classy with a leather band or sporty with the sports band. I didn't like how the stainless steel looked with the sports band.... it looks weird for my taste. But this is my personal opinion, it's up to you after all!!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I got the original Stainless Steel on Day one because- Stainless Steel! It's ok with the Sports band, but nothing like leather to dress it up.

I also have a couple Sport versions for just the reason you stated- they look great with either leather or poly. The Brown Classic Buckle dresses up any of the Watches except maybe the Ceramic. It's on my list.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice