Bought new iPad Mini from Verizon - came with MDM on it

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a new iPad Mini 6 directly from the Verizon website. When I went to activate it, it had a message that the device was managed by the "Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs".

I'm in Virginia. And this is a personal device not a work device. And again, I bought it directly from Verizon.

I was on the chat with two Verizon reps last night and they walked me through the usual "steps". I reset the device 3 times. But of course, the MDM is still there.

Before I take it to a Verizon store to have them swap it out, can anyone confirm that neither I nor even Verizon can remove the MDM. Only the agency that put it on there can do that, right?

Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That is mostly correct.

Apple might be able to remove it, but you would need the absolute original purchase receipt - the one that was provided when the device was initially purchased from Apple - and that’s not a guarantee.

Your best bet is to have it exchanged with Verizon.

Reactions: scruffypig

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses.

I took it to a Verizon corporate store. They, of course, couldn't do anything. But they also didn't have any in stock.

I ended up having them cancel the whole order and do a return for the Mini.

Then I bought a WiFi only model at Best Buy, which was on sale. Probably didn't need the cellular anyway. Will save me money over the long run.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses.

I took it to a Verizon corporate store. They, of course, couldn't do anything. But they also didn't have any in stock.

I ended up having them cancel the whole order and do a return for the Mini.

Then I bought a WiFi only model at Best Buy, which was on sale. Probably didn't need the cellular anyway. Will save me money over the long run.
I am so glad that situation has been resolved!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro