Bought the Gold iPhone 7 but now think I should have got the Jet Black version

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just received my shiny new Gold iPhone 7 128 on Friday and I do love my new toy, but after seeing the new jet black model at the Apple store I am regretting not getting the jet black model when I pre ordered mine on the first day when the device became available. What really bothers me is that why does Apple not have some demo device available to T-Mobile and the other carriers when the pre orders start???

Instead they wait until the official release day and even then some carriers never get their demo device until a couple of days after. It would have been nice to be able to touch and see the device instead of seeing a picture and depending on the sales folks to accurately describe what the finish looks like. Now if I want the jet black version, I have to wait until November to get it even if I was to try and exchange my new gold model for the jet black one. Just venting a little.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I always preorder but this year I held off until seeing the jet black version. Having seen it yesterday, I chose the Rose Gold again this year because it will match my Apple Watch 2 and my iPad.
I agree that it would be nice to see them before preorder but I understand why Apple holds off. I can't think of any company that has the phones out for the public ahead of preorder.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I saw the jet black in the AppleStore and I am so happy I didn't choose that instead.

It didn't look as good as I thought it would.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I just received my shiny new Gold iPhone 7 128 on Friday and I do love my new toy, but after seeing the new jet black model at the Apple store I am regretting not getting the jet black model when I pre ordered mine on the first day when the device became available. What really bothers me is that why does Apple not have some demo device available to T-Mobile and the other carriers when the pre orders start???

Instead they wait until the official release day and even then some carriers never get their demo device until a couple of days after. It would have been nice to be able to touch and see the device instead of seeing a picture and depending on the sales folks to accurately describe what the finish looks like. Now if I want the jet black version, I have to wait until November to get it even if I was to try and exchange my new gold model for the jet black one. Just venting a little.

I'm with you on this one, I picked up a gold iPhone 7 plus but I think I'm going to get the jet black iPhone 7 plus when it gets available. That black looks good

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I went with matte black because I don't want to deal with the scratches that will show way more on the jet black. And doesn't make sense to put a case on it to protect from scratches and cover up the phone.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I initially ordered the jet black iPhone. After seeing the scratches on them from YouTube and visiting the carrier and Best Buy I cancelled the order and went with the gold.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I initially ordered the jet black iPhone. After seeing the scratches on them from YouTube and visiting the carrier and Best Buy I cancelled the order and went with the gold.

Interesting, I was looking for information on what type of process they used for the jet black coating, but couldn't find anything. I was also curious about future scratches and long term wear.

I still like the shiny black finish after seeing it myself at the Apple Store. Now it's time to search for any information on the finish process.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
On their own product page, Apple even mention that the Jet Black scratches easier than the other ones, although they call them 'micro abrasions.' This, plus the fact that I hated the look of my shiny iPhone 3Gs, prompted me to go with the Matte Black instead of the Jet Black.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I was looking for information on what type of process they used for the jet black coating, but couldn't find anything. I was also curious about future scratches and long term wear.

I still like the shiny black finish after seeing it myself at the Apple Store. Now it's time to search for any information on the finish process.

On Leo Laporte today (twit tech tv), he said that it appeared to be paint applied onto the surface and that's how the jet black was applied.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store today with the intention of buying the jet black but thank god I was able to look at a demo first. Of course it looks good but the fingerprint and dirt that is just stick on that surface.... I mean it gets dirty too easily. I put it back on the stand and walk out of the store with a matte black.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/apple-jet-black-iphone-none-more-black/

Check out this article and the vids in between the paragraphs. Also, there is a clip in the Keynote where Ive describes the process I believe.

Jiggar101

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I think with normal wear and tear, the matte finishes are always best. Anything with a mirror type finish is always more susceptible to minor scratches because it is highly reflective. Always go for a light matte finish. You will see it less in the silver than any other color.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there is a description of the process in the keynote. I don't know where in the keynote it is but I watched it and it specifically talked and showed video about the 9step process it takes to get the beautiful finish. I was going to go with jet black but as I was deciding on preorder day it became unavailable on sept 16 so I went with the matte black. It was a great decision as I love my matte black iphone 7 256gb

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2