Bought New MacBook Pro

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It's my first Mac laptop and computer from a windows.. I'm wondering how do I transfer my photos to the Mac and everything in iTunes to the Mac? Also I have an iPhone 5S I use iCloud but I turned off iMessage as I don't like it and was causing me problems.. Anyways on my Mac it keeps asking me if I want to login into my iCloud.. Will that turn the iMessage on again or something on my phone? Thanks

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When you sign into iTunes on your MBP, all the items you have in iTunes on your PC should be there. As for any pics or other files you have on your PC, a friend of mine used migration assistant to transfer her stuff. Here's the link to the steps Switch Basics: Migrate your Windows files to your Mac

And turning on iCloud on your Mac will not enable iMessage on your phone if you have it turned off.

Good Luck and Enjoy your new Mac!!

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Wow its wonderful congratulations 4 ur macbook pro, have a great time and good utilize 4 ur work.

Sent from Tapatalk 2

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a 13" rMBP last week myself. I'm loving mine. I transferred everything from my iTunes on my PC to my Mac using Home Sharing. And as said before, putting in your iCloud password won't turn on iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Also regarding the battery.. Will I kill the battery if I keep the power source on even through it at 100%?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Also regarding the battery.. Will I kill the battery if I keep the power source on even through it at 100%?

That's not what kills the battery, keeping a full charge in warmer temperatures kills the battery as will lower charges in cooler temperatures. I would not leave it plugged it all the time.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok Thanks just wondering. So when it's at 100 or overnight don't leave it plugged in..

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the migration to Mac for photos and it's taking a very long time it says 9 hours.. For 1.8 GB.. What should I do? Also when I plug my iPhone into my new Mac it won't sync? How can I make everything on my iPhone go into my Mac?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I used Home Sharing, but the way iTunes syncing works is that your iPad, iPod, or iPhone can only sync to one iTunes. Unless you have everything from iTunes on your PC transferred to your Mac you will lose it. However you can still back up to any iTunes, I would recommend just backing up until all your files are transferred, then tell iTunes on your Mac to sync with your iPhone,

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok. How do I get all my pictures from my PC to my Mac? The home sharing doesn't do it. I don't have the pics on iTunes it's on my computer and the migrating thing is taking to long it said 9 hours for 1.8 GB of pics..

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Also when I plugged my iPhone into the Mac and wanted to sync it did but I can't sync new songs on it from the computer as when I click on music it said it will erase the music on my iPhone and replace it with the iTunes library I don't want that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I would probably use a flash drive for photos then, or iCloud. But yes, it will erase the sync from your PC and sync with Mac. As long as everything is transferred it takes about two minutes and nothing changes on your phone, especially if you back up before hand just in case.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok. What do u mean as when I plug my iPhone into my new Mac into iTunes and I clicked back up.. It did but when I choose music photos etc.. All are unchecked. When I check mark it it says it will erase? I don't want that. And I use iCloud as my back up.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That's to sync everything, the backup saves all your data and layouts and everything. You don't want to sync with your Mac until after you've transferred everything from your PC first, and after you sync with iTunes on your Mac you will get the same message on your PC if you try to sync with that iTunes.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your new MBP, outstanding device.

-To migrate your content from your PC to your Mac you have different options:
1- You can use home sharing, but if it's too slow or messy then
2- Use an external hard drive or usb flash or
3- Download Box, Google Drive, Dropbox desktop app (or whatever cloud service of your choice) into your PC, move all your stuff there ---> Download desktop app in your Mac --> download all your stuff here. That's it, easy peasy.

- To backup your iPhone (and download your content) in your new Mac you need to do a couple of things:
1- You need to authorize your iTunes in your Mac.
Plug your iPhone > open iTunes > go to "Store" in the menu bar > Authorize this computer
2- Right click your iPhone in the list (on iTunes) choose back up and/or transfer purchases.

Keep in mind that it will back up your settings, apps etc but not the music, if you try to sync your iPhone (and its music) with your new Mac BUT the music is not in your Mac, chances are it will be erased on your iPhone. As far as I know, you cant back up the music you didnt purchase in the iTunes store back to your mac, you have to do that manually.

To Transfer your music from your PC to your Mac, you can use different methods, the one I used was: I transferred the whole iTunes media folder from my PC > external hard drive > Dragged into iTunes on my Mac (of course I set up iTunes to automatically keep my music folder organized).

I hope this helps.

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok Thanks i will try that.
Also my other concern how to make sure the battery stays healthy? Leaving it charging all the time is bad for the battery? Or should i keep it on battery most of time and only plug it in when it gets low and then charge it up to 100% then take it off again?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro