Buying a New 3GS Without a Contract

jimmysuggs

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to get my girlfriend a new 3GS, since she's been using a 3G since she got the iphone and 3G won't be able to use a lot of features from 4.0, etc. Only problem is, getting the phone without also getting a contract, which of course she doesn't need. I'm assuming there's no way to do this without buying an unsubsidized phone at an insane price? At this point she's probably eligible for an upgrade to iphone 4, but money is an issue for her and I don't think she's gonna trade up just yet. I thought maybe I could get her a 3GS to use in the meantime, so she could have a nicer phone and enjoy 4.0 while she's waiting to be able to upgrade to the iphone 4.

But am I out of luck on this? I assume her having a contract already wouldn't help me at all? I'd like this to be a surprise, but I also can't really swing the 500 bucks or whatever it costs to buy the unsubsidized version, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I assume you are in the US. No matter what option you take, you must get a 2 year contract. If you pay full price for the phone, there is a ZERO dollar termination fee. Get it subsidized, and there is a pro-rated $325 early termination fee.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
If you are on ATT and are eligible for an upgrade you can get the 3GS 8GB for $99. If you want to get a phone with no contract, just add $400 to the price of the contract price.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Two year contract is mandatory according to AT&T's website, whether you paid full price for the phone or $99 for it. Even if you give your phone to your main squeeze for free, she still needs a minimum data plan and 2 year contract.

I don't know for sure how it would work if you add her to your plan however.

Last edited:

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure there is a mandatory 2 year when you bring you own phone to an existing account, what i do know is that any smartphone requires a mandatory data plan. to be more specific my friend added my old 3g to his account and all he had to do was change the data from blackberry to iphone and his plan stay the same and no 2 years were added to his contract. also got my mom a go phone to replace her lost phone and the account never changed.:cool:

vaxxxx

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get my girlfriend a new 3GS, since she's been using a 3G since she got the iphone and 3G won't be able to use a lot of features from 4.0, etc. Only problem is, getting the phone without also getting a contract, which of course she doesn't need. I'm assuming there's no way to do this without buying an unsubsidized phone at an insane price? At this point she's probably eligible for an upgrade to iphone 4, but money is an issue for her and I don't think she's gonna trade up just yet. I thought maybe I could get her a 3GS to use in the meantime, so she could have a nicer phone and enjoy 4.0 while she's waiting to be able to upgrade to the iphone 4.

But am I out of luck on this? I assume her having a contract already wouldn't help me at all? I'd like this to be a surprise, but I also can't really swing the 500 bucks or whatever it costs to buy the unsubsidized version, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe?

Non contract Iphones are going for $325-$400 on ebay now if its a 32gb version. Your not getting a 3GS for much under the subsidized price. Stick with what you got or shell out the big dollars.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative