Bought a new iPhone 8 yesterday

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone else notice a very faint sizzling crackling popping sound just barely audible when you put your ear right against the back of your iPhone near the charging point when it’s charging? I have to know if this is normal otherwise I’m not gonna be able to trust this thing to burn the house down

Edit: it is making the noise even when it is not plugged in

Last edited:

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Again, contact Apple Support. They should be able to answer your question very quickly.

OK I contacted Apple support and the girl I talked to never heard of this ever happening before and then they had to put me through to a supervisor and they said it sounds like it might be a software glitch so I’m going to wipe the phone clean and then reinstall everything later today by iCloud, as I have no laptops to connect to iTunes, they also ran a diagnostic over the phone and it didn’t show anything but that doesn’t mean there’s not something wrong she said.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
OK I contacted Apple support and the girl I talked to never heard of this ever happening before and then they had to put me through to a supervisor and they said it sounds like it might be a software glitch so I’m going to wipe the phone clean and then reinstall everything later today by iCloud, as I have no laptops to connect to iTunes, they also ran a diagnostic over the phone and it didn’t show anything but that doesn’t mean there’s not something wrong she said.

Hoping that solves it! Please let us know.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Hoping that solves it! Please let us know.

Well I did it I reinstalled everything from scratch using iCloud that didn’t do the trick so I took it to a local place and they professionally wiped it and reinstalled it and that didn’t stop the battery for making a slight sizzling sound when it charges or even when it’s not charging, but the beeping is a lot less it only beeped once at 50% so I don’t know I’ll probably trade it in towards a new SE or something but I’ll go as long as I can with it.

If I don’t think it’s safe anymore then I’ll definitely trade it when I’m back in my city. Not going to bother shipping it off to Apple I don’t have a back up phone except an old BlackBerry and that’ll be a long three weeks.

Edit: For all I know this phone was making this slight battery gurgling for as long as I’ve had it but I’ve just never listened to it

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Everything is restored now from the iCloud install except my debit card in apple wallet. Does this normally take longer to restore? I had it checked off on iCloud and it did put back a few lesser important cards but the main bank card is the one.

I phoned the bank yesterday and they said you do not need to put any “security code” for the bank card in the apple wallet but I seem to recall having to do this last year when I got this new iPhone 8. He said the next time you use the wallet to buy something it should send me a code to enter on the spot, but I don’t think he knows what he is talking about.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Yes definitely let us know how you do with this!

Ok I figured it out. I had to log onto my bank app and from there you can add the card to apple wallet and PRESDO! I’m all done setting up now and I noticed a little bonus of about 4 gigs of space back on the phone, probably because a few apps got bloated after 5 months of use!

Thanks for the help everyone

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
OK so I still had issues with the brand new 9 foot Belkin charging cable and another braided cable. The charging was intermittent and it would cut in and out and it was pretty bad the last little while. The software reinstall only worked for about three or four days I can’t explain that. So today I bought an official 2 metre or 6 foot Apple lightning charging cable and so far so good because the girl said that Apple cables are the only ones that Apple guarantees will work perfectly with your iPhone. I tested the Apple official 3 foot cable yesterday and it seem to work better no problems but I needed a lot more slack so today I went for the 6 foot, $40 Canadian.

Hopefully charging issues are all gone now.

I talked to a friend of mine and she said she only uses Apple or Anker (sp?) cables On her iPhone 8 and she has absolutely no problems with charge cutting in and out and she thinks that the Anker are the closest to Apple cables.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I have also had problems with numerous ”Apple certified” cables, but the official ones are easily damaged and therefore have to be replaced rather frequently.

Since my husband and I have a tight budget, we need durable alternatives.

Can anyone here provide information about where to get *approved* braided cables, or how to persuade Apple to make changes?

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I have also had problems with numerous ”Apple certified” cables, but the official ones are easily damaged and therefore have to be replaced rather frequently.

Since my husband and I have a tight budget, we need durable alternatives.

Can anyone here provide information about where to get *approved* braided cables, or how to persuade Apple to make changes?

As long as there were no charging issues when those Apple cables were brand new because I’m typically not hard on my cables, so I’m hoping mine will last but I’m just tired of the cutting and cutting out when it comes to charging. The Belkin is a very heavy gauge cable and I thought it would be good but I guess not

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely no charging issues with the 6 foot official Apple charging cable. That had to be the problem all along.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
So nine months of having this phone 8 and I’m pretty happy with the battery health it’s 98%. Is that pretty good? I sometimes have to charge a couple or a few times a day and I usually let it go down to about 40 or 50% and then bring it up to about 95 or 100. I try not to use the Belkin wireless charging pad too much because of the extra heat and it’s pretty hot in the summertime but have used it every other day for top ups if my cables aren’t around.

It’s still charging perfectly but I have to use the Apple 6 foot cable or my Apple 3 foot cable. Phone is still very fast.

Going to keep on trucking

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Something is going on, I went from 98% battery health on August 1 to 94% in a few weeks. Even with my iPhone 7 it took well over a year to hit that low and to drop 5% in a couple of few weeks, I’ve never experienced that. Also since his latest iOS update I’ve had to charge my phone three times a day as opposed to once a day before for most days. Somethings going on I mean in a couple months my phone will be useable. I don’t know what’s going on but I hope this new update iOS 14 will fix it it can’t come soon enough because I’m not gonna have much battery health left, and I’m not doing anything different or any different apps that I had before in fact I deleted a few in the last couple of weeks!

Just did a reset network settings I’ll see if that makes a difference but that battery loss for health is permanent.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Cannot get picture in picture to work no matter what I try on my iPhone 8, it should work with Youtube and I read that the 8 is compatible so I don’t know what’s going on