Bought 3GS on Launch Date? when will you be upgrade eligible?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Ya, thats what I paid for my 3GS. Hopefully I should be able to get an upgrade. I love Rogers and they have been great since I switched off of god awful Bell when the 3GS came out.

Yeah but unfortunately Bell/Telus now have an incredible network with even better coverage than Rogers and the speeds are easily twice as fast, almost 3x.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but unfortunately Bell/Telus now have an incredible network with even better coverage than Rogers and the speeds are easily twice as fast, almost 3x.

Really? Maybe it is time to switch to Telus like everyone else in my family. Hmm.

EDIT! I take that back. After looking at Telus' Data plans they are terrible. I pay $100 or so a month on Rogers, and I get 6GB of Data, Unlimited MMS, SMS, 150 mins of talk time, unlimited nights and weekends, my 5 and visual voice mail. On Telus.. the most I can get with the $100 plan is 3GB of data.. that will not due. I have used 4.7 this month out of my 6GB. I am what you call. A heavy user.

EDIT! AGAIN! I take back the first edit. I am most likely switching to Telus with the $65 plan.

Last edited:

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I think that the early update is definitely a strategy to lock users in before the Verizon announcement. for various reasons, I have a 3GS and no commitment so I'm a free agent. Upon release on Verizon, I plan to move quickly. Patience will be the hard issue now. I'll want the new iPhone, but I'll need to temper my impatience to upgrade while waiting for a Verizon announcement.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought my 3GS on the launch date and I just checked out my ATT account for upgrade eligibility and I'm able for upgrade on June 20. I'm wondering if it's that date because it's the launch date? Would be a pain to have to wait. I'm really wanting the new phone. Oh well.

Kimifyify

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,
Can anyone help with removing apps .... after my iphone was stolen (with 20mths still to pay on my plan) I took the option of buying a used iphone. So far it has been fine .... except I dont know alot about jail broken phones and because this phone has cydia on it and I dont seem to be able to remove any apps I didnt load via my computer or my app account - i'm guessing its been jailbroken.
I had the phone unlocked so I could use any carrier without any problems but thought that would restore it to factory settings (obviously not). So if anyone could steer me in the right direction....keeping in mind I dont want to end up with an iphone that is an expensive paperweight.... I'd be most appreciative.
Cheers,
Kimi :))

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Anyone think they will allow most people to upgrade to lock them in for another 2 years at the higher breach rate of $350 to keep them from going to Verizon in 2011?
interesting thought. I have thought all along that the higher ETF was about a lock-in when exclusivity ends. You can go to Verizon if you want but AT&T will get theirs first.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have purchased on launch date every year. Last year I paid $499-. My upgrade date is 11/2010. However, there is "no commitment" language in there? Anyone know anything about that? Does it mean that if I pay full price again, I will not have to have a contract?

sirchip

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
man this kills me that i get the 3g and then 4 months later the 3gs comes out. then here comes the 4th g phone and i STILL cant upgrade until October when it seems like there are some people on here that can upgrade come the 20th of the month when they got the 3gs last year....gggrrrrr :D

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
man this kills me that i get the 3g and then 4 months later the 3gs comes out. then here comes the 4th g phone and i STILL cant upgrade until October when it seems like there are some people on here that can upgrade come the 20th of the month when they got the 3gs last year....gggrrrrr :D
Well, it is such inequities that make me object to the price distortions that the "subsidies" introduce.

If the initial cost is such a hurdle, a better way to deal with it would be for the carriers to offer an option to finance the cost of the phone over some agreed upon period. That they do not do so suggests to me that the real issue is resisting 'churn' rather than overcoming resistance to the price of the device. Note that two million in sixty days paid an un-subsidized price for the iPad. Millions have purchased un-subsidized Touches.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Really? Maybe it is time to switch to Telus like everyone else in my family. Hmm.

EDIT! I take that back. After looking at Telus' Data plans they are terrible. I pay $100 or so a month on Rogers, and I get 6GB of Data, Unlimited MMS, SMS, 150 mins of talk time, unlimited nights and weekends, my 5 and visual voice mail. On Telus.. the most I can get with the $100 plan is 3GB of data.. that will not due. I have used 4.7 this month out of my 6GB. I am what you call. A heavy user.

EDIT! AGAIN! I take back the first edit. I am most likely switching to Telus with the $65 plan.

I'm not going to switch to Telus and ESPECIALLY not Bell purely because Rogers has the best customer service. Any time I have a problem, they always fix it, they reimburse me for charges that I technically deserve but was not aware that I would receive, etc. etc. I know that with Bell, everything is the customer's fault. Their customer service is some of the worst ever. Telus is a little better, but it's not like Rogers.

sirchip

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Well, it is such inequities that make me object to the price distortions that the "subsidies" introduce.

If the initial cost is such a hurdle, a better way to deal with it would be for the carriers to offer an option to finance the cost of the phone over some agreed upon period. That they do not do so suggests to me that the real issue is resisting 'churn' rather than overcoming resistance to the price of the device. Note that two million in sixty days paid an un-subsidized price for the iPad. Millions have purchased un-subsidized Touches.

actually the financing of a new phone over say 12 months wouldnt be a bad idea

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
my upgrade date is March 2011 :(

might as well wait for the 2011 iPhone
Perhaps. I upgrade when there is something I want. I pay AT&T grudgingly because I pay in Apple dollars. One of the things I want is the end of AT&T exclusivity. Of course, I want international interoperability too. I plan to save my GSM iPhone and use it whan I travel after I switch to Verizon or Sprint. My Vonage number rings on as many different phones as I like. For the rest of you, there is Google Voice.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I no longer care. I am so tired of being screwed over by the "steaming pile of failure" that I just want to be free of them.

Steve, it is time to end the exclusivity.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Bought my 3GS 1 week after release last June and my line became eligible again as of 05/30/10. w00t!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox